Author Topic: heat shields and wind deflectors  (Read 15510 times)

Offline Brent

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10203
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
heat shields and wind deflectors
« on: May 30, 2012, 10:28:18 am »
Last weekend my legs cooked in a 90+ day. Cant help but think either of the two would help. I searched the forum and didn't find very much... at least nothing recent. Just wondered what others are using and if the heat shields increase the engine temp.

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6830
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: heat shields and wind deflectors
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 01:07:32 pm »
When I first got my C10 almost 10 years ago, I thought I was going to have heat stroke the first hot day.  After some changes, I can now ride in just about any temp and be quite comfortable - unless its stop and go traffic - in which you'll roast in the sun and engine heat on most bikes.

Check out 2Fast - Brian Snowberg - for heatshield options.  Its reported that the heat deflectors don't increase engine heat too bad and that the cooling system can handle it.

Other options:

- coolant overflow tank relocate
 - highway pegs - gets your legs out of the heat AND brings in a bunch of fresh air into the cockpit (when your feet are on them).

- Wind Wings (the full double bend size, not the single bend they sell for the C10) - these were the single best mod to transform my C10 which has a large 26.5" CB windshield, from a blast furnace into a very pleasant ride in the heat.

- After market seat - for me, the stocker sat me down to low and pushed me up against the tank and since I have longer legs, my knees and shins were right on top of the inner fairings right where the heat comes out. 

A corbin worked - its rider portion allowed me to sit further back - making a big difference in heat and seat comfort.

Get a soakable do-rag - Walmart has 'em - and maybe an evaporative vest.  They really do work.

I've found after all the mods on mine, I rarely use the evap vest anymore, but I do use a soaked do-rag in the 90's and above.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:09:10 pm by Stasch »
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Brent

• Bicycle
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 09:15:07 pm »
When I first got my C10 almost 10 years ago, I thought I was going to have heat stroke the first hot day.  After some changes, I can now ride in just about any temp and be quite comfortable - unless its stop and go traffic - in which you'll roast in the sun and engine heat on most bikes.

Check out 2Fast - Brian Snowberg - for heatshield options.  Its reported that the heat deflectors don't increase engine heat too bad and that the cooling system can handle it.

Other options:

- coolant overflow tank relocate
 - highway pegs - gets your legs out of the heat AND brings in a bunch of fresh air into the cockpit (when your feet are on them).

- Wind Wings (the full double bend size, not the single bend they sell for the C10) - these were the single best mod to transform my C10 which has a large 26.5" CB windshield, from a blast furnace into a very pleasant ride in the heat.

- After market seat - for me, the stocker sat me down to low and pushed me up against the tank and since I have longer legs, my knees and shins were right on top of the inner fairings right where the heat comes out. 

A corbin worked - its rider portion allowed me to sit further back - making a big difference in heat and seat comfort.

Get a soakable do-rag - Walmart has 'em - and maybe an evaporative vest.  They really do work.

I've found after all the mods on mine, I rarely use the evap vest anymore, but I do use a soaked do-rag in the 90's and above.
Thanks Stasch, I have done a search on the "wind wings" and the only thing that came up were the Baker "air wings." are these the same as what you were talking about? I didn't see where these had the double bends. thanks, Brent

Offline mdr

• Road Bike
    • Mark in Austin's C10 Tech Page
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 12:04:25 pm »
North Central region huh...  This might not work for you then, but to get it in for us Suthurn Boys, I've found using the 'lean' coolant mix with Redline WaterWetter feels like it helps.  Even if it doesn't, it's the feeling I'm going after.

Basically it's:
- as little anti-freeze (AF) as you can get by with in the climate you're in.  If you change coolant between summer and winter (really, not just you'd like to) you can run without AF.  AF doesn't hold or transfer heat as well as good 'ol H2O.  It does have anti-corrosion stuff in it that's important, but wait for it...
- distilled or at least demineralized H2O.  No tap water or Perrier.  You do not want mineral deposits building up in there or causing other grief.
- Add in the recommended amount of Red Line WaterWetter (RWW).  RWW has the anti-corrosion stuffs in it you took out with the AF.  It also modifies the surface tension of the H2O so the steam bubbles that form in the engine collapse quicker and are smaller. 

The more AF you put in, the less better it is.  IIRC, above about 25% AF and you may as well forgo the RWW and just fill with the normal 50/50 AF/H2O mix.  Here in TX, I put in enough to protect to about 20F.  It just doesn't get much colder here, and if it does I'm not out in it and the bike's in the attached garage.

Head temps really do decrease.  Redline has actual data on their web page.  I've noticed the temp gauge drops lots faster when going from stopped to moving.  Rolling temps seem about the same or less.  Peak temps, like when sitting at a light, still go up and are no fun.  At least it cools off faster now.
Mark in Austin, AE5SJ
'01 Concours, Vrooomm
http://www.randols.net/Connie/
Motorcycle Special Events Team - Texas
http://www.mset-tx.org/

Offline Brent

• Bicycle
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 12:17:58 pm »
Thank mdr. I'm happy with temp. Even on the days it's been 90 my gauge is at the bottom of the normal level and I've nevvrr seen it get above that. Not to say that my gauge is not working but the fan seems to only come on after I shut it down. And even then it doesn't run more than a minute. Riding this weekend there was a couple of guys I rode with that there bikes were running a lot hotter than mine wich made me feel good as I just made the Connie purchase a few weeks ago

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 12:33:12 pm »
So the main issue is the heat on your legs? I can't see the deflectors, mounted either way, or the wind wings, having much effect on engine temps. The Baker Wind Wings are a great product for directing air at you. And the adjust from a blast of air at you to blocking air, just by reaching down and moving them.
Air Wings Products for Concours
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline ManWorkingHere

• Blue Streake
  • Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
  • COG#: 9292
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 03:20:20 pm »
After some changes, I can now ride in just about any temp and be quite comfortable - unless its stop and go traffic - in which you'll roast in the sun and engine heat on most bikes.

+1 on stop-n-go traffic minimizes and benefit of 'air wings' or deflectors 'cuz there is little air to deflect

Other options:

+1 - I have tip over bars on my C-10 and I put Kuryakin pegs outside of them for coolness and comfort

+1 - PO put them on and I use them in summer to deflect air inward, outward in Fall and early Spring in WI.
Have 26.5 CB windshield also, with vent cut out too.

+1 ?  Wife bought me anniversary gift of Frogg Toggs cooling cloth on Monday.  Have yet to use it for cooling.  WI remember? 
after 2012 Rally
  Concours 2001 (Blue Streak)  COG#9292

Offline Brent

• Bicycle
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 04:01:33 pm »
I had concerns about the heat shields reducing some of the air flow from the engine. I saw a YouTube video for "air wings" where the 2 riders had ribbons attached to different areas and the wings looked like they performed well. Unfortunately the video is from around 2008 and the website is not valid anymore. I think im goin to make my own if I can find some sort of hinge that will  e adjustable.

Offline 2fast

• Crotch Rocket
  • Red hair & black leather, my favorite color scheme
    • ZG Heat Shields
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 01:32:58 am »
I had concerns about the heat shields reducing some of the air flow from the engine.

The heat shields (I make em) will not really reduce air flow, especially when moving. What they do is re direct the heat down lower where it can exit without cooking your eggs, so to speak. The bulk of the heat from the radiator and pipes is dumped out the side vents on the fairing. Lots of riders out there use my shields and would never go back.
Brian in Minnesota

Offline Brent

• Bicycle
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 01:55:45 am »
I'm interested 2fast. You have my attention. I was beginning to think you were just a myth. I've seen your name in some old threads.

Offline Lasherman

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10236
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 02:24:04 am »
Yup... I may be interisted too....Central California like to approach 105-110 during the summer.

Offline 2fast

• Crotch Rocket
    • ZG Heat Shields
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 11:07:56 am »
I'm interested 2fast. You have my attention. I was beginning to think you were just a myth. I've seen your name in some old threads.

That's me.....mythical :rotflmao:  If you are interested in a set, just lemme know. Still $85, shipping included in the youessaay. You can get me directly at bp snow at hot mail dot com. Oh, I only have em for the 94 to 06 models right now.  I am currently out of the early ones, but could make some if there is enough interest.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 11:09:29 am by 2Fast »
Brian in Minnesota

Offline Steve_Cramer_GA

• Bicycle
    • savvypaddler.com
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8200
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 05:59:46 pm »
Is there a picture of these beasts somewhere? I can't quite visualize where they go.

Thanks,
Steve
2000 C10, 2000 ZRX1100, CDA0297

Offline 2fast

• Crotch Rocket
    • ZG Heat Shields
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 09:47:13 pm »
Is there a picture of these beasts somewhere? I can't quite visualize where they go.

Thanks,
Steve

Hey Steve,
Look under my Avatar on the left and click the little green globe. It will link you to photos of the shields.
Brian in Minnesota

Offline Steve_Cramer_GA

• Bicycle
    • savvypaddler.com
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8200
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 10:04:46 pm »
OK, thanks.

Steve
2000 C10, 2000 ZRX1100, CDA0297

Offline GF-in-CA

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 11:20:48 pm »
Brian,

I just installed a set of your shields I got second hand, and I am very pleased so far with how much they reduce the heat on my legs.  Very nice   :great:.  Looking forward to not having my legs slow roasted when it's  100 degrees out.  BTW, my bike doesn't seem to run any hotter or cooler with them in place.
Gary F.

1998 ZGX1100
Central Valley California

Offline d "moe

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 9845
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 12:00:19 am »
I made a rubber curtain out of a truck inner tube, laid it under the tank and made side curtains and attached them to the side panels.  I also put a manual switch for the fan.  On real hot days I switch the fan on as soon as I start.  The bike temp gauge stays at half or less.  It really helps with the heat problem.  Hope this helps.  It's in the 90s in Chicago!

Offline 2fast

• Crotch Rocket
    • ZG Heat Shields
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 12:22:30 am »
Brian,

I just installed a set of your shields I got second hand, and I am very pleased so far with how much they reduce the heat on my legs.  Very nice   :great:.  Looking forward to not having my legs slow roasted when it's  100 degrees out.  BTW, my bike doesn't seem to run any hotter or cooler with them in place.

Cool, nice to know I have been around doing shields long enough for there to be a second hand market now :) 

For anyone else that gets a used set, please be aware that they are not the same for 86-93 and 94-06. Due to the fairing changes, there are two different designs.

I am heading for Arkansas at O Dark Hundred tomorrow morning, and if any attendees need a set, look me up while you are there. For reference, I am gonna be riding my Vstrom 1K, blue with huge aluminum bags and a Givi trunk.  I will have about 4 spare sets with me, plus one that a lucky winner will get at the banquet.

See ya'll there tomorrow :motonoises: :beerchug:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 12:24:19 am by 2Fast »
Brian in Minnesota

Offline Brent

• Bicycle
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 10:46:14 pm »
Just wanted to say thanks to Brian. I purchased these from him at the rally the very next morning and can say it was a noticeable difference.

Offline 2fast

• Crotch Rocket
    • ZG Heat Shields
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 11:14:14 pm »
Thanks Brent! Nice to meet you there and glad to hear you like em  :great:
Brian in Minnesota

Offline squishman

• Moped
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 03:31:04 pm »
Brian, I'd like a set too. Can I ride up and get a set in person? Maybe even put 'em on for the ride home! Perhaps next weekend, if you are back by then.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 03:34:33 pm by squishman »
Todd
Eagan, MN
1999 Concours (Sold)
2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 07:08:24 pm »

That's me.....mythical :rotflmao:  If you are interested in a set, just lemme know. Still $85, shipping included in the youessaay. You can get me directly at bp snow at hot mail dot com. Oh, I only have em for the 94 to 06 models right now.  I am currently out of the early ones, but could make some if there is enough interest.

Brian, if you are going to make some early model versions again. I would probably consider a set for my 86. She does get a little warm when I do ride her.

Offline DannyL

• Mini Bike
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 11:11:09 pm »
So the main issue is the heat on your legs? I can't see the deflectors, mounted either way, or the wind wings, having much effect on engine temps. The Baker Wind Wings are a great product for directing air at you. And the adjust from a blast of air at you to blocking air, just by reaching down and moving them.
Air Wings Products for Concours

Personnaly I HATE the way  they look, that being said I love the way  the WORK!

Looks like I still have a few pieces of puzzle to fill in!
2005 Concours

Offline 2fast

• Crotch Rocket
    • ZG Heat Shields
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 01:46:59 am »
Hey Todd, the out of town thing is old. I'm back. Tomorrow later afternoon would work for me if it works for you. I will PM my number to you, but you may already have it. We could throw em on too if you want to.

Bob, I did get a few of the older model style done, so they are available on a very limited basis.

Danny, do you hate the way my heat shields look, the Baker wings, or the stock deflectors? Just curious, cause folks usually tell me how nicely mine blend in and have a stock look to them.
Brian in Minnesota

Offline squishman

• Moped
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 02:09:25 am »
Hi Brian. Tomorrow will be great. I'll give you a call tomorrow.
Todd
Eagan, MN
1999 Concours (Sold)
2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT