Author Topic: Cee Bailey vs Rifle  (Read 6416 times)

Offline Willie

• Bicycle
  • I wana Ride
    • Air Conditioning Spring Texas
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10385
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Cee Bailey vs Rifle
« on: October 25, 2012, 12:33:50 pm »
I'm finally ready to upgrade my OEM wind screen to something better, and looking for the cut down on buffeting, and noise.
I would like to hear from both camps on the pros/cons of each.

Offline cra-z1000

• Sport Tourer
  • Keeping it upright..
  • COG#: 9790
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Cee Bailey vs Rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 12:40:46 pm »
I have a rifle with Saeng Ta micro swirl edging around it . Seems to work great for me . I ride with my face shield up all the time . No bug splat in the face or buffetting .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline eldouble

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 12:43:52 pm »
The buffeting was killing my neck.  The air off the shield was hitting me right at eye level, so the top of my head was getting kicked around, and nothing on the bottom.    I'm 5'10" and bought the Cee Baileys 25.5 inch with the vent.  Zero buffeting and wind noise cut to almost nothing.  I may could have gotten away with the 24.5, but I figured more was better than not enough. I also ride 90% of the time w my face shield open.
My dad on the other hand, loves the stock shield, but he got his seat carved out and sits lower.  He took my OEM shield since I'm never going back.

Miles
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:08:36 pm by Miles »

Offline Deanc

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 10429
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 01:23:05 pm »
I have a Rifle but have never tried a Cee Bailey. 
Rifle system is great if you want to cut your own shields to find what works for you.
I think the Rifle looks good too.
2011 C14 Silver, Canyon Cages, Leo Vince SBK exhaust, Sargent seat, SISF Mountain Runner Flash, etc.
Sold: 2006 C10, 2 MM, SISF torque cams, Overflow Tubes, Murph Tip over bars & pegs, Rifle, Spencer Seat,  etc...  COG#: 10429

Offline SmokinRZ

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9430
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 02:13:07 pm »
I'm 6' 34" inseam and I have 23.5 CB and 25.5 CB.  I have the stock seat and 86 bars that are an inch lower.  With the 25.5 I found myself stretching to look over while navigating city obstacles but it works great on the highway.  With the 23.5 I have to crunch down an inch to get out of that last little bit of wind blast on the highway.  Looks like I need a 24.5  :))  Seriously, I don't think there is a perfect size, only compromises.  I mostly roll with the 23.5.  It was a night and day difference from the stock screen, the Targa I tried was just awful.  Love the CB but Vetter gets good reviews also.         

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 02:37:00 pm »
   I have to wonder how to actually make an informed vote on this unless you have had both shields?  I started to put a rifle on my bike. But I just can't get over how much that goofy looking lower part of the shield blocks in front of me. Although it probably wouldn't make that big of a differance under way. I like being able to see as much in front of my bike as possible. So I never actually used the Rifle. Plus I personally think they are not aesthetically pleasing.   ::)
    I have had a couple of Cee Bailey's along with a couple of other screens on my C10's. Size obviously comes into play with any shield. But like Smokin said. My 86 has lower bars than my 2003 did. Plus it doesn't have the risers I had on the 03 either. So I needed a lower size for the 86 than other C10s might need for me. The 22.5 (stock size) works perfect on the 86. Almost zero wind or buffeting for me. But the 23.5" worked great with the higher bars. Of course I'm on the low side of average (short).  :)) So yes, I have been happy enough with the Cee Bailey shields on my C10 that I have owned a few. They work for me (with the right size). Plus they actually look good on the bike (IMO). 

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 03:19:42 pm »
I'm 6' 34" inseam and I have 23.5 CB and 25.5 CB.  I have the stock seat and 86 bars that are an inch lower.  With the 25.5 I found myself stretching to look over while navigating city obstacles but it works great on the highway.  With the 23.5 I have to crunch down an inch to get out of that last little bit of wind blast on the highway.  Looks like I need a 24.5  :))  Seriously, I don't think there is a perfect size, only compromises.  I mostly roll with the 23.5.  It was a night and day difference from the stock screen, the Targa I tried was just awful.  Love the CB but Vetter gets good reviews also.         

Vetter?  Am I missing something here...?

Update:  I'm 5'10"...30" inseam...Corbin seat...Kneesavers...Gen Mar risers on my '88 C10...

