Author Topic: Bar raisers for C 1000  (Read 2178 times)

Offline Vasan

• C10 Rider
  • Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Bar raisers for C 1000
« on: February 20, 2015, 06:34:28 pm »
I just bought a set of bar raisers for my 01 Concours 1000 off Ebay.
Here's the link. Might be of interest:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Concours-bar-riser-bar-back-ZG-1000-ZG1000-/111597765061?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19fbbec1c5&vxp=mtr

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
Re: Bar raisers for C 1000
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 07:15:51 pm »
Thanks for the link. My wrists are not happy with the C10 bars so I am looking at risers.

Have you installed them? Are they a simple plug and play? I have read that the choke line is too short and need some finagling or replacement.

Offline Vasan

• C10 Rider
  • Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 07:44:22 pm »
No I have not installed them, just got them today. Actually this will be my first major wrenching challenge on the new-to-me bike. Hope I don't end up dismantling the front forks by mistake.

Considering they are less than half the price of some raisers on other sites, I was surprised to find these to be solid stuff, and nicely finished. And to boot, ground shipping is free.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 03:47:17 pm by None »

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 07:53:06 pm »
Take some pics if you don't mind and let us know how your installation goes. I could use the info and I am sure future guys would appreciate a quick write up/pics as well.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 08:06:50 pm »
At only 1.25" you should not have to change any cables or hydraulic lines. At 1bout 1.75, things get a bit more challenging, especially with the "choke" cable. Murphs' Kits does sell extended cables and lines. I went with an handlebar adapter to fit standard bars, wound up using a Yamaha ATV bar, as recommended by SiSF. The clutch was OK with a bit of "custom" rebending, throttle cables were re-routed, the choke cable and brake lines(two hose stainless) were longer lengths from Murphs'.

Have fun Farkle-ing.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Solomookie

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11738
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 03:29:45 pm »
I installed 1.25" risers in conjunction with Larry Buck's remachined "ZG Bars" over a decade ago and am completely happy with them.  I was able to keep all the stock cables; no problem.  Larry machines your stock handle bars to put a new set of holes "below" the stock holes.  This moves the bars back and in a bit, allowing for a more upright riding position that is also easier on your shoulders.  The handle bars can be converted back to original position simply by changing the set of holes you use for the securing bolts.

'98 Connie x 2, farkle expenditures nearing the GNP of Bolivia; it's a sickness.

Offline goatmar

• Crotch Rocket
  • I do believe, help my unbelief.
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7957
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 05:57:36 pm »
Hey None just a note.......... you might have to hone out the risers a bit.  Depends on the manufacturer, I bought ones like that off ebay too.  Had to hone them out to fit over the forks.  It's easy just get a brake honer.  You might be lucky and they will fit right in.

Good luck.  :beerchug:
Dave Muzzey  St. Charles, IL  COG#7957  '01 Connie  100K miles and counting

Offline Vasan

• C10 Rider
  • Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 11:59:08 pm »
Hey None just a note.......... you might have to hone out the risers a bit.  Depends on the manufacturer, I bought ones like that off ebay too.  Had to hone them out to fit over the forks.  It's easy just get a brake honer.  You might be lucky and they will fit right in.

Hi Dave, You are absolutely right about the tight fit, I smeared a thin film of grease around the fork crown and inside of the risers, and was able to tap it down with a wooden mallet. ( Talking of tight fit , I found the stock clips just as difficult to pry upwards away out of the fork crown.)

But I guess it is a good idea to gently sand  or hone the inside of these blocks just a wee bit to make it fit easier.

These risers did not come with instructions, I used the instructions on Genmar site as a guide:
http://www.genmarmfg.com/kawasakis.html

Since DC Concours asked, I have posted a few pictures, but I am aware there are far more experienced folks on this forum and many that have already done this basic mod.

Thanks

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 01:29:02 am »
Thanks for the pics None. It looks seamless.

Now does it help with your posture/wrist?

My wrist pain happened this winter, the couple of times I took the bike out for a spin. Strange. I was fine all summer.

On a side note, I thought I had low miles on my bike. you have practically none. where did you find this gem?

Offline Larry_Buck_FL

• Industry Member
  • Road Bike
    • Buck Sport Touring
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 3451
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 05:01:38 pm »
Solomookie

Thanks for the kind words about my "ZG" bars. Looks like the covers for the bolts are not there. If you need new ones, send me a PM & I'll get some on the way to you.
Larry Buck - COG 3451, Retired SE-AD, now SE-AAD, Ex - Concourier C-10 Tech Editor, COG National Safety Officer, IBA 5581, MSF-Rider Coach, Forum moderator.

Buck Sport Touring-"Ride Far" www.bucksporttouring.com

Offline Catrinus

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11651
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 11:21:37 pm »
Just over a year ago I bought a 94 C10, after years of wanting one and settling for a couple of Yamaha Secas instead (a 650, a 750 and a 900).  I was AMAZED at how poor the ergomics of the stock C10 are!  I was in pain after 20 minutes.  So I bought these bar risers and then some peg lowerers.  They made a HUGE difference.  The nice thing about the 1.25" risers is that you can use the stock cables... it's pretty much plug and play.  My wrists and back thank me every day, especially on long trips (500 miles a day is about my limit though).  Again, for a bike that is used for long-distance touring, I was surprised at how bad the C10 felt.  I think they're made for smaller japanese people (other than them having to tippy-toe at stop lights since it's a fairly TALL bike).
94 C10 (since Oct 2013) CDA #528
81 Yamaha Seca 550, 82 Seca 650, 83 Seca 750, 83 Seca 900
70 Honda SL175
Yamaha dirt bikes: DT3, RT180, TY250, IT250
Yeah, it's a SICKNESS!