Author Topic: Question about installing the glovebox power plug  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Sppd796

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Question about installing the glovebox power plug
« on: June 06, 2013, 12:33:22 am »
I am all set to install the plug in the left side glovebox for a phone charger. What size are the two connectors? I found them right where everyone said they would be I just dont have any of the spade connectors that big around the house. Do they come in marked sizes? Just want to make sure I get everything I need in one trip.

Rhoades

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9506
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Question about installing the glovebox power plug
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 12:52:39 pm »
They're not spade connectors.  Each lead has a connector for two bullet connectors to attach.  You'll need the male bullet connectors.  I've found that bullet connectors seem to come in two sizes, but careful "adjusting" of the terminals on the bike using a pair of pliers can make either size work.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"

Offline ManWorkingHere

• Blue Streake
  • Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
  • COG#: 9292
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 06:38:46 pm »
I chose to put an outlet in the dash itself.

Here's my Blog post:
http://c10mods.blogspot.com/2011/07/adding-power-outlet-to-dash.html

- 14 gauge crimp terminals and plugs from Menards - multipack had both in it

after 2012 Rally
  Concours 2001 (Blue Streak)  COG#9292

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9506
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 09:09:30 pm »

I used that same outlet for a socket inside the left fairing pocket.  Only problem is, I can accelerate hard enough that the adapter for my GPS comes out...   :motonoises:  Usually just a hard launch or two and my GPS shuts itself down.

Still working on solving that issue...
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"

Offline Sppd796

• Bicycle
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 03:49:03 pm »
Ok I am at my wits end.

First its important to understand I know nothing about electrical. Im  more of an engine/suspension guy.

Here is what I have done so far. I ran two leads. One from each of the empty plugs on the left side. Pretty sure they are the correct ones. Each are in a rubber boot with 2 bullet connections in each.

Used the multimeter and see that with one probe in each I get just over 12 volts. If I switch the leads I then get -12 volts. With the multimeter reading positive 12 I then assume the lead the black probe is in is my negative lead.

I then hook the negative lead to the outside prong of the "lighter" and the positive to the middle post.

Plug a phone charger in and it pops the ACC fuse in the fuse block. There was already a 15 amp fuse in there.

Why is it popping the fuse? Any ideas where I went wrong???

Im getting really frustrated!!

Online Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 04:12:39 pm »
Has to be a direct short unless the phone is pulling more than 15 amps , which I doubt.. I assume the phone plug works fine in another vehicle. When you push the plug in is the back of the outlet grounding on something. Have you tried another 12 volt device in it. Can your multimeter probes get inside the outlet to confirm correct +/ - wiring.
Southern Connecticut.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline KowRider

• Tricycle
  • Any 2 wheels beats any 4
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 8568
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 04:21:17 pm »
With you meter check the power before you attach to the socket.  Check from the red wire to a ground on the bike, not the other wire.  If you get no power  you have the wires backwards.   Now check from the black wire to a ground on the bike (not the other wire).  If you get power this confirms the wires are backwards.

COG# 8568 
IBA# 47123

Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

Offline Sppd796

• Bicycle
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 11:25:29 pm »
Well its working now. Not sure if I had a wire mixed (depite checking and double checking). I also swapped out the plug for a much higher quality one so I can't rule out it was a bad socket.

Now I just need to hook up the driving lights. I didnt think to write down what wire went to what post on the switch when I took it apart!!!