Author Topic: '05 Concours Windshield  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Tobias

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
'05 Concours Windshield
« on: June 21, 2012, 03:19:57 pm »
I was wondering if anyone has tried the MRA 'Arizona' touring windshield.
I tried Gustafson's 20 1/2" windshield and was thoroughly disappointed....
no masking, poor fit and poor design. The stock windshield did a better job.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: '05 Concours Windshield
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 08:05:03 pm »
   I have both Cee Bailey's and a Rifle windshield. I liked both but like the Rifle better. They both have vent slot near the base of the shield. Helps fill in the air vacumn behind the windshield. Without the vent a the air coming around the shield tries to fill the vacumn and can cause a lot of buffeting.
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline mdr

• Road Bike
    • Mark in Austin's C10 Tech Page
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
Mark in Austin, AE5SJ
'01 Concours, Vrooomm
http://www.randols.net/Connie/
Motorcycle Special Events Team - Texas
http://www.mset-tx.org/

Offline Tobias

• Big Wheels
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 11:18:13 pm »
Yep. That's the one

Offline Eppic

• Crockett
  • Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 12:23:57 pm »
Hi Mettler1.
My bike came with the Ceel & Bailey shield.  It looks great, protects well etc., but my normal line of sight is right through the distorted portion up top.  So...I have to sit UP an 2-3 inches to look over the top...rather annoying for me. I'm fairly new to the bike and I discovered I prefer to look over the top of the shield for normal touring.  I just had a small accident and need to replace the "C & B" shield.  I'm looking at the Rifle since it has no little flip of distortion up top.  Why do you like the Rifle better?  As well, do you know if the Rifle has the same angle as the stock shield?  I want to order a Rifle, but my Kawi dealer says the angle is not as severe as the C & B and my after market (lower) Corban seat makes it difficult to judge what size to order.  I probably need a 15, 16 or 17 inch (this accounts for the extra 5" the black base has).  What I need to do is find someone with a pre - 07 bike that has the stock or Rifle shield for me to measure and check out.  Does anybody know of a Concours owner in Winnipeg, Canada that I can talk to?

Suggestions are welcome,
Dave

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 11:27:37 pm »
do you know if the Rifle has the same angle as the stock shield?

No.  While the Rifle base is a direct fit to where the stock shield mounts on the fairing, the stock shield curvs back towards the rider and ends with a flipped edge.

The Rifle only has a simple curve, and does not curve back toward the rider, but extends straight up along the angle of the fairing.
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Uncle Vern

• Road Bike
  • CDA# 0440
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10851
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 10:18:30 pm »
And because the Rifle has only a simple curve instead of a compound curve, I understand it is simpler to make your own extra shield out of plexi, if you should decide you want a shorty summer shield or something tinted...

I am currently rebuilding my 99 after a crash. Previously I had a Rifle and I plan to replace it with another, and probably make a tinted shorty.

Life is a contest between engineers and God. Engineers keep making things more idiot-proof and God keeps making bigger idiots. ;D

Offline Eppic

• Crockett
  • Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 10:01:04 pm »
Stasch, thanks for the info.  So if I understand you correctly, the stock shield (has a flip) curves back to the rider  much more severely than the Rifle. Well, I'm having a difficult time finding a rifle to look at... so I just might order another C&B ...but at the correct height for me.