Author Topic: Lowering Link  (Read 830 times)

Offline dboisclair

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9302
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Lowering Link
« on: January 07, 2012, 12:55:00 am »
Hi All
I've posted this in another area but I'll post it here too on the chance someone has an answer.
I recently purchased a 2005 Concours for two-up riding but my wife has a bad knee and she's finding the rear pegs too high compared to our VStrom.
Another owner has given me a great suggestion for running boards but the one question I have is about seat height. The previous owner had the bike lowered by installing a lowering link on the rear shock. I'm not sure what this means but would it effect the seat to peg distance? If so, would raising to the standard height help give more distance to the rear peg?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated
Thx

Offline oldsawfiler

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 8062
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Lowering Link
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 12:57:48 am »
No, the link only changes the seat to ground hight.  Seat to peg is the same.
Well...even if you fall on your face you're still moving forward.

COG # 8062  AMA # 1084053  ROMA

Offline GF-in-CA

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 02:32:33 am »
dboisclair,

My wife and I have a very similar situation.  My wife had major knee surgery two years ago, and has since found it more difficult to be comfortable for long rides.  We have a custom Rick Mayer seat that raises both of us up slightly.  Some other seats, like the Russel, would probably raise you up even higher.  I also made some custom floorboards that lower her feet about 1" as well as allowing her to move her feet around more than with the stock pegs.  You can see the floorboards and seat here

As long as we take regular breaks, we are able to ride for a few hours without her being too uncomfortable.  You may want to check the seat-to-peg distance with the Strom.  If it is within an inch or so of the Connie, you can probably get the seat modified to raise her up that amount.  That combined with some floorboards may be the ticket to getting her comfortable.

BTW, the off-the-shelf floorboards that I've seen adapted to the C10 usually raise the foot surface up slightly, which is why I made my own.

HTH,
Gary F.

1998 ZGX1100
Central Valley California

Offline oldsawfiler

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 8062
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 03:51:24 pm »
Disclaimer! I didn't say this!
If you have tip bars with pegs or Millers highway pegs she can stretch her legs to your pegs while you are using the hightway pegs.  Just make sure you both are paying close attention to what is happening around you
Well...even if you fall on your face you're still moving forward.

COG # 8062  AMA # 1084053  ROMA