Author Topic: Rick Mayer Seat - 2005 Concours  (Read 840 times)

Offline dboisclair

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9302
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Rick Mayer Seat - 2005 Concours
« on: January 08, 2012, 08:09:01 pm »
As I ask this I realize the Rick Mayer seat is custom so an answer may not be possible but if anyone has experience with this type of seat I'm trying to find out if it sits noticably lower than the stock seat.

I purchased a used 2005 Concours last year and it has a Rick Mayer seat. Because of circumstances it sat in storage until just recently and we've now just started riding it. My wife has a bad knee and the seat to peg distance is giving her trouble but someone on this forum suggested raising the seat. We went out today for a ride with a seat cushion off of our couch bungied in place and even though it's just a couple of inches higher it made a huge difference. Before I take the seat in to be reupholstered/modified I thought I'd check if swapping back to a stock seat would make sense. If you have any experience with this I'd love to hear from you.
Thx in advance
Cheers   

Offline GF-in-CA

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Rick Mayer Seat - 2005 Concours
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 08:16:08 pm »
dboisclair,

I replied to your other topic, but will add that my experience with Rick's seats is that it will be slightly taller than stock, unless he is given specific instructions otherwise.  Also, he has a policy that he will rework any seat he's already done for little or no charge, with  the customer paying for postage.

HTH,
Gary F.

1998 ZGX1100
Central Valley California

Offline dboisclair

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9302
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Re: Rick Mayer Seat - 2005 Concours
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 09:11:22 pm »
Hi Gary
Thanks for the reply and the heads up on the seat height. Thanks also for your info on the floor boards. After market boards may raise the height even more by a 1/2 inch but I think this will be offset by gaining some forward and back room and ability to move her feet around a little.
I looked at the RM website and his service looks great but we`re only down here in AZ for a couple of months and I don`t want to lose too much time to shipping. Now that I know modifying the seat height will probably give us the fix we`re looking for I`ll see if I can find an upholstery shop locally that can add some stiffer foam to raise the passenger a couple of inches. Knock on wood between these two mods I can keep the bike.
Thx
Dale