Author Topic: HID install newb...  (Read 607 times)

Offline sonicsculptor

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9836
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
HID install newb...
« on: May 06, 2013, 12:51:29 am »
Finally decided to give HID lighting a go, got a VVME kit w/ standard ballasts on the way from a forum member.
Planning on just tucking the extra relay wires (from the unused 2nd ballast/bulb) in somewhere under the fairing/tank instead of cutting it off.
and maybe some double sided tape to hold the ballast to the fairing underneath a fairing pocket. any waterproofing ideas? I don't want to surrender a fairing pocket.
love to see/hear other folk mount solutions.
my biggest question is about the light scatter. I remember reading a while back that someone (Daytona Mike?) had covered the bottom inch or so of the headlight, but cover it with what? Pretty high temp around there, right? Other people have problems with the pattern as well, or is it really pretty low-glare as is?

oh and lets just get this out of the way:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html
it's apparently a mandatory post on every thread on the subject  ::)

Offline 2fast

• Crotch Rocket
  • Red hair & black leather, my favorite color scheme
    • ZG Heat Shields
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: HID install newb...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 01:18:20 am »
If I recall correctly, the second ballast is plugged in, so can just be left off the single lamp install. I have the lower 1 1/2" of my light taped off. I use a headlight protector from Cee Bailey, and I applied reflective material on that shield. That way if I ever need to stick my halogen light back in, I can just pop off my shield for normal light spread.

Ignore Danny Stern. I think he sells halogen lights or has some HID grudge going. My reality is that they are an awesome upgrade to halogen, and I have done night time comparisons to prove it.
Brian in Minnesota

Offline GeorgeRYoung

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: HID install newb...
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 01:46:15 am »