Author Topic: Favorite Garmin or Other GPS Solution  (Read 508 times)

Offline Wantabeach

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Favorite Garmin or Other GPS Solution
« on: September 30, 2019, 01:27:38 pm »
Do you use your phone, GPS, maps?  If GPS, which one and why?  If phone, what apps do you use? 

Separate but related, don’t GPS units come with maps?  Why do I see conversation about purchasing additional maps? 

Thanks
Paul
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 05:03:24 pm by Wantabeach »
2006 Kawasaki Concours
2006 Harley Heritage (sold)

Offline BB

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Favorite Garmin or Other GPS Solution
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 11:53:45 am »
The best motorcycle-friendly GPS I have purchased (and actually still have) is the Garmin StreetPilot Series 2700's or 2600's series. I've owned 3 units since I started riding.

Pros: Very cheap, weatherproof, glove compatible, ideal for bike. They are old school but still easy to find the GPS unit and the bike mounting hardware on Ebay.

Cons: it is tricky to find new updated maps, it is tricky to install new maps for the first time, the display is not as fancy as newer GPS or cell phones (2600s series is 2D while 2700's series is 3D map)

I actually gave up the GPS unit for most of my riding and I simply use my cell phone - much simpler and most up-to-date maps and POI. But if I ever actually decide to travel outside the USA or even across the country, I will need the StreetPilot running, since it does not require cell phone signal to work, unlike the cell phone GPS.

Road Traveler
* 2001 Kawasaki ZG1000
* 1999 Kawasaki ZG1000

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 07:59:29 pm »
This was discussed on the C14 forum recently... http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c14/best-gps/

Some good ideas thrown in that thread for alternatives. But to remain on your topic/question, my fave is the Garmin zumo 595 which does contain lifetime maps. Previous models of Garmin and maybe some other brands only had maps for that year which is why you'll hear some folks say purchasing maps for the current year. Or if you're using a non vehicle type of GPS, you can purchase topo maps for hiking.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 11:29:22 pm by robertv »
2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline LSGiant

• Officer
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7524
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 10:12:02 pm »
I have a zumo 660.  I use it as well as my Android phone. The 660s are now obsolete cradles and such are not available anymore. The secondary market is very expensive. I guess what I am saying is if you buy a used unit make sure parts are available at a reasonable cost.
It's not a competition, It's a demonstration. "Rowan"
COG 7524 IBA 46513 GLMC 214
16 KTM 690R, 11 Concours 14, 07 Ninja 650 R

Offline Greenie

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 1019
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 10:12:33 am »
I started with the Garmin 50LM and then the Garmin Nuvi 2557LMT - which I presently use mounted with a ram mount in the tapped hole where a mirror could go on another model of Kawasaki. I've had great luck - I just have to store it when riding in the rain.
The built for a motorcycle GPS are all very expensive and loaded with features I don't want.
The 2557LMT has been obsolete for some time now but it does have free maps and updates for Mexico, Canada, and the US. I've found it to be very accurate in Mexico.

Offline Captsparrow

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 12:34:37 am »
G'Day, I use TOMTOM Rider 550  which I purchased in the UK with free world maps etc.and it is a nifty bit of kit. Matched with a CARDO it pretty much has all the bells and whistles. I'm running it with a radio, GPS and Intercom at the moment, an additional connection would be my mobile phone as well (not using that at this stage.)

Offline bajasam

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 04:35:29 pm »
What a shame, not a single vote for the regular old fashioned Rand-Mcnally roadmap.

Offline GeorgeRYoung

• Road Bike
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 06:22:04 pm »
Nuvi 270

http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/gps.htm

Maps for North America and Western Europe. The maps were officially out of date but always worked for me.

Online Daboo

• Global Moderator
  • Scooter
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12797
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 04:02:49 pm »
...I actually gave up the GPS unit for most of my riding and I simply use my cell phone - much simpler and most up-to-date maps and POI. But if I ever actually decide to travel outside the USA or even across the country, I will need the StreetPilot running, since it does not require cell phone signal to work, unlike the cell phone GPS.
This keeps coming up, and isn't true.  I don't know of a good cell phone GPS app that doesn't allow you to download maps for off-line use.  You just have to make the effort to download the maps before your trip.  The cell phone GPS is like the standalone GPS units in that it doesn't require a cell phone signal.

Chris
IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 01:20:27 pm »
Rider I went to this years national used his cell phone as GPS till the
vibrations killed it. It would shut off completely. When he tried to take
pictures of the flight 93 memorial the screen was all wavy. It was mounted
with a ram mount on a ternary.
I carry a cell phone and keep it in my pocket. I use a 660 to help me
get lost and confussed.

Offline Bruce_Reafsnider_TN

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 03:12:20 pm »
Tom Tom Rider for the bike.  Paired to my Sena headset.  Get a bike-specific gps.  The screen will almost always be better in sunlight.  As mentioned before, they are pretty much vibration proof.  Also, phone gps will eat a ton of data up. 

Offline Redlion61

• Rusty Red Rider
  • Mini Bike
  • Connie Forever!
    • Personal Website
  • COG#: 10098
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 03:23:37 pm »
I've used my Garmin Zumo for years, but recently, Google Maps has gotten pretty decent as well. So sometimes I use it instead of the Garmin, which sometimes goes into weirdness trying to compile a route but gets stuck at 99%.

Whatever works.
Chris Dupuis
IT Guy, 2012 Connie ZG14 Rider

Online dcstrng

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12985
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 11:34:47 am »
I have a Garmin nüvi 2557LMT – since I live in a smartphone/app free zone, this works well for me – not totally sunlight readable, but I just got a water-resistant case and will see how that works since it has a sun visor – otherwise for some years it has been dirt-reliable in whatever vehicle I have it in…
-- Larry
Worry -- Misuse of imagination...