Author Topic: Painted lid guards  (Read 1355 times)

Offline F-106

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Painted lid guards
« on: December 01, 2012, 08:33:30 pm »
I was starting to get a few chips on the front face of the bag lids.  >:( Came up with this idea after seeing a set made for Goldwing owners,
that also have a problem with rocks and other items hitting the front part of the bag. We are getting a warm storm this weekend so I thought
it would be a good time to make a set and see how they look.  I have to say they are bigger than I thought after I installed them, but if they protect the area so be it. From start to finish was about 3 hours of fun in the garage with the Connie.  :beerchug: :beerchug:

« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:37:43 pm by F-106 »

Offline Brian

• Road Bike
    • United Christian Off Road Alliance
  • COG#: 10329
Re: Painted lid guards
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 09:22:25 pm »
Is there a link on how you painted your bags.  I love the 2-tone and want to do that with my 2003.
Brian
2003 Concours
COG#10329, CDA#422

Offline Dave Scott

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 09:51:15 pm »
Not that your solution isn't a good idea, but what about just getting a piece of clear film and putting over it so that the paint isn't hidden?

Offline F-106

• Road Bike
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 12:24:03 am »
I thought of that. However I did not want to keep changing it every 6 months when it starts to yellow. I can polish the aluminum all I want. If it does take a major hit I can always make a new guard.  I think when I saw the ones on the wing with the polished aluminum finish I made up my mind that was the way I wanted to go. Personal preference I guess.
Not that your solution isn't a good idea, but what about just getting a piece of clear film and putting over it so that the paint isn't hidden?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 07:16:53 pm by F-106 »

Offline F-106

• Road Bike
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 12:38:05 am »
Brian, the painted bags lids do look nice on any year Concours. The year you have even more so due to the red paint. I do not have a link, however there is two ways to do it.
1. Have someone paint them for you. A good painted can do it. I hear $200-300 for the bags
2. Do it yourself. This is the way I went. It took a full week from start to finish. $125 -175 in materials.
I did paint a 2003 set for a man around the cornor and he liked the stock rough feel of the bags but wanted the color to match the bikes paint. I have to say they came out nice. I had them done in 3 days and half the work of going smooth finish.
Is there a link on how you painted your bags.  I love the 2-tone and want to do that with my 2003.

Offline Dave Scott

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 01:25:19 pm »
I thought of that. However the I did not want to keep changing it every 6 months when it starts to yellow. I can polish the aluminum all I want. If it does take a major hit I can always make a new guard.  I think when I saw the ones on the wing with the polished aluminum finish I made up my mind that was the way I wanted to go. Personal preference I guess.

Either way they look great.  You do really good work!   :great:

Offline F-106

• Road Bike
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 07:20:24 pm »
Thanks, I try to put a lot of thought on the mods I do to my bike, from overall appearance to function. Sometimes I hit the mark and sometimes I miss.
I thought of that. However the I did not want to keep changing it every 6 months when it starts to yellow. I can polish the aluminum all I want. If it does take a major hit I can always make a new guard.  I think when I saw the ones on the wing with the polished aluminum finish I made up my mind that was the way I wanted to go. Personal preference I guess.

Either way they look great.  You do really good work!   :great: