Author Topic: Right Angle Valve Stems  (Read 1782 times)

Offline Boxer

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 8908
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Right Angle Valve Stems
« on: September 01, 2012, 05:11:24 pm »
I didn't find this topic in a search so I decided to ask:
Does anyone have a suggestion/experience with metal right angle valve stems.  I remember years ago on a BMW
forum someone wrote about one to avoid.  I picked up a digital pressure display gage so I don't have to put my
glasses on to read it but it doesn't work worth poop on a short stem.  I commute on the bike and check the air
a lot so convenience is a big concern for me.

Offline 6 Riders

• Road Bike
  • "keep 'er under 90"
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10846
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Right Angle Valve Stems
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 05:23:16 pm »
I have a right angle in the rear, I assume thats what you are talking about? I HAD to put it on as I couldn't get air in the tire with the factory stem.
The rear wheel ONLY takes metal stems, so you'll need a valve stem specific to this type (MC) of application.
The front wheel takes a rubber stem, so any automotive valve stem "should" work, but it doesn't hurt to buy from a MC dealer to make sure that you are getting the right type. Note, not all dealers are good at getting you the right part.
If you interchange the two types of metal stems, you are going to be very unhappy and complain about how they don't work and why anyone shouldn't buy them.

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9506
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 11:29:32 pm »
I use the 85* (OK, it is almost a right angle) valve stems from kurveygirl.com .

http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=72

They fit nicely on both the front and rear.  (Point them to the right so you can air up on the sidestand!)  And they seem to last quite a long time.  I am on my second set with 55k on the bike.  (Replaced the OEM stems when I wore out the OEM Dunlops)  I did the replacement because the gaskets looked like they had some small cracks where they were exposed to the weather.  When I took them off, I realized that I need not have worried, as the rest of the gasket looked like new.  About 30k on the first set, and I'm certain they would have done another 30k.  Oh well, for $10, I'm not complaining. 

"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 08:18:02 am »
I've had the one's murph sells for about 7 years now. No issues. I think he still sells them.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline Boxer

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 8908
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 02:58:25 pm »
Thank you for the responses.  I've got them on order.
Both of my C10's have been used bikes and came with shorty rubber stems. 
I wasn't aware there was anything special from Kawasaki originally installed.

Offline mdr

• Road Bike
    • Mark in Austin's C10 Tech Page
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 05:02:50 pm »
Just for the 'archive', don't use one of the ones which just have a grommet holding them in.  Use the ones with the nuts as shown above.  The guy who mounted my rear tire put one of the grommet only ones on, and eventually the grommet failed, deflating the tire. 
Mark in Austin, AE5SJ
'01 Concours, Vrooomm
http://www.randols.net/Connie/
Motorcycle Special Events Team - Texas
http://www.mset-tx.org/

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 10:38:15 pm »
I've been using these for over 12,000 miles and they seem real nice ... not cheep but they look good.   :great:

http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/tire_valves/index.htm
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja Sold / 1999 Kawasaki Concours Sold / 2014 Kawasaki Concours

Offline SmokinRZ

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9430
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 01:55:09 pm »
Just for the 'archive', don't use one of the ones which just have a grommet holding them in.  Use the ones with the nuts as shown above.  The guy who mounted my rear tire put one of the grommet only ones on, and eventually the grommet failed, deflating the tire.

Same thing happned to me.  Those things should be outlawed. 

Also, the early 86-93 factory 90 degree does NOT fit the later model 94-06.  Go with Kurveygirl.   

Offline ReserveBum

• Tricycle
  • 04 Connie w/grey saddle COG # 9744
  • COG#: 9744
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 05:34:08 pm »
ditto on the cheap valve stem posts......I installed one when I changed my rear tire and it blew out at 65 on I-95 with about 375 miles on it. A true "pucker" moment. Got it off to the side w/o dropping it, set it on the kickstand then she fell over. At that point in time I didnt care...was happy that I did not get run over