Author Topic: Brake upgrade for Pre 1994 Concours  (Read 7659 times)

Offline 2fast

• Crotch Rocket
  • Red hair & black leather, my favorite color scheme
    • ZG Heat Shields
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Brake upgrade for Pre 1994 Concours
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 10:23:09 am »
Excellent Brian! Long live the c-10! Steve

Are these still available???  Hope so. Please contact me at your convenience. Thank you for offering these and hope they are still in stock....SCoob

Yes they are, I sent you a PM
Brian in Minnesota

Offline Scoobys_piece

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 05:27:04 am »
Well. BiG B has hooked me up with my braces....now...Thanks to another forum member, suggested the zx7 calipers..Glad he did as the zx6 calipers seems to be rather scarce, and pricey for my cheap monkey butt.  Soooo looked at the ZX7 calipers and low and behold, a very nice set for the grand total of 24.00.  Now, all I have to do is get the R7 rotor...320mm outside diameter, 132 inside, with 6 holes and I'll be done.....Thanks again Brian for being such a great person...It's so cool to have someone like this on the forum.

HAS ANYONE ELSE COME UP WITH A ROTOR SOLUTION THAT DOESN"T COME FROM CHINA AND COST 200.00 bucks?  I'm really on a budget.

Oh...another question....has anyone tried the 3 pot tokico's?  Prob spelled that wrong.

Offline Scoobys_piece

• Big Wheels
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2013, 07:03:49 pm »
Got my braces.....ultra cool.  I wanted to post this in an attempt to get the answers that I have posed to Brian.  I asked this question " do the inside, or all the mating surfaces need to be milled down"  I ask inside only, as I think that it's to accomodate the bracket, or do all of them have to be milled down to conform to the inside being milled.  Others may already know this, but I didn't see any reference to it (of course I may have missed it) I also ask if he knows of a milling service, as I may not have access.  Hope this helps!

Offline Capo

• Street Cruiser
  • Greasy Side Down
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10810
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 07:50:16 pm »
Scooby, I came up with a rotor solution. Patience and cunning got me 3 (I'll pick the best 2) 320mm zx rotors that'll bolt right on for $10!!
James in Tampa. Currently being enjoyed are...04 C10,  86 C10 "Cooper" , 04 Honda vt750 "Christine" . The  only previously owned needing mention would be 74 gt750, I cant believe how many of us had a "water buffalo" !!!

Offline GF-in-CA

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 07:55:12 pm »
Capo, that's a pretty sweet deal, but it looks like those will work with the later model C10's, whereas Scooby's looking for the rotors for the pre-'94 upgrade.
Gary F.

1998 ZGX1100
Central Valley California

Offline Capo

• Street Cruiser
  • Greasy Side Down
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 01:10:15 pm »
Oops, sorry scoob
James in Tampa. Currently being enjoyed are...04 C10,  86 C10 "Cooper" , 04 Honda vt750 "Christine" . The  only previously owned needing mention would be 74 gt750, I cant believe how many of us had a "water buffalo" !!!

Offline Scoobys_piece

• Big Wheels
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2013, 06:50:05 pm »
Oops, sorry scoob

No worries mate...Hahuzzzzzzz....Shelby from axe men. I am 80% there, as I've gotten the ROUND rotors, as I googled wave, vs round...lots of opinions,  found this:

http://www.svrider.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-44928.html

I went with the round, cuz it was a personal preference, and after reading the above.

AGAIN, the wave rotors were cool and I almost bought them, but the round rotors, have more of a classic look IMO. And going on a 30 year old sled, I wanted to keep things as "Classic" as possible...I'll post pics when I get to finishing these.

What a great forum....I have developed a thick skin, over at ZL-OA, as the men who own these bikes, have ALOT of opinions to offer and 90 percent of them are just joking around with you...another great site, but the BS factor is a bit more than here....hehehehe.

Also, riderforums.com is a great site as well.  I found my mean streak rear rim conversion on that site and everyone was very helpful.....Thanks again everyone.

Offline Capo

• Street Cruiser
  • Greasy Side Down
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2013, 08:57:56 pm »
Airmonger... You mention both post 93 as well as pre 94 in your most recent post. Without measuring my axles to see which one is 17mm I am not certain what you are up to. But I am very interested so I will stay tuned as at least one of my machines can benefit from the sleeves you are using.

Offline Typhoon

• Tricycle
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 02:55:23 am »
Big thanks to Brian for the brackets!
Here is the whole setup installed onto my 86. As you can see, I have a few other things going on with the bike as well, so no brake lines as yet:

Offline AirMonger

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10838
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 09:58:17 am »
Hey Typhoon, what type speedo drive/speedo are you running with there. Looks interesting.
"It usually takes 20 years before people begin to appreciate a good design." Kevin Cameron

Offline 2fast

• Crotch Rocket
    • ZG Heat Shields
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 01:15:00 pm »
Big thanks to Brian for the brackets!
Here is the whole setup installed onto my 86. As you can see, I have a few other things going on with the bike as well, so no brake lines as yet:

You are quite welcome! Glad to see them mounted up. Looks like you are building a nice nekkid bike there, eh?
Brian in Minnesota

Offline Typhoon

• Tricycle
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2013, 11:24:12 am »
Yep, it's going to be the liquid cooled Z1000/ GT750 Kawasaki should've made in this bike family.
Engine is getting ZX1000 cams & carbs plus an equal length four into one exhaust system among other things. I'm also aiming for a dry weight of 210kg or less.
The speedo drive is for an Acewell dash. In my opinion the thing that really lets down naked Concours conversions is the big, ugly dash. I looked at other Kawasaki dashes but they all either ran very different front wheel sizes, or were hidded behind fairings & just as ugly as the ZG dash when exposed.

Offline 2fast

• Crotch Rocket
    • ZG Heat Shields
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2013, 11:31:54 am »
Nice project! Please stop by from time to time with an update and photos :beerchug:
Brian in Minnesota