Author Topic: Access to tool kit case on Councors 1000  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Tango

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Access to tool kit case on Councors 1000
« on: January 24, 2014, 01:41:17 pm »
I just bought a 1986 Concours and am having trouble accessing the tool kit case located I assume behind seat above tail light. Is there a special way of getting it open? I don't want to force it. Thanks. There is no owners manual so I am flying blind.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Access to tool kit case on Councors 1000
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 02:22:37 pm »
Use your key and remove the seat and you can see into the compartment.
But the tool kit is not under the cover at the tail of the bike. it is under the seat, OVER the battery.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Tango

• Big Wheels
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 02:46:28 pm »
Thanks for the good information. Then what is the compartment at the rear for? It seems to be hollow inside...?  Also, this bike is very heavy and is a bi**ch to get it up on stand. Any tricks to raising it up without getting a hernia?  And finally, how often do you change air filter and gas filter?

Offline RodWpg

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 02:50:21 pm »
Episode 1 - 2002 Kawasaki Concours Center Stand
2003 concours winnipeg manitoba canada

Offline Nosmo

• Sport Tourer
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 04:52:09 pm »
That little plastic cover is over the stock plastic "luggage rack", which is useless for anything bigger than a loaf of bread.  Remove the seat and at the rear of the plastic bodywork, just behind the cross-bar that goes between the grabhandles, you'll see a white plastic knurled nut about 3/4 inch in diameter.  Remove that nut and the plastic cover comes off.  Underneath is the little plastic OEM rack.  To attach a real rack for mounting a top case/trunk box, you remove that rack and install whatever kind of adapter/support plate your real luggage requires.  Kawasaki thoughtfully supplied a little tab on the front surface of the rear fender, just behind the battery box, where you can mount the plastic cover to stow it out of the way if you remove it while "on the road".  I think everyone in the real world just tosses it into their junk box in the basement.

Air filter servicing depends on your environment.  I clean mine at every oil change (3,000 miles for me, we will NOT discuss oil here).  The air filter is foam with a TINY amount of 30-wt oil wiped onto it.  Clean it carefully with a light petroleum solvent like Stoddard or kerosene or with a good detergent soap.  Be sure you don't let crap from the outside get to the inside surface.  Rinse well and let it dry.  Blow it gently from the inside to the outside with compressed air if you have that.   Re-oil LIGHTLY by wetting a rag with clean 30-wt and wiping gently on the outside surface.  The stock filter works well, and in my opinion, you won't gain anything by going to an expensive after-market "performance" air filter.  Some of the aftermarket units have been found to be a little taller and can strain the airbox causing it to crack.

The stock fuel filter is part of the fuel petcock inside the tank and does not require regular service, but it is a good idea to drain your tank and check things in there periodically. I do that once a year, but your conditions may vary.  Some have found that the filter screen frame, which is plastic, will distort over time, giving a small space where crap can get by.  That filter is not available from Kaw separately.  You can install an in-line after-market fuel filter.  Some have had success with that, others have found that it causes restriction that gives them performance issues.  I forget the NAPA part number, but do a search on this forum for in-line fuel filter and you can find it.  If your machine has an external fuel filter, then it is not stock, so address that as needed.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 04:56:54 pm by Nosmo »
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 05:23:38 pm »
If I recall, you can go on the Kawasaki.com website and access owner's manuals which you can download as a .pdf file if your bike doesn't have one. It's good info on such things as you asked. I pulled one down for my 2000 and saved it in my "Concours folder" on my PC. Follow this link and then you have a few choices of manual, specifications, etc.

http://www.kawasaki.com/kawasakinew/accessories2/PCCatItems.aspx?intCatalogID=1&intCatalogType=4&ProductTypeID=8&ModelMarketingID=74&ModelYear=1986&ModelCode=ZG1000A1

2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline gottaride

• Crotch Rocket
  • 1994 concours
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10652
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 12:44:29 am »
The area or void beneath the tail rack is full of wire connectors for the turn indicators and brake lights and as such storing tools there is not a really good idea, plus it does get wet and dusty. I use than area to store small lightweight items in doubled heavy weight baggies. Spare head light bulb, turn bulbs, brake light bulbs, fuses, zipties, spare shifter assembly, battery tender etc. If you use really small bags rather than throwing everything in one big bag it's a lot easier to fish them out and place them to avoid breakage. I can just fit a battery tender jr in last and it helps hold everything in place.
On longer tours I now have little concern about blowing a bulb or question whether I have a spare this or that. I make a point to replace anything I use ASAP and enjoy the peace of mind.
Everyone's tool roll varies but a LOT of C10 riders tend to roll with a way beyond OEM kit. I use a typical tool roll that completely covers the seat once rolled out. It's measures about 5" O.D. x 7" long and weights about 9 lbs and lives permanently in the bottom of my left side case.  On trips and in the driveway I use all of it and can manage most common repairs if needed. The battery tray area is way undersized to house an adequate tool kit. If you remove the tray there is room for two carefully sized heavy duty food containers measuring about 5" x 7"x1.5" the lip are held in place with velcro ski straps. I shove one down vertically behind the battery box until it rests against the rear fender....snug fit critical here. There must be zero chance of the container slipping any lower on the fender and possibly coming into contact with the swing arm below. Easy peasy if you find that right fit. Tok my a few tries.
The second container then rests on the flat space directly on top other case and the battery top. A coil of 5/16 clear vinyl tubing lives on top of and protects the battery contacts and helps hold the food cases solidly in place. The two cases contain the darndest collection of stuff you hope to have with you when touring out in the boonies. Case #1 JB Weld, duct tape, more zipties, electrical connectors, wire, rip stop patches for tent and clothes etc. Case #2 tire repair kit both styles w all the trimmings. 12v air pump lives with the tool roll in the pannier. Good luck can be helped by good preparation.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:23:43 pm by gottaride »

Offline squishman

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 08:49:32 pm »
As far as putting it up on the centerstand: Wear good shoes, preferable boots and push down on the centerstand lever more than pulling on the handle. You'll find that most of the lift is from pushing down on the lever. I had a bad right elbow for 2 or 3 years and could not pull a whole heck of a lot and I never had any trouble getting my Conk on the c'stand.
As far as putting it back down: I have always (about 18 bikes) sat on the bike whilst putting it down. And the kickstand is always up when I do that, of course.
Todd
Eagan, MN
1999 Concours (Sold)
2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 09:43:04 pm »
When you GENTLY lift it off the sidestand and feel BOTH centerstand feet touch down, you can gently roll it backward while stepping down on the the piece of the centerstand that sticks out. If you do it right, it'll lift right up on the centerstand. First few times it will be confidence inspiring if you have someone else on the OTHER side while you do this.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Smooooth

• Street Cruiser
  • Syracuse, NY
    • The Kaw Barn
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10396
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 09:39:31 am »
Kawasaki thoughtfully supplied a little tab on the front surface of the rear fender, just behind the battery box, where you can mount the plastic cover to stow it out of the way if you remove it while "on the road". 

I just learned something new!!!!!

Stephen
98 C10
73 Honda CT70
'The Kaw Barn' on Facebook

73"s de WA2FDU