Author Topic: C10 Top Box  (Read 1781 times)

Offline MatthewV

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11899
  • Membership Level: Active
C10 Top Box
« on: March 23, 2015, 10:50:30 am »
Good morning COG. I have just recently purchased my first Connie!! I'm absolutely in love with her. She's a 1999 and looks like she just rolled off the show room floor. I'm going to be doing some touring on this bike and I'm looking at putting on a top box for extra storage. I've been looking on eBay and amazon but I just don't have $250+ for the box and the extra $$$ for the rack to mount it on. If anyone has a top box and a rack laying around please IM me and let me know how much you want for it. I'm going to be traveling down to Mooresville next week for the wrench session and I'd like to have one by then. But if not that's OK too. I'm patient. Thanks.
1999 Kawasaki Concours 59+K miles and still strong
Previous owner upgraded numerous things. I probably should have wrote them all down!!!

Offline DeansZG

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: C10 Top Box
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 09:11:40 pm »
Matt, From a post I made last year,

You'll notice the trunk is one of those cheap....er....economical JC Whitney items that worked perfectly fine for the 40-50k miles & 5 yrs. I had it on the bike, although most use those plastic cutting boards as a base to mount the trunk mount permanently to the rear rack:

My criteria was that I wanted the trunk removable when I arrived at my destination so I could re-install the tail piece cover for that "clean" look of the bike.  I didn't have to deal w/ the obstruction of the backrest, so my solution is a little easier.

1: Made a base plate from 1" aluminum flat stock that replaces factory rack & fits under the rear cover: I machined it & cut some "lightening holes" in it & also installed 5 "lockserts" to accept the base plate for the trunk.

2: next, I machined a riser plate(could also be made taller to adjust backrest height) for the trunk base to get the back rest above the seat, & it also allows the necessary clearance for lid to swing fully open. This view also shows the 5 hold down bolts for the trunk mounting plate:

3: this is in process of bolting the trunk plate to the mount. the two thick rubber washers are to keep the trunk from rattling & the 2 smaller button heads( right & left of the button head w/ the wrench on it) keep the trunk mount & the riser attached to each other:

4: trunk mounted showing the riser plate:

5: another view showing the height of the backrest to the seat:

6: back to stock in less than 5 minutes:

[/quote]

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 11:29:54 pm »
Welcome Matt! and congrats on the bike.
I do miss the cleaner lines without tbe trunk, but U now lwave the trunk on 100% of the time.
I was fortunate and ran across someone selling a Givi with all the stuff for a great price; I hope you have a similar opportunity.
Dean... that's a LOT of hogging, but the end result is very nice, you think it's strong enough?   :rotflmao:
Even Helicoils...

Welcome again Matt.

Jorge

Offline dan4aspen

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 01:06:22 am »
The part DeanZG didn't show was how the to pieces go together?  Does the bottom of the case have holes drilled, to lock the bolts into the helicoils?  Love the setup and added strength of the two plates.  Does rain ever get in the holes if there are holes in the bottom of the case?  Thank you in advance.
BURN RUBBER, NOT YOUR SOUL!!!!!!!

Offline MatthewV

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 11899
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 11:22:52 am »
Dean. Thanks for that info. That looks really good. Unfortunately I do not have the machinery nor the skill to make something that nice. Maybe you can start making them and selling them :great: I'd probably be one of the first in line.
Jorge. I hope I do find a good deal. But that's not normally something that happens in my life  ??? I'll keep searching and only time will tell. All you guys are great on here and thanks for all y'all's input. ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:29:03 am by MatthewV »
1999 Kawasaki Concours 59+K miles and still strong
Previous owner upgraded numerous things. I probably should have wrote them all down!!!

Offline Piston720

• Scooter
  • COG#: 10213
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 03:37:30 pm »
Very nicely done Dean.
Wish I had the machinery to tinker.
Have you considered tapering your riser plate down towards the back of the seat?
I am sure this would be easy for you.
This would put the profile/line of the back box more in line with the profile/lines of the side bags.
In most cases the back box appears like it is ready to fall off the bike.

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into and FJR !!!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7055
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 03:46:16 pm »
Matthew, I sent you a PM with my phone number. I have a complete trunk setup you can have very reasonable price wise.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline DeansZG

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 12:35:46 am »
  Well..... I'll try to answer these ? ? ? in order;

Jorge, not too long after I cobbled it up while I was at the Ford shop(lots of lunch time machining involved :-X), I loaded 'er up & gave it the acid test out to the '07 Nationals in WVa.  W/in a month after I returned home, the missus & I did another wknder...all no muss/no fuss & she felt pretty secure while we were two-wheeled asphalt surfing on those great s.e. Ohio two lanes....

Dan: both rack & riser are T-6061 aluminum plate (were salvaged scrap throw-aways). I modeled the replacement rack after the oem & wanted it to fit under the rear cover!  The two-fold purpose for the riser was: 1. to allow easy switch over w/ trunk to w/out & 2. to raise the trunk up so the back rest on the trunk would clear the seat for r-n-r of the seat while the trunk was in place.
 The replacement rack was mounted using replacement socket head cap screws in the oem locations.
 The trunk base plate was mounted to the riser with the two 1/4-20 button heads(visible in pic#3 to the left-n-right of the bolt w/ allen wrench). I decided to use lockserts for the mating bolts as they hold up well for repeated usage.
 The five 3/8-24 button heads are what connects the trunk base plate /riser combo to the bike.
 The trunk locks into the metal base plate like normal....
 oh..one more item...those round donuts on the trunk plate(pic #3) are shock absorber bushings so the trunk doesn't rattle!

Matt: yes, if I had access to the bridgeport/cnc mill like I used to, I would have made some extras.

Peter: Yes, I could've machined the riser at an angle, trust me, the trunk sits level, it's kind of a bad picture show-casing the side profile of the trunk.  I'm one of those that didn't care for the trunk to follow the forward-canting lines of the bags.

This is all from memory from 'early '07 so I might have forgotten some of the details & I sold the bike in July '12.
     Matt, this looks identical to the case I purchased back in '07:   http://goo.gl/6ROqip    (scroll down a bit)

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 11:14:11 am »
I just scammed an idea from Dean's pics - the alternate bumper / spacers to the rear of the mounting plate to tighten up the fit so the trunk doesn't shake around as much.
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1