I just pulled the Rifle (23" overall) off my '88, tried a cut-down stocker, and put on a 26.5" CB...the CB is smoother, more quiet, and, I think, looks better...but, it is a lot of shield...maybe the Rifle with Saeng edging...hmmm...or, the Rifle base with a GL1200 shield grafted on...and then there is the Madstad option...pretty sure my search for near-perfection (for me and the missus) continues...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:29:23 pm by CRocker »

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 6953
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 04:25:47 pm »
Having had both, I vote for the Rifle. Unlike the Cap'n I dont mind the lower section. From the front looking at the bike externally so to speak, I agree its not the most aesthetically pleasing thing. But it grows on you. From the riders seat looking out the front, I dont have any problems and here is were I really like the Rifle lower. I think it adds to the dash area gives a nice protected area above the dash. GPS sits nicely down behind it. You can mount stuff to it. Easy to change shield section and make your own.
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline mr t

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 7173
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 05:08:33 pm »
  I've got a Rifle on my 06 which I really like a lot. I've got a C Bailey on my 02 which I also like but not as much. There seems to be too much distorsion on the CB.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Offline Nosmo

• Sport Tourer
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 05:22:53 pm »
I haven't tried the Cee Bailey unit, but with my Rifle, I have no turbulence or wind noise at all.  I wear a Shoei RF1000 helmet, and I ride with the faceshield open 99% of the time, which helps some.  I don't know why it is quieter and smoother with the faceshield open but it is.  Some kind of interaction between the bike windshield and the helmet.  Also, as you can see in the attached pic below, I trimmed the upper corners of the Rifle and I think that may have helped with the turbulence, although I did it just for looks.  I also cut the Rifle down so I just barely look over the top of it.
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline macleod

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: 10215
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 01:12:04 pm »
I got the CeeBaily, works great, talked to the factory tech guy before ordering for about 30 minutes, great input, really helped  make the decision about height and vent.  I later decided to have my stock windshield cut down about 6" and use it for normal distance summer riding, back roads, when I want more air and less see - thru the plastic...now my head is in clear air, my  chest is getting protection, and the view of the road is more sport bike-ish.  The CB screen on long highway days, weather, trips makes all the difference. The stock windshield, for me, 6'1", was awful, not worth keeping as is..just bad helmet buffeting and I like to keep my shield up...

Offline F-106

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 04:31:59 pm »
My bike came with the Rifle with a 14" shield. I use that for the summer riding and I have a 17 in the bronze tint for the winter. I like the setup overall. The base allows you to color match it to the bike if you wish. Overall I woudls say if you like the idea of changing shields from time to time then Rifle is the way to go. 

Offline wahrsuul

• Custom person
  • Mini Bike
  • Text, personal
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 10:53:38 pm »
I had a cut doen stock shield on mo 01, and the Rifle 17" on my 99.  I'm right at 6', and I get a bit of buffeting at the tom of the helmet.  A slight duck down and all is quiet.  I'm thinking I need to invest in a 19" for winter and maybe cut this one down a bit for summer.  Overall I like it tho.
1999 C10

Offline 2fast

• Crotch Rocket
  • Red hair & black leather, my favorite color scheme
    • ZG Heat Shields
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 12:28:32 am »
I have had both. After riding a bike with a Cee Bailey I changed. I think if you run a short Cee Bailey, it may not make much difference. I believe the key is getting the tallest one you can just look over. Height is tricky on them because they slope back towards the rider much more. Getting it close to you is the key.

edit to add: I think having the vent in the Cee Bailey is critical to relieve the back pressure behind the screen and give a higher bubble.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 12:30:17 am by 2Fast »
Brian in Minnesota

Offline Red Eagle

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 12:51:02 am »
I have an '86 with a Rifle (15"/16"). The '86 has the low bars; I'm 5'11"; 32" inseam and the windshield just "fits" me. Never thought about changing it.
Bob Young   COG #5753 C-10 A-1 CDA#307 

Offline Victor Salisbury

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 3673
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 01:13:00 pm »
I've had both, voted the Cee Bailey (w/the vent) for two reasons.  Aesthetics, the CB "looks" better to me, it slopes back along the lines of the bike. Secondly, really made a difference for the passenger wind noise. 

Rode with a Rifle for yearrrrrrs, it did the job, cut down the buffeting, a really quiet setup to ride behind.  but we found out it's more vertical orientation made for a noisy passenger ride compared to the CB.
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673 
'97 Connie "The Grinch" 
Sarasota, FL 
www.cog-online.org 
Stupid Hurts! Wearing protective gear is much more comfortable.

Offline TCBeard

• Tricycle
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 12:30:48 pm »
I have a rifle with Saeng Ta micro swirl edging around it . Seems to work great for me . I ride with my face shield up all the time . No bug splat in the face or buffetting .

Hey cra-z1000,
I've been considering the Saeng Ta micro swirl edging.  What's been your experience with it?  They claim 3"-4" of increased wind protection.  Does it work?  Thanks!

Offline 2fast

• Crotch Rocket
  • Red hair & black leather, my favorite color scheme
    • ZG Heat Shields
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 12:37:29 pm »
I've used it. IMHO it's primarily hype, coupled with a large black line in front of you. The bubble difference for me was minute.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 06:29:23 pm by 2Fast »
Brian in Minnesota

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 6953
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 06:02:19 pm »
I've use it. IMHO it's primarily hype, coupled with a large black line in front of you. The bubble difference for me was minute.

Similar here. I have it on there now. Have not gotten around to putting any write up or pics for my site.

The installation instructions make it sound like its not a good idea to put it on and off a lot. As it wont hold onto the edge of your windshield as well as it should/could. So I have not bothered to do any comparisons with and without.

I took off the Laminar Lip and installed this. The Laminar Lip is better, I think. At least from wind noise point of view the Lip was better at noise reduction.

I do like how the water comes off the windshield with the edge around it. And how much less water gets around the shield and onto the back. I like the edging from that point of view. But I think cheap edging would probably work just as well for this.

Didn't take that long to get used to the black edge going around the shield.

I like the Lip for the increase in noise reduction. But I need to move my mounting points. Its tall enough, and I cannot lower it enough. In the summer its great as its daylight 16 hrs a day, and I hardly right at night in the rain. So looking over it and a ways down the road is not an issue. For the winter, when its daylight barely 8 hrs a day and my evening commute is typically in the dark and in the rain, have to look too far down the road for the headlight, etc. I need to have the Laminar Lip lower down so the top of the Lip is about even with the top of the shield ( versus giving me an extra inch of height ).

I think when I get around to this, I will leave the microswirl edging and install the Lip with it. See how that works. Why not, I have both now.
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline mdr

• Road Bike
    • Mark in Austin's C10 Tech Page
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 05:13:42 pm »
edit to add: I think having the vent in the Cee Bailey is critical to relieve the back pressure behind the screen and give a higher bubble.

I tried reshaping the vent like ?SiSF? suggested, and it seems to have helped.  Basically you need to go all crazy with the heat gun to soften it enough over a large enough area to get enough of a 'ramp' ahead of the slot to get more air.  Bending the tab up and shaping it so the front of it is roughly parallel to the back of the shield helps too.  I think it wound up about 1/4" inch behind, but I'd have to go measure to be sure.
Mark in Austin, AE5SJ
'01 Concours, Vrooomm
http://www.randols.net/Connie/
Motorcycle Special Events Team - Texas
http://www.mset-tx.org/

Offline ManWorkingHere

• Blue Streake
  • Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
  • COG#: 9292
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 07:45:15 pm »
Quote from: 2Fast
I have had both.

= Me too

I believe the key is getting the tallest one you can just look over.
= Me too

Height is tricky on them because they slope back towards the rider much more. Getting it close to you is the key.
= +1

= Me too.

My two cents:  There was a Rifle on my 2001 C-10 when I bought it used.  I broke it the next season and replaced with the tallest Cee Bailey I could get.  I'm 6'"; 34" inseam and the windshield just "fits" me too. I wanted a big shield and had the NACA vent cut into it.  When it gets cold in WI, I use a styrofoam block insert to cut down the breeze.

after 2012 Rally
  Concours 2001 (Blue Streak)  COG#9292

Offline Canadian Steve

• Moped
  • COG#: 7641
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 09:59:36 pm »
I have tried a LOT of things to get a quiet buffetless shield, and still be able to see over. Several C Baileys from 21-26" , Tried a laminar lip. The 26" CB ( finally was quiet but too tall and the top part of a CB is distorted especially in corners) if looking through it.

I had oportunity to trade it for a 19" Rifle. The Rifle is too tall in that I have to look through it, but if I stretch just enough to see over , the noise is back argg....  Good thing is the Rifle optics are really good and if I want quiet, I guess I will have to look through at least in cool weather before short shield.

Funny thing is I never realized how much engine noise there is off a Connie until the noisy air was eliminated. ::)  I guess it cannot be made as quiet as my LT with adj shield.
1999 Concours ...stock cept fer some tweaks by SSIF (sold May/16--goodbye old friend)
2014 FJR

Offline B-Rad

• b-rad
  • Big Wheels
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 03:40:29 am »
 my 86 came with a rifle when i bought it from a guy, and it was really nice but tall, i couldnt see over it but it kept the wind off and noise way down, a real great shield although it was tinted way too dark and i couldnt see out at night so i took it off. I just installed some offroad fog lights that are super bright, thinking about putting it back on now that i can see
ha
there are many bikes out there, but only one can CONCOUR!