Author Topic: Murph's cruise... Yes or no?  (Read 6294 times)

Offline Wannabe

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Murph's cruise... Yes or no?
« on: June 07, 2015, 02:30:41 pm »
I've got a long ride to Parris Island scheduled for early August. After a 1,000 mile day last summer I'm seriously considering installing cruise control. Everyone happy with theirs? Function correctly? Install not too painful?  All thoughts are welcome!

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Murph's cruise... Yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 02:51:22 pm »
Yes you should. Installed correctly and working will make you wonder how
you ever got by without it. Installation can be a bit difficult, go slowly and
read the directions and you will enjoy the ride much better.

Offline Mcfly

• Stayin' for the people....
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 03:09:29 pm »
Definitely a YES for the Cruise Control.  It's the last farkel I put on my Connie, and in hind sight
should've been my first.  I upgraded from a throttle rocker... what an upgrade!

I did the ride to the SE Spring Event (520 mi each way) with the Cruise Control for the first ride,
and it was AMAZING how much less fatiguing the ride was.

As RWulf said, it's hard to think about NOT having it now...  Well worth the time and money!

I got the kit with the Canister, and I recommend getting the mounting bracket for the Control
pad from Murph as well.  Makes a close to OEM look for the install.  (If you decide to go for it)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 10:57:34 pm by Mcfly, Reason: finish sentence. »
2016 BMW S1000XR Premium in Alpine White aka 'Spooky'

SOLD: 2006 Concours aka "Connie"

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9506
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 05:31:33 pm »
I got the kit with the Canister, and I recommend getting the mounting bracket for the Control
pad from Murph as well.  Makes a close to OEM look for the install.  (If you decide to go for it)
+1
One of the best additions I've done to my bike.  Especially for those times when I have to drone along the highway.

That said, most of the install is quite easy.  Get a set of really long needle nose pliers or something similar for attaching the cable to the carbs.  That was probably the most time consuming and difficult part.  If you have trouble and get frustrated, walk away and cool down for a bit, then go back to it.  That seems to work for most of us.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 07:47:22 pm »
Oooh oooh. I love easy inquires. Yes.

Two farkles on my C-10 are indispensable

1) A good seat, I have a Russell, now with 160k miles on it.

2) Cruise, yeah baby.

I did have to replace the pull cable after 120-150k miles. Otherwise trouble free once I fixed my miss install of the rubber boot ob the actuator.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Mike G

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 01:32:23 am »
I read all the install instructions I could find on the web, followed them carefully and all works perfectly.  Had it for six years and 50,000+ miles and won't have another touring bike without it.  I haven't checked but my post on my install experience might still be on the forum.  Main thing I did different was run the cable inside a piece of plastic tube down to the carbs to avoid the inner cable rubbing on the fitting on the end of the outer cable.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 05:03:50 pm »
I read all the install instructions I could find on the web, followed them carefully and all works perfectly.  Had it for six years and 50,000+ miles and won't have another touring bike without it.  I haven't checked but my post on my install experience might still be on the forum.  Main thing I did different was run the cable inside a piece of plastic tube down to the carbs to avoid the inner cable rubbing on the fitting on the end of the outer cable.

I do like that plastic tube idea, it does simplify the install.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

Offline Wannabe

• Mini Bike
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 09:15:00 pm »
Thanks, guys. I'm not sure I've EVER seen this kind of consensous before!  LOL! 
I will order very soon!

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 06:39:58 pm »
Thanks, guys. I'm not sure I've EVER seen this kind of consensous before!  LOL! 
I will order very soon!

A little different than oil, tires, and fuel filters, eh?

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 06:41:10 pm »
I agree if you do more then 200 miles a day you have to have it.  The current offering though does not seem to last forever so figure on replacement parts every few years. 
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Wannabe

• Mini Bike
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 09:46:07 pm »
I agree if you do more then 200 miles a day you have to have it.  The current offering though does not seem to last forever so figure on replacement parts every few years.

The first I've heard this. Could you explain?

Offline Murph

• Industry Member
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 2769
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 12:14:23 am »
I like em.. ;D

First I have heard of it as well.. these are the same units built in the same factory as the original AV units. Having been dealing with both flavors for about ten years now I have seen no difference in performance of either unit .

murph

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 12:24:37 am »

Specifics?

I had the cable fray on mine well north of 100k miles. Most issues seem to be improper wiring and or water proofing. And I haven't heard about a whole lot of either.

I don't know what my next bike will be, but I'm gonna figure a way to put the extra one I have on it, iff'n it is not already equipped.

Offline Wannabe

• Mini Bike
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 12:12:40 pm »
I like em.. ;D

First I have heard of it as well.. these are the same units built in the same factory as the original AV units. Having been dealing with both flavors for about ten years now I have seen no difference in performance of either unit .

murph

Well you guys convinced me so I ordered last night. Just hope I didn't order 3 since my phone was fighting the mobil site!

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 12:38:37 pm »

I'm also curious about this.

Growing up in a shop, I've been seeing this type cruise control system since about 1976, and installed on a few cars.

This one uses a better control system than those units did (we had to zip-tie magnets on the drive shaft, then mount a pickup (sensor) nearby to sense speed), but same basic design otherwise.

