Author Topic: removable trunk suggestions?  (Read 7092 times)

Offline Greenie

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1019
  • Membership Level: Active
removable trunk suggestions?
« on: March 10, 2012, 09:47:23 am »
I'm looking for a removable trunk for my 1998 C-10. Something that may be fitted to the optional  Kawasaki rear carrier with the Kawasaki backrest would be best. Anyone have one that they would recommend?
This is what I have to work around....
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 09:51:07 am by Greenie »

Offline ChipDoc

• Sport Tourer
  • Work to ride - Ride to work!
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9934
Re: removable trunk suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 09:52:46 am »
Here's my personal favorite.  I've had two of them.  Big, solid, and reasonably priced!

http://www.jcwhitney.com/motorcycle-travel-trunks/p2010969.jcwx?skuId=346517&filterid=c14523u0j3

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9506
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 03:51:19 am »
Here's my personal favorite.  I've had two of them.  Big, solid, and reasonably priced!

http://www.jcwhitney.com/motorcycle-travel-trunks/p2010969.jcwx?skuId=346517&filterid=c14523u0j3

+1.  But the mounting plate eventually broke on mine.  So it is now permanently mounted.  (Well, it can be removed with a couple of wrenches.)  Still works well, and I found I really didn't remove it anyway.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"

Offline Greenie

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 1019
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 09:41:24 am »
The JC Whitney case is a little too small for me.
I'm looking at a GIVI 55 liter case - anyone have any idea how it would fit?

Offline wild man

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 6174
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 11:15:37 am »

With Givi's E128 bracket.

http://www.giviusa.com/My-motorcycle/?ma=KAWASAKI&mo=Concours-1000

I've been running the smaller 45 liter(?) case for about 8 years now and its held up great.  The case is quick release and I added the back rest for the wife,  the 45 L looks alot like the OEM side bags.  It wont hold a full face helmet but your limited in weight with any case placed on the rear, 15-20 lbs approx.

I dont think the E128 will work with your current setup
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 11:17:40 am by wild man »
Bill
USAF Ret, KC0IGL
AMA#333772, IBA#19247
2003 Connie Constance 125K and counting
2007 KLR 650, 1997 ATK 605

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 11:21:22 am »

I've been running the smaller 45 liter(?) case for about 8 years now and its held up great.  The case is quick release and I added the back rest for the wife,  the 45 L looks alot like the OEM side bags.  It wont hold a full face helmet but your limited in weight with any case placed on the rear, 15-20 lbs approx.

+1.   I used the E128 with a E52 top case.  Worked great.  I would not chance using the OEM rack to mount a full size top case.

| Steve Smith | COG #3184 |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline John_Atkinson

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 5921
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 12:43:14 pm »

+1.   I used the E128 with a E52 top case.  Worked great.  I would not chance using the OEM rack to mount a full size top case.

+2. GIVI rack with the E45 case has been on my bike for 12 - 13 years. There's a passenger backrest that can be mounted if desired. Current setup will not, as previously mentioned, accomodate the GIVI.
John Atkinson
Windsor, ON
CANADA
COG #5921
'91 Concours "Zeke" - 225,000 km and counting........

Offline worncog

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9584
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 08:58:18 pm »
Stock rack is way too wimpy for a topcase, IMHO. I am running an E55 on the E128 mount and I really like it. Enough room for two helmets or one helmet and a lot of other stuff. Added a couple of washers to the rear mounting bolts under the platform to level it out. Ran a 36 for a year or so, but not enough room.
RWTW, COBDR, SM 500, BVF...

'14 S10, '06 C10, '07 DR650, '14 250XC-F

Offline mellow yellow

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9301
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 11:11:34 pm »
had one of those jcwhitney trunks a few years back, but somehow I couldn't get the trunk detached one day. finally junked it. I think they use to go for $35 before they got popular.
05 connie

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into an FJR !!!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 11:59:48 am »
I'm looking for a removable trunk for my 1998 C-10. Something that may be fitted to the optional  Kawasaki rear carrier with the Kawasaki backrest would be best. Anyone have one that they would recommend?

Hey Greenie,
  I have a trunk with custom fab bracket on the C-10 emporium for sale that will bolt right to your backrest
bracket and to the tail section. Its on page three I think, there are pictures of it also. Check it out.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline kd50

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10028
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 12:21:39 am »
You can search "motorcycle trunk" on e-bay motors and there you will find everything in all price ranges. I bought one with a spoiler with 3 working running/brake lights. It was under $100 and I love it. It was easy to fit. I just had to build a few spacers but no big deal. It works perfect for keeping tools and supplies that do not leave the bike and keeps my side bags empty.
'86 Concours totally custom just fer me!!

Offline danodemotoman

• Sport Tourer
  • Yo Ho, Yo HO, it's a bikers life for me!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 2877
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 05:38:05 am »
 Another JCWhitless choice is smaller, been using them on the C10 and KLR for years. I like the smaller as not in the way when moving bike and less surface in dirty air affecting handling.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/travel-trunk/p2002510.jcwx?filterid=c14523u0j3

Offline Walker18

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8443
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 07:17:37 am »
Sounds like you're looking for storage space, hence the 55L. That is a suitcase, so, the backrest and rack combo have to go. Then remove the tail cover and mount the matching rack base from Givi, or Shad, etc. and bolt it up. OR, If Shad, get yourself a set of Murph's rails (http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=279) and elevate the trunk a bit (my option with my Shad 50L).
Which ever way you decide on, the current setup with the rack/backrest will have to go. They'll be a backrest on the new trunk or at least an option for one.

A pic of my setup with Murph's rails..

AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline blender

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10076
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 03:21:10 am »

Walker: Do you have a photo of the tail section with the Murph's rails (preferably from above)? Murph's Shad tail trunk and rails combo look like a viable option, however I'd like to see how those rails mount to the tail section. Thanks in advance!

Steve

Offline Walker18

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8443
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 07:34:18 am »

Walker: Do you have a photo of the tail section with the Murph's rails (preferably from above)? Murph's Shad tail trunk and rails combo look like a viable option, however I'd like to see how those rails mount to the tail section. Thanks in advance!

Steve

Here is an older one, see if you can zoom in on this shot.. I raised the rear of the base with extra washers, I like the 'level' look better than the sag look.

AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Brent

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 10203
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 02:21:44 am »

Hey Greenie, I just purchased a bestem 929 from their website. has an led strip and a led brake light. I haven't had any other boxes but at 120 shipped it was a good deal. with the rack you show it would be a breeze putting it on.

Offline DD2214

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: 11064
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 09:55:08 am »

Looking for a luggage rack. Like the one in this picture or a bit bigger would do! Where did you find this?  Was there never a simple bolt-on replacement offered by kawasaki or an aftermarket? The stock one under the cover just isn't quite enough.

I already have several big, CHEAP, soft/canvas, top bags that have worked well on every other bike I've had. I can just move from bike to bike. I usually just put a soft bag behind me (when the side bags are not enough) and then I also have a driver backrest. However, that's not an option when riding two up.

Hate to even ask, as I'm sure this has been covered, but I've searched and don't see it addressed directly.
I see a lot of posts and ads for fancy top boxes that require special mounting plates etc.. seems more than I need or want to spend.

I plan on leaving the rack on! Nbd to me, and just strap my t-bag, or gym bag, or bungee a lunch cooler when necessary.

Or should I just buy a mounting plate for a luggage rack, to have future options. They seem kinda nonfunctional without the box?..

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9506
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 01:25:14 pm »

Looking for a luggage rack. Like the one in this picture or a bit bigger would do! Where did you find this?  Was there never a simple bolt-on replacement offered by kawasaki or an aftermarket? The stock one under the cover just isn't quite enough.

That's the Kawasaki add-on rack that was available for the C10s.  It clamps to the grab bars.  But at this point, you'll only find them used.  Some folks have had issues with them breaking at the clamping points, and they're only rated for something like 10 lbs.  I have a JC Whitney large top case bolted to mine and haven't had any trouble, despite overloading it on many occasions.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 02:02:32 pm »
Greenie, to install most Trunks and keeping your backrest you might have a problem opening the trunk.
Reason being the pivot point of the Trunk is lower than the top of your backrest. (trunk might not open completely)
Jim Snyders rig probably solved this. Look at his set up before taking the next step.

Next, you say your intention is to install a large Trunk. With the backrest and rack on your bike; this means the trunk must be mounted higher and farther back. (because of increased weight of a "loaded" large trunk, lower and more forward is preferable).

All of this can be made to work. Just wanted to mention it..
Everyone has their own opinion and may disagree with me... (that is perfectly fine)

I opted to use a Givi 55 with the Givi Mount and a passenger pad.

Bag is removable, wife loves it, weight is as low and forward as possible.
Bag, removed, the Givi mount works as a rack to haul things..

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline DeansZG

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 12:43:11 pm »

My criteria was that I wanted the trunk removable when I arrived at my destination so I could re-install the tail piece cover for that "clean" look of the bike.  I didn't have to deal w/ the obstruction of the backrest, so my solution is a little easier.

1: Made a base plate from 1" aluminum flat stock that replaces factory rack & fits under the rear cover: I machined it & cut some "lightening holes" in it & also installed 5 "lockserts" to accept the base plate for the trunk.

2: next, I machined a riser plate(could also be made taller to adjust backrest height) for the trunk base to get the back rest above the seat, & it also allows the necessary clearance for lid to swing fully open. This view also shows the 5 hold down bolts for the trunk mounting plate:

3: this is in process of bolting the trunk plate to the mount. the two thick rubber washers are to keep the trunk from rattling & the 2 smaller button heads( right & left of the button head w/ the wrench on it) keep the trunk mount & the riser attached to each other:

4: trunk mounted showing the riser plate:

5: another view showing the height of the backrest to the seat:

6: back to stock in less than 5 minutes: