Author Topic: Heat Generated by LEDs  (Read 1449 times)

Offline claytonsdad

• Too "Cripple to Ride", Too "Crazy to Care"
  • Mini Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Heat Generated by LEDs
« on: August 16, 2016, 01:55:28 pm »
I've been thinking about the best way to add additional lighting to the back of my bike. I'm not so worried about the tail light output. I've always been more concerned about getting hit from behind while sitting still at a traffic signal or turning. To that end, I took the red lens off my Givi trunk to see if there is any room to add additional led lighting. The way the lens is molded leaves three nice channels where led strips will fit quite nicely. I haven't decided exactly how many channels to use for which function, but that really isn't my problem. I'm wondering if anyone has ever had any issue with the heat generated by leds in a confined space such as this?  Based on my rough calculations, I would be adding approximately 120 of the 5050 smds total if I use all 3 lens channels.
2003 - The Wild Child
1052 by SiSF w/ Power Cams, ZZR Front End, 17" Wheels, Cruise Control

Offline KWBOY

• this KaWBOY rides a different kind of saddle
  • Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11723
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Heat Generated by LEDs
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 04:39:37 pm »
Have you looked at the admorelighting LEDs? They are running light,s turn signal, and stop all in one unit.
2013 Black C14

Offline claytonsdad

• Mini Bike
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 05:25:40 pm »
Those look really cool, but they're also out of my budget for this particular project.  I've ordered most everything I need and I think I'm in it about $30 so far.  I won't have the functionality the Admore's do, but I think they'll suit my needs.  I'm just concerned about a potential heat issue with the lack of venting.
2003 - The Wild Child

Offline Piston720

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10213
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 11:32:05 am »
I have had the admore lighting for a few years, and have not had any issues with heat at this point.

Offline Mcfly

• Stayin' for the people....
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 10:00:12 pm »
Heat should not be an issue with LED strip lights.  They don't generate much heat at all.

I have strip lights in my cheapo top case as side markers, and there's literally just enough room for
the lights, and there's no melting, or bulb burnout.  If you were mounting CREE LEDs in there I'd
think twice, but strips don't really heat up much.
2016 BMW S1000XR Premium in Alpine White aka 'Spooky'

SOLD: 2006 Concours aka "Connie"

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline claytonsdad

• Mini Bike
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 11:29:04 pm »
My strips came in today.  I'm just waiting on the connectors, which should be here sometime later this week.  Then I guess I'll have to decide how I'm going to wire things.  I'm thinking about wiring the top strip into the circuit I already have set up for the leds in the lid and splitting each of the two bottom strips and wiring them into the turn signal circuit.  I'll probably start out that way.  May end up changing it after I see how it actually looks.
2003 - The Wild Child