Wear points I've seen (and take a LONG time):

actuator - has a vacuum diaphram inside that can develop a leak (takes a LONG time)

actuator cable - can wear at the carb (again, LONG time)

Now that I think about it - those are pretty much the "standard" failures we've seen, other than the actuator electronics failing, but like most electronics that's rare.

+10 on the cruise. worth the time/effort.

Offline Hemicuda

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 07:51:02 pm »
Is this an electronic cruise or a throttle lock style?

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9506
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 08:57:22 pm »
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"

Offline Mcfly

• Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 10:59:12 pm »
This cruise control is a 'true' cruise control. It's designed as an automotive
aftermarket product.  This maintains speed up and down hills, and allows you
to raise and lower speed and engage/disengage via the control pad (mounted on the handlebar)

As this is an automotive application, there are steps you take to waterproof
the control pad, and routing the cruise control cable to the carbs requires a
little creative thinking to to avoid rubbing against the thermostat housing.

Aside from these little modifications, the install is pretty much straight forward.
I've also added a master power switch for the system, recommended to me by
other members, "just in case".   :o

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6197
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 06:01:03 pm »

My servo unit went out after about 3 years.  I am sure mine was not the only one because I have seen other threads of units that would not work anymore after about the same amount of time.  I never found a cheap fix other then buying another servo unit.  I think the air control valves get worn/dry and stop working correct.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 06:36:49 pm »

My servo unit went out after about 3 years.  I am sure mine was not the only one because I have seen other threads of units that would not work anymore after about the same amount of time.  I never found a cheap fix other then buying another servo unit.  I think the air control valves get worn/dry and stop working correct.
I still have the FIRST unit (original BETA test unit) from Murph's first run of reproduction of the Audiovox CC.  It still works fine on the third bike I've had it currently the Blu Gnu.  The only issue I've experienced was the breaking of the cable's threaded portion which I also experienced with all of the original CCS-100s that I've owned (except the one on mama's Hyundai that also just went to the National and back).  Yeah, sometimes I've had servos go out (original Audiovox units) but so far his one has held up.  The truth of the matter is once in a while one goes south.  It's why Murph now (and always has) kept spare servos on the shelf that you can purchase for much less than the complete unit.  No one else has EVER done this with cruise control stuff from Audiovox that I know of.  This is THE best farkle I own, hands down... the best thing for my hand, wrist, shoulder, back, etc.  It permits more movement on the bike wile maintaining highway speed than any other modification you can make and THAT MEANS it adds to comfort and the ability to make miles as pain free as possible.

I have owned and installed at least a dozen of these units on my own and friend's bikes. I have seen another servo or two go south, but none the first year.  I will not own a sport touring motorcycle without cruise and the one I use is Murph's.  No serious affiliation, blood ties, or payola (except ice cream at he Nationals) going on here.  This is just the most important mod to make in my pea brained lil haid.

BTW:  What are these now?  $180 or so?  In my case, I just rode almost 4k miles to the National and back.  Most of that was with the CC engaged.  Worth every penny for that one trip.  It's done it three times the past three years with some trips twice as many miles. Idaho, Tennessee, and now Colorado plus almost every open highway mile I log.  Best money ever spent on motorcycle stuff IMHO
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 06:40:59 pm by Rev Ryder »
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Wannabe

• Mini Bike
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 08:02:44 pm »
So.... Rev..... Thats a yes vote?  Haha!

I'm in the thick of the install now. Yes, the throttle attatchment garnered quite a few pg-13 comments from me!

Offline Wannabe

• Mini Bike
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 09:54:11 pm »
I could not b more F'ing frustrated with this throttle loop right now. I have no words

Offline Mcfly

• Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 10:23:03 pm »
I could not b more F'ing frustrated with this throttle loop right now. I have no words

I gave up on conventional tools, stole a steel skewer from the kitchen, and bent it so it would
go right to the hole the throttle cable 'guzinta'.    Just holding the 'nub' in place, then moving the loop
into position was the easiest way to go for me.  I even gave it a place on the tool pegboard.

It took me about 4 hours to figure out how to do it, then about 45 minutes to get it done.  All
I can say is if you get frustrated, walk away, and go back later with a different approach.  Staying
with a failing approach will only bring insanity faster.

Good luck!

Offline Wannabe

• Mini Bike
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2015, 12:44:16 am »
GOT IT!!!!!!!!  Ok. Dumb question. Red keypad is 12v key. So the fused link on the servo side of the 4 pin is 12v key. What about the loose red coming off the servo?  Link the red on the servo w/ the orange from the 4 pin that connects to the red on the keypad?  Makes sense, just not diagramed like that.

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2015, 12:55:49 am »
Sorry to have been absent.
The EASIEST way I know of to get that stinkin' loop on there with the carbs in place is to bend the tang on the carb linkage so that you can slip it in with the carb barrel in the slot already.  Then crimp it back.  Second easiest way is to use some 12" or longer forceps you can buy cheap on eBay.  The really easiest way is that I ALWAYS pull carbs without pulling the cables off the rack.  I take them loose at the throttle and pull the carbs with cables attached.  This way the loop can be put on the bike with the carbs already cabled... If that made sense.

EDIT TO ADD:
Wannabe, the wiring as you described sounds right to me. Been a good while since my last install, but it sounds right per memory.  I reckon I COULD go look if you want. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 12:59:31 am by Rev Ryder »
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie