Author Topic: SO YOU WANNA TURBO YOUR ZG-1000?  (Read 11880 times)

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
Re: SO YOU WANNA TURBO YOUR ZG-1000?
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2013, 11:59:53 pm »
i am also definitly interested, am going to post a build thread now that i decided to keep my 86 1000 its currently on its way to being a custom naked bike, but plan on makin it a turboas well and debating on carb or efi
I have responded to your PM already, but will publicly state that EFI is light years beyond carbs in virtually every way.  Yes, you can successfully do blow-through carbs, but you will still have carbs and all of their inherent issues. 
Yes, carbs can be tuned and be almost as reliable in a turbo configuration as NA.  But know that any tuning error is magnified with boost making them, by their nature, much more difficult to achieve a happy turbo-ed engine.  I ran blow throughs for several years with a lot of success and only a double handful of broken pistons.  I've now had EFI functional for the same amount of time or slightly longer and have broken nothing while getting better mileage, more performance, greater drivability, and no possibility of hydrolock.  Sure the EFI costs more, but in the long run it's a money and time saver.  Just my .02.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline sp1k3

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2013, 12:14:42 am »
I appreciate it, I plan on going efi, was just curious if done properly carbs could have similar resulys and didn't mind a challenge, but if its just plain inferior then no real sense in doing it.

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2013, 03:33:52 am »
I appreciate it, I plan on going efi, was just curious if done properly carbs could have similar resulys and didn't mind a challenge, but if its just plain inferior then no real sense in doing it.
The ticket to carbs is getting them consistent from hole to hole.  The other drawback is a pitot tube DOES create some bowl pressure at ANY RPM and thus enriches the bike even off boost.  You can tune that fuel back, but then you run the risk of becoming lean at boost, so it's better to be somewhat rich off boost to be on target on boost.  This means more fuel consumption, but that's about it.  It still runs well off boost, it just gobbles dollars and gets crappy mpg.  My blow through carbs never did much better than 33 mpg on the highway.  Same engine on EFI has recorded 43+ while making more power.  If you're good enough with carbs, you might be able to duplicate that, but I cannot with any degree of confidence that I won't scorch something or break a ring land.

With the microsquirt EFI and its datalogging abilities, it's easier to find your tune and to have confidence in your tune since you can actually see and measure in real world conditions just what your AFRs are at any speed, boost, or throttle setting.   I hear the newer squirts and the latest versions of Tuner Studio have nearly perfected the autotune functions to where the engine will nearly tune itself.  My older version was helpful, but certainly could not be trusted to develop a tune on its own.  I've read that the newer software is amazing.  Of course everything cost money too.  But the newer Microsquirt version 3 is cheaper than mine was and has more capabilities I think. 
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline turbo-max

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10445
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2013, 11:00:55 am »
mmmMMMMmmm...booost  ;D
turbo lag is a courteous head start!    ~Jeff H
99 c-10 "the purple monster"
01 c-10 undergoing turbofacation     
03 c-10 some mods...alot of miles
several other c-10's in pieces!

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10807
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2013, 02:04:39 pm »
I am interested in the EFI project as well. Hurry before I give up and buy a C14.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2013, 04:52:21 pm »
Hurry what? Just do it. Chuck already did his, now it's your turn. :great:
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2013, 05:10:28 pm »
Yeah, I think I'm passing on the NA EFI project.  It doesn't really interest me that much and no one seemed to think it worthwhile since it would cost more than $1000 and a Connie (C-10) almost doesn't any more.  I'll be happy to help anyone who wants to give it a go, but as far as a turnkey package... I think I'm not going to pursue it.   :truce:
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2013, 12:51:05 pm »
I might give it a go at some point in the future, if business ever picks up to the point where spending $1000 on the bike isn't a big issue.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics