Author Topic: Murph's Tip Over Bars Install - 2003 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000  (Read 9004 times)

Offline Brian

• Road Bike
    • United Christian Off Road Alliance
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10329
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Murph's Tip Over Bars Install - 2003 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
« on: February 28, 2012, 11:10:39 pm »
NOTE TO ADMINS: Note sure if this was the right place, but I did not see a detailed write up anywhere.

Well I got some Tip Over Bars from Murph's and today was my day to install them.  I got front and rear bars, so I decided to start with the install of the rear bars first.

Rear Bars Install:
BEFORE PICTURES

The Murph's Instructions were fairly simple to understand.  The first step was to remove the rear side covers, saddle bags, and brackets.  These would be reinstalled later.

We held the bars up for an idea where they were going since this was the first bar to be installed.

For easier access with my sockets and wrenches, we opted to move the rear brake reservoir out of the way temporarily.

Once the rear bar was on, we tightened everything up and were ready to reinstall the saddle bag brackets, bags, and side covers.

You can see, they don't stick out much beyond the bags they are said to protect, but they will prevent a complete crush for sure.

Now on to the left side, rear bar.
Stripped ready to install

Installed

Bag replaced

Both sides from the rear

Next we moved to the front bars.  The instructions for this were a bit more difficult, and we had a few "shade tree mechanic" moments on the right side.
Faring off

Air dam removed, we had to take the motor mount bolt out and the radiator mount bolt.  The motor mount proved to be very difficult.

We tried everything to get the motor mount bolt off.  The instructions said to use your fingers to keep the nut from spinning, but our fingers would not hold it enough.  After taking the tank off to try to get better access, we eventually used a super long socket extension and help the bolt from the other side.  Then, with an Allen wrench and a cheater bar, we were able to break free the bolt and take i tout.  Murph's could address the difficulty here, not sure how anyone can do this easily with their fingers.

Anyway, after the brackets were in lace per the instructions, we had to cut the lower air dam a little to fit around the bracket.  The Murph's directions had a diagram of what to cut, but we had to cut a bit more.

By this time, it was getting late in the afternoon and we forgot to take pictures too much.  We got the left side on finally after much learning and errors, then we moved to the right side.  The right went much quicker.  Overall, the project took us about 4 hours of work time.  With a lunch break, time for pictures, and another interruption (I have 3 kids  ::) ), it was the better part of a day for us.

Here are the finished pictures.

Brian
2003 Concours
COG#10329, CDA#422

Offline Steves59

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9584
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Murph's Tip Over Bars Install - 2003 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 01:10:16 am »
Nice writeup, thanks.  I have a set of front bars that I will be putting on soon.  This will help me.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:11:25 am »
Looks like a nice write up for the COG wiki section. Maybe you would like to post it in there as well.   ;)

Offline Piston720

• Scooter
  • COG#: 10213
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 01:42:35 pm »
Good Morning
I installed my Front and rears and yes, the front were a lot of work, but worth it in the end.
I ended up buying the correct metric bolts for the engine mounts, just to keep it all the same, and reused the existing nuts. In my package they shipped imperial size bolts for the engine mounts.

I am in the process of doing the valve check as well as adding D/L and side marker lights and need to remove the lowers, which means removing the front tip bars.
Oh well, better planning next time.

Offline Brian

• Road Bike
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 04:30:11 pm »
Looks like a nice write up for the COG wiki section. Maybe you would like to post it in there as well.   ;)
I could not find any posts in the Wiki, what am I missing?

Good Morning
I installed my Front and rears and yes, the front were a lot of work, but worth it in the end.
I ended up buying the correct metric bolts for the engine mounts, just to keep it all the same, and reused the existing nuts. In my package they shipped imperial size bolts for the engine mounts.

I am in the process of doing the valve check as well as adding D/L and side marker lights and need to remove the lowers, which means removing the front tip bars.
Oh well, better planning next time.

At least you (and I when I do work) only have to remove the bars, not the mounts.  Those were the work.
Brian
2003 Concours
COG#10329, CDA#422

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 04:36:43 pm »
I could not find any posts in the Wiki, what am I missing?

I meant your write up. You should post it in the wiki section.  ;)

Offline Brian

• Road Bike
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 02:23:46 am »
Not sure if I did it right, but I posted in the aiki for body and frame. But it appears to be the only article.
Brian
2003 Concours
COG#10329, CDA#422

Offline ChipDoc

• Sport Tourer
  • Work to ride - Ride to work!
  • COG#: 9934
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 03:02:08 am »
You did great, Brian - thanks!

The Wiki is just getting started, which is why we're encouraging people to put this sort of stuff up there.  It'll fill right up if we all keep at it.

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 05:10:21 pm »
Thanks for posting in the Wiki, I moved it to the accessories category.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9506
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 10:11:33 pm »
You seem to have missed the step that involves swearing, yelling, screaming, and throwing wrenches when installing one of the upper bolts on each side of the rear bars.

Or maybe that was just me.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"

Offline ChipDoc

• Sport Tourer
  • Work to ride - Ride to work!
  • COG#: 9934
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 11:05:32 pm »
We're waiting to see the video on that!  ;)

Offline Brian

• Road Bike
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 12:04:00 am »
Actually, the rear bars were a piece of cake. I took the bag rails off completely, then my ratcheting wrench worked great.

The front bars motor mount bolts had the worst moments.
Brian
2003 Concours
COG#10329, CDA#422

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 12:05:07 am »
Actually, the rear bars were a piece of cake. I took the bag rails off completely, then my ratcheting wrench worked great.

The front bars motor mount bolts had the worst moments.

+1   

Offline Bob

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12393
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 10:32:15 am »
How hard is it to remove the front bars so you can remove the side engine covers?

Offline Brian

• Road Bike
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 11:05:24 am »
Just a couple extra bolts. It's not all that bad considering the value and protection.
Brian
2003 Concours
COG#10329, CDA#422

Offline PaulP

• Software Engineer
  • Street Cruiser
  • An armed society is a polite society.
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 12:30:02 pm »
Just a note: when you install the upper bracket on the front bars, either use some thread locker or a locking nut. The PO that installed the bars on my bike did not and the one on the left side came loose. I had to buy a new bolt and it was not easy getting it in there and tight.
Current: 2006 Concours (Connie Mae)
Previous: 1988 K100LT, 1982 GPZ550

Offline Clem

• Looking for twisties in the flatlands
  • Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11353
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 12:53:00 pm »
I have that very same issue now, the top motor mount bolt on the left side is stripped out. I have it in place now with a bolt on the inner end as I just wanted to ride the darn thing but now need to tear into it to fix correctly since I can hear and feel the added vibration. It just won't pull down. So I'm looking at a heli-coil or something to fix. I'll do my research via the COG forum like always beforehand.
2001 C10, lightly farkled

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 02:04:58 pm »
I have that very same issue now, the top motor mount bolt on the left side is stripped out. I have it in place now with a bolt on the inner end as I just wanted to ride the darn thing but now need to tear into it to fix correctly since I can hear and feel the added vibration. It just won't pull down. So I'm looking at a heli-coil or something to fix. I'll do my research via the COG forum like always beforehand.

Clem,  the mounting at the top of the engine is done with nuts and bolts, nothing to heli-coil.

A bolt goes through the frame and then through the engine with a nut on the back side.  The nut on the back side is difficult to get a wrench on but it can be done.

The procedure for tightening them is to loosen the left side up and torque the right side.  Then you shim the space (if there is any) between the frame and the engine on the left side with whatever washers you can fit in there, and then torque the left side.
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja Sold / 1999 Kawasaki Concours Sold / 2014 Kawasaki Concours

Offline PaulP

• Software Engineer
  • Street Cruiser
  • An armed society is a polite society.
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 02:45:35 pm »
FWIW, I didn't have to shim mine at all. I just wrote Murph and he told me what size bolt to use. I just slipped a box wrench up there from the front side and then cranked it down tight with a socket wrench on the bolt head. Wasn't easy, my hands are on the large size, but it is doable.
Current: 2006 Concours (Connie Mae)
Previous: 1988 K100LT, 1982 GPZ550

Offline Clem

• Looking for twisties in the flatlands
  • Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11353
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 03:55:33 pm »
Thank you Paul for the follow up info, you've saved me much time and heartache!
2001 C10, lightly farkled

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 06:37:27 pm »
FYI:  You don't have to remove either front tip over bars to do a valve job.  Unbolt the fairing side panels, pull to the end of the bar and let it rest there (I put a small rag between the bar and side panel just in case).  The valve cover will clear the side panel in this position.