Author Topic: Extenders on, or extenders off  (Read 346 times)

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1608
  • Membership Level: Active
Extenders on, or extenders off
« on: May 10, 2018, 01:53:29 pm »
Time for the mental wrestling match – again – like it is every year:

Fairing extenders off and replace with the scoops

or

Leave the fairing extenders on and swap them out AFTER Wellsboro.

Argument for leaving them on: It ALWAYS rains at the Wellsboro rallys + will be riding a little further north (cooler?). They do provide better protection than the scoops.

Argument for taking them off: Been getting up in the high 70s, 80s, and occasional low 90s here lately. Feet and legs have been getting a little warm….. especially when the fan kicks in. I also know we’ll be in slow traffic sections on the trip up, and back. No telling what the weather will be doing, so it remains a crap shoot.

Think I’m gonna roll the dice and swap them out. Shoot, I rode my ’86 a year or so before I even knew they existed, and survived.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
Re: Extenders on, or extenders off
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 09:41:35 pm »
Scoops back on, and in correct direction for summer... reverse scoops for winter, you got fairing wings, I know, and altho they keep off rain, and deflect cold, they don't do much for ya when you are walking a bike for an hour, a foot at a time, in traffic....(I vaguely recallndoing this, with you, my first trip to RWTW..)
 >:( :)) :))

Come on, 4 screws, and temperature relief, not like its rocket science with the garage/lift/airtools you have... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Be safe on spring fling, and north south, I sure would like to go...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 09:58:43 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 09:56:17 am »
Scoops back on, and in correct direction for summer... reverse scoops for winter, you got fairing wings, I know, and altho they keep off rain, and deflect cold, they don't do much for ya when you are walking a bike for an hour, a foot at a time, in traffic....(I vaguely recallndoing this, with you, my first trip to RWTW..)

Come on, 4 screws, and temperature relief, not like its rocket science with the garage/lift/airtools you have... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Ah, how quickly we forget - six (6) screws total, three (3) per side....... NOT four (4).   
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 07:22:55 pm »

Ah, how quickly we forget - six (6) screws total, three (3) per side....... NOT four (4).

I got Oldstimers syndrome...
And I thought it was only 2 screws per side, total of 4...
I know I've reversed them a half dozen times, from side to side and facing front to back, and vicey versy...

You get the picture...  :rotflmao: :great: :beerchug:
That ain't even a 1 Yeangling job... :beerchug:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 10:07:50 pm »

I got Oldstimers syndrome...
And I thought it was only 2 screws per side, total of 4...
I know I've reversed them a half dozen times, from side to side and facing front to back, and vicey versy...

You get the picture...  :rotflmao: :great: :beerchug:

Depends on how slowly one works. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 11:09:12 am by connieklr »
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 02:46:50 pm »
Now that Wellsboro is over, I would have gone with the leave the extenders on for the cool wet Wellsboro Spring/fall rally weather that always has precipitation. If it were summer I would have gone to the scoops. Of course just a different opinion. So that was my excuse to post in this thread. But what really caught my eye was this:

:offtopic:  (Me)

Also being an avid Yuengling fan, it caught my attention. I finally got around to it and recently went to Pottsville, Pa and took the tour of the factory. You can't beat an almost 2 hour long tour/sample room with a decent amount of free samples at the end, that is free to partake in. Had a great time and got to try different brews at the same time to compare rather than the normal traditional lager I normally drink.