Author Topic: Laminar lip questions  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Malay

• Bicycle
  • Welcome to the COG Forum!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10699
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Laminar lip questions
« on: January 31, 2015, 09:54:01 pm »
Was wondering how well a laminar lip works? I have a 03 concours with a 15 inch rifle windshield. I want to get a taller rifle, but was wondering how the laminar lip works, and if putting it on my rifle, would that help out to the point of not needing a taller windshield? Thanks.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Laminar lip questions
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 12:40:39 am »
I recently picked up a Laminar Lip. All the stuff you are looking to do is covered. I really like it on my Rifle.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline EBAD

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 05:04:03 am »
Isn't it the same cost to just buy another rifle screen as opposed to the laminar lip? I think the rifle is a cleaner look.
94 ZG1000: Rifle, Corbin and Smoky Mountain go-fast stickers

Offline Malay

• Bicycle
  • Welcome to the COG Forum!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10699
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 02:54:43 pm »
It is about the same price, buying a taller rifle screen and buying a laminar lip. I dont have the lip, never had one and was just wondering how well it works. I may get the taller rifle and the lip. Dont know. I ride two up alot, and I know the 15 inch is too low for both me and my wife. Would the laminar lip give the passenger more protection also? Thanks for the info.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 04:42:58 pm »
A lip forms a venturi effect at speed to the air flowing up the shield, making the shield act taller without their actually being a taller shield to have to look through. Virtually no turbulence when looking over the top of the shield, and a lot quieter. I really, really like it..
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 6953
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 05:45:00 pm »
So I just removed my Rifle with 19" shield, Laminar Lip and Micro-shield edging. Been on there for years now. Rode to work this morning, 45 and nasty with the stock Connie shield. 

WOW. I am not sure what I noticed more, how much more wet I got or how much wind noise there was. 

With the stock shield I look down at the road right in front of the bike. Maybe 15 feet out at best. With the rifle and the lip in the lowest spot I look over the top at 50 feet or so down the road. Huge different in wind noise. The Rifle combo I hear no noise and low speeds and only little / some at freeway speeds. With ear plugs its quite nice. And I can hear the engine quite well. This morning with the stock windshield I had not ridden more than 100 feet down road, barely 25mph and I am thinking holy crap. I have not even got up to speed yet. Made it to the freeway and dang. Glad I wear ear plugs. What a difference.

Also noticed gear and bike overall got a lot more wet. Thank god its good gear. I get to work and remove my First Gear stuff. Nice and dry.

However a different observation is looking down the road at 50' range over the Rifle has its disadvantages in the rain at night. Because that's also about the limit of there the stock low beam hits. When its dry no big deal, and in the day time its ok as well. But I always found riding home from work in the winter when it gets dark early, tough when its raining. The windshield gets all wet, and so does the visor. The lack of wind flow means the visor does not clear off very well. You have to intentionally stick your head out in the jet stream. Or use the wiper on your gloves. Any case this all completely blocks your low beams, and wet roads at night are hard enough as it is. So overall I did it many years now, but it always required utmost concentration.  -- With the stock windshield I observe that I should be able easily see into the low beam coverage area looking over the top the shield. And the added wind blows the rain off the helmet visor quite nicely. I noticed that this morning. So I believe riding home this evening in the rain and dark should be less dramatic that it used to be.

Ya know you do these things slowly over time. And you believe it makes a difference. Some times it seems obvious and some times you kind of wonder what the percentage upgrade really was. You get used to things.  The one day go ride stock.  :-\ . Yeah it works.

2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline AirMonger

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10838
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 11:34:21 pm »
I like the reflection in your post Sly. I have some of the OEM stuff laying around that has been replaced. Occasionally, when the need dictates, I remove something and replace with a stock part, be it for cleaning or rebuilding something. I really miss having my other C10 stocker around because riding it made me appreciate the upgrades and improvements to my current bike. Absolutely nothing wrong with a stock C10, actually a really good machine in stock form from the the factory. The stock machine could be a daily driver for someone that just wanted a everyday ride. No questions asked.

And yes, I have a Laminar lip on my Givi. Love it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 12:45:05 am by AirMonger »
"It usually takes 20 years before people begin to appreciate a good design." Kevin Cameron