Author Topic: Givi E460 with LED Brake Lights  (Read 834 times)

Offline Jorge

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
Givi E460 with LED Brake Lights
« on: February 04, 2013, 02:21:06 am »
A couple of weeks ago, I purchased a Givi E460 trunk from a forum member (may not be active any more since he now has a really nice GW). Although the trunk already had the Givi brake light kit, I decided to add LED's on the same circuit. I added the LED's for two reasons: 1- More lights to be seen, and 2- Quicker reaction to drivers behind me due to LED's turning on so much faster than incandescent bulbs.
I'm posting some photos of the finished product. The LED's are barely visible under the trunk's red lens when they're off, but when brakes are applied, they are quite bright.
I purchased a 39" long weatherproof LED strip from SuperbrightLEDs, and cut it into seven strips. Six strips with 9 LED's each, and one with 6 LED's. There is soldering required to attach wires to each strip, but it's not too difficult.
The 9 LED strips are applied three deep on either side, and the 5 LED strip is on the center.
The LED's I used were $23, and they are:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flexible-strips-and-bars/wfls-x-bk-series-weatherproof-high-power-led-flexible-light-strip-black-circuit/1000/514/

The LED's are rated to draw 92mA, which is not much at all, so I simply wired them in parallel with the trunk's light.
I think they look really good, and should be very visible even in bright sunlight (see photo taken with the flash turned on);best of all, my wife likes how they look - a lot!.
Jorge
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 02:42:42 am by Jorge »

Offline Rusty

• Officer
  • Street Cruiser
  • Live to Ride, Ride to Live-2008 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9585
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: Givi E460 with LED Brake Lights
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 03:35:47 am »
Looks good and nice work! Anything to make your self more visible is very good. I went the more expensive route with a Admore Light Kit on my Givi E55. Mine looks and makes me more visible with great results too!   :motonoises: