Author Topic: HVMP Extra Heavy Bar Ends for the ZG1000 Concours will kill the Connie Buzz !!!  (Read 11693 times)

Offline Reaper1

• Captain E.B. Hammonds ('89-'94 US Marines, '01-'06 US Navy, '07-'09 US Army)
  • Road Bike
  • I'm with the government and I'm here to help!!!
    • The Comms Shop - Tactical Division
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10520
  • Membership Level: Active
I saw an old posting on here for the HVMP extra heavy bar ends, so I ordered them for my 1999 ZG1000.

The arrived quickly and the brushed stainless finish was flawless.  ;D

The weight on them are 17.2 ounces and the price was $54.00 + $9.50 S&H. BELIEVE ME.......THEY ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!

The Throttlemeister, which runs $132.00, wasn't interesting to me because their website didn't tell me about their weight.

Not to mention, I already have the Audiovox cruise control and believe throttle locks are a great idea of how to get yourself killed. (NEVER MIND THAT THEY ARE WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!!!)

The HMVP bar ends were installed in about a minute and I didn't worry about thread lock as they came with lock washers and a new pair of stainless bolts.

RESULT: The "Dreaded Connie Buzz" is gone!!!!  :PDT_Armataz_01_37:

These are a must for anyone that rides the old school Concours and I am posting this because these are not promoted nearly enough.

If you want to buy them, just click here:

http://www.hvmp.com/kawasaki.htm
BUY THEM AND YOU WILL BE AS IMPRESSED AS I AM.  :singing:

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 05:02:15 pm by Reaper1 »
COG# 10520
1999 ZG1000 in Olive Drab and running around half necked. (The Blacksheep)

Purveyor of firearm accessories found at www.commstactical.com

Offline cra-z1000

• Sport Tourer
  • Keeping it upright..
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9790
My bar ends are all chipped up and look like hell so I may just order these . They definately make a difference . Even the lighter ones .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline turbo-max

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10445
nice, i will have to ad this to my list of things to purchase...after i am done with the turbo set-up  :)
turbo lag is a courteous head start!    ~Jeff H
99 c-10 "the purple monster"
01 c-10 undergoing turbofacation     
03 c-10 some mods...alot of miles
several other c-10's in pieces!

Offline cra-z1000

• Sport Tourer
  • Keeping it upright..
I don't know Turbo , you may need some ten pounders to keep that front end down after the turbo install ... :rotflmao:
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline turbo-max

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10445
I don't know Turbo , you may need some ten pounders to keep that front end down after the turbo install ... :rotflmao:

LOL!!! maybe true!  :-[
turbo lag is a courteous head start!    ~Jeff H
99 c-10 "the purple monster"
01 c-10 undergoing turbofacation     
03 c-10 some mods...alot of miles
several other c-10's in pieces!

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
I got rid of my Connie buzz. Cost me a few extra thousand bucks, and ended up putting a new C14 in my garage. :))
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline Reaper1

• Road Bike
I don't mean to talk smack, (or maybe I do just a little....LOL), but the cost these bar ends vs the price of a new bike seem to remind me of this:

Gone In 60 Secs - Roger

Hehehehe......
COG# 10520

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
I got rid of my Connie buzz. Cost me a few extra thousand bucks, and ended up putting a new C14 in my garage. :))

Too bad there are folks who also bought a C14, but still have/had the buzz. There's no guarantees when buying a bike. Although the odds are in your favor with a C14 compared to a C10. There's no guarantee it will be as smooth as you think. You may get a smoooooth bike or you may get one that doesn't cooperate no matter what folks do. The question is whether your buzz problem is a $15,000 problem?   ???
    In my case, my (basiclly stock) 86 really only gets a little buzzy above 5K on the tach. Although my C14 had a slight buzz. My C10 definitely has a little more. Although I do not ride long distances at higher RPM's that it might even remotely be a problem for me. I have much more trouble with the joint pain.  :-\

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
I was just trying to make a funny re: getting rid of the buzz.  My '93 that I still have, certainly has the buzz, that I've lived with for a good amount of years.  And, yes I've heard some folks who own the new C14, also have the buzz to  certain extent.  Fortunately, I have a '12, that doesn't have the buzz.  Have to admit, when I got it, I had not even test ridden it, and was wondering as I rode away from the dealer "is it going to buzz?"  Nope, nice and smooth.
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline Reaper1

• Road Bike
It's all good!!!  :beerchug:

I'm glad there are still a few people out there with a since of humor too!  :08:
COG# 10520

Offline SmokinRZ

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9430
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
My 05 had a bad case of the buzz.  It was so bad I wasn't sure the bike would be around long.  I did Murphs bar ends, checked motor mount shim, and synced carbs all of which helped a little.  Then I cleaned the carbs and set the mixture screws (mixture screws only affect the first bit of throttle so who know if that helped beyond cleaning) and that helped a lot.  Then I put on shorter 86 bars, to my surprise that helped a lot.  Then I got tired or waiting two years for my cam chain tensioner to reset and put in a APE manual adjuster and to my surprise that seemed to help (placebo maybe?).  All of this was done over a period of 20K miles and I am now at 35K.  The bike runs silky smooth now like a different bike  :motonoises:.  It makes me wonder how much miles had to do with it smoothing out.         

Offline cra-z1000

• Sport Tourer
  • Keeping it upright..
About the only issue I have with buzz is the noise I'm getting from my ignition switch . Its like the key is loose and rattling around in there. since the switch is a discontinued part does anyone know of anything that could help with that ? If I hold the key it stops . Thought about one of those rubber key cup things that are on some atv keys , they go over the switch and would hold the key tighter .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
About the only issue I have with buzz is the noise I'm getting from my ignition switch . Its like the key is loose and rattling around in there. since the switch is a discontinued part does anyone know of anything that could help with that ? If I hold the key it stops . Thought about one of those rubber key cup things that are on some atv keys , they go over the switch and would hold the key tighter .

Check the plastic cover over the switch. A little foam under the plastic cover will do the trick.
Camper Dave found another, which is the fork lock deadbolt that vibrates. He came up with a fix. Maybe he will chime in, or you can ping him direct.

| Steve Smith | COG #3184 |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline cra-z1000

• Sport Tourer
  • Keeping it upright..
Hmmm , didnt think of the fork lock . I did put a piece or rubber printing blanket under that plastic cover awhile back and it stopped that noise . Will check out that fork lock , thanks .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline Carlson

• Scooter
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: forum
How does these weights compare to Murph's buzzless kit? Anyone tried to compare? I've got buzzless weights on mine, but some of the buzz is still there. Wonder if HVMP Extra Heavies are doing better job.
2001 Concours  (sold)

Offline pradsliff

• Road Bike
  • Pradsliff
    • Me and MyConnie Blog
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9720
Thanks for the tip, Reaper1, I just ordered some of those X-Heavy bar ends. I hope they make a difference. For farkles around $50, they only have to pass the "chicken soup" test, meaning:

THEY COULDN'T "HOIT"
Cheers,
Peter

2001 Concours “MyConnie”  •  COG #756415  •  CDA #412  •  blog: http://www.meandmyconnie.com

Offline John_Atkinson

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 5921
I tried a set of murph's heavy bar-end weights which he said were 22 oz. each......never did find them to be any improvement and ended up going back to the OEM units
John Atkinson
Windsor, ON
CANADA
COG #5921
'91 Concours "Zeke" - 225,000 km and counting........

Offline SamSam

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6191
I have Murph's bar end weights.  Not sure they do anything but they look real nice!
Sal Sammartino
COG #6191; AMA #1107290
2015 VFR800D; 2006 C10; 2001 C10 (lost in fire!); 2009 Honda Metro 50; 2011 buddy 125
If you didn't have a good time its your own fault!

Offline SmokinRZ

• Street Cruiser
I have Murph's bar end weights.  Not sure they do anything but they look real nice!

And they make a nice valley for the CAT O ring to ride in.  You will never lose it.  ;D

Offline pradsliff

• Road Bike
  • Pradsliff
    • Me and MyConnie Blog
I was sorely tempted by Murphs weights, but didn't like the aesthetics of the stepped design as much as the smooth design of the HVMP. We shall see. I will order Murphs grips, though.
Cheers,
Peter

2001 Concours “MyConnie”  •  COG #756415  •  CDA #412  •  blog: http://www.meandmyconnie.com

Offline John_Atkinson

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 5921
I was sorely tempted by Murphs weights, but didn't like the aesthetics of the stepped design as much as the smooth design of the HVMP. We shall see. I will order Murphs grips, though.
The grips are made by ProGrip. I've had them on for over ten years. You'll love them.
John Atkinson
Windsor, ON
CANADA
COG #5921
'91 Concours "Zeke" - 225,000 km and counting........

Offline pradsliff

• Road Bike
  • Pradsliff
    • Me and MyConnie Blog
Thanks, John! That is just the push I need to order them this morning!
Cheers,
Peter

Offline SmokinRZ

• Street Cruiser
The grips are made by ProGrip. I've had them on for over ten years. You'll love them.

I tried them and they didn't play well with my cat O ring.  I put the pro grip gels back on and put the Murps grips (pro grip rally?)on my KLR.  But yea the feel good.   

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
One thing on my old C10 that helped tremendously with the buzz, were foam grips. 
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline Reaper1

• Road Bike
I wish you lived in FL so we could do a side-by-side evaluation... All I can offer you is what I know from dealing with supressors on weapons.

The greater the weight on the end, the more it disturbs the harmonics. (BAD on a rifle, GOOD on a Connie!!!)

:violent-smiley-007:
COG# 10520