Author Topic: Tool Tubes?  (Read 3002 times)

Offline Alekkas

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10513
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Tool Tubes?
« on: August 29, 2012, 02:04:17 am »
Short Version:
Anyone find a good place, kinda out of the way, to mount a tool tube?

Long version:
Been riding with bags off lately other than when needed for longer trips.  Have a small topbox.  Do NOT like riding without some basic tools and tire repair kit.  Looking to free up some of that limited real estate in the box.

Any successful and fairly hidden ideas out there?
Seagiant needs to post more!
'08 C14 / PGR  / IBA
Some ride reports:
http://leroylanes.blogspot.com/
On two wheels:

Offline jathkajoe

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11141
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Tool Tubes?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 08:50:59 pm »
Could you put one on each side where the air scoops mount?  Or mount them on tip over bars, if you've got them. Or relocate the overflow bottle and sneak something where that used be?  Easiest I'd think would be an aux tool container behind the battery--I recall readin of someone who made one there, recycled a plastic tub of some sort.

JathkaJoe

Offline GeorgeRYoung

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 07:34:09 pm »
1) between rear fender and battery box
2) under rear rack cover

Offline 2linby

• Iron Butt
  • I rode today, did you?
  • COG#: 5539
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 09:16:46 pm »
I made two plastic panels for the inside of my saddlebags and secured the panels in the bags using elevator bolts and wing nuts. I have two tool rolls with almost everything I need for almost every situation.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 09:19:29 pm by 2linby »
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by" "Everything is simple, but nothing is easy".
Ex NWAD, AAD, COG #5539, IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor, Mentor 2001 Sonic Blue  166K and counting!
http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BBG)
http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip

Offline Alekkas

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 03:35:01 am »
That is cool 2lin.  Neat set up.

Thanks for the tips everyone.  So the area behind the back of the seat (over rear fender / under rack) easily and nicely fit the tire repair kit.  Could fit more, but I don't want to jam stuff in there with the light wiring.

The space behind the battery is too small for my current tool roll, but would fit a modified one.  I currently carry more wrenches for example than needed.  Other things could be cut back too in conjunction with the factory kit as there is some overlap in tools - never mattered with cases on.  This is only about day rides and shorter over nights after all (when big bags aren't needed). 

Thanks for the idea of a plastic tub there.  I can see a cut rectagular plastic bottle bottom fitting in there as a holder.

Great ideas.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 03:36:44 am by Alekkas »
'08 C14 / PGR  / IBA
Some ride reports:
On two wheels:

Offline BBroj

• Road Bike
  • To be determined...
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9331
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 02:03:55 am »
A 1/2 DIN radio box from the dash of a car fit nicely in my bike. No mounting, it just slides in and the lip at the top edge holds it in place. I drilled a hole in each corner to drain water. This was the box that fills the gap where an option (like a CD player) would go if you didn't get that option. Should be pretty inexpensive from a salvage yard.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS  One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box and much more to come!
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=6886;type=avatar&time=1422481871
COG 9331

Offline Dukedinner

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 10052
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 10:57:16 pm »
For myself, and after going through most mechanical issues in over 80k mile with a CB900, KLR650, and now the Concours, carrying lots of tools in tool tubes or numerous rolls is over-rated. Far less tools (but quality ones), some jumper cables, a pump, and patch kit are all I carry now. On the Connie, everything stores over the battery in a small roll, cables behind the battery, pump and patch kit behind the seat under the rear cover. This includes the 1 1/16" socket and collapsible breaker bar for the rear wheel, plus all the needed Allen wrenches etc. But each to his own.. :great:
2000 C10 / 2001 KLR650 /
COG# 10052   AdvRider
Beautiful British Columbia

Offline BBroj

• Road Bike
  • To be determined...
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 11:50:35 pm »
Collapisable breaker bar? I like that idea, please share...
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS  One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box and much more to come!
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=6886;type=avatar&time=1422481871
COG 9331

Offline Dukedinner

• Mini Bike
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 12:45:12 am »
Collapisable breaker bar? I like that idea, please share...

From Gorilla..I zip tie it facing down behind the battery...

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=59&cat=Tools

2000 C10 / 2001 KLR650 /
COG# 10052   AdvRider

Offline Alekkas

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 01:31:33 am »
For myself, and after going through most mechanical issues in over 80k mile with a CB900, KLR650, and now the Concours, carrying lots of tools in tool tubes or numerous rolls is over-rated. Far less tools (but quality ones), some jumper cables, a pump, and patch kit are all I carry now. On the Connie, everything stores over the battery in a small roll, cables behind the battery, pump and patch kit behind the seat under the rear cover. This includes the 1 1/16" socket and collapsible breaker bar for the rear wheel, plus all the needed Allen wrenches etc. But each to his own.. :great:

Not to turn this into a "what tools do you carry" thread, but I agree that I had a lot of overlap.  A full set of wrenches simply isn't needed for my shorter rides.  Just a few to augment the tool kit.  Allen wrenches fit easy. An adjustable.  Need to consider a socket for the rear.  Nice call on that.  So far from the great info here, I've got everything fitting nicely.  Thanks to all.

I love my tire repair kit.  Small, in a pocket with the cartridges to limp somewhere.  Fits behind the seat very well.  Used it once on a different bike and it worked great.
'08 C14 / PGR  / IBA
Some ride reports:
On two wheels:

Offline BBroj

• Road Bike
  • To be determined...
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 10:05:32 am »
I carry a lot, probably more than needed. But that's always been the case, I'm the guy that will always stop and try to help out another motorist, bike or car. I carry the 27mm  (1-1/16") socket, as well as the 12mm allen for the front wheel. I have a palm sized, double sided 3/8" and 1/2" drive ratchet, but would have to rely on using my foot or improvising a "cheater" for additional leverage. I like the expandable breaker. I also carry a butane solder iron, spare wire , solder, zip ties and an assortment of crimp on connectors. Oh yeah, the crimp tool (a cheap one) too!

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/GDW0/GM6223/N0731.oap?ck=Search_N0731_-1_-1&pt=N0731&ppt=C0216
COG 9331

Offline virtualdev

• Ride.all.year.
  • Street Cruiser
  • car broken, ride all winter
    • The Borked Universe
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 05:04:15 pm »
On the Connie, everything stores over the battery in a small roll, cables behind the battery, pump and patch kit behind the seat under the rear cover.

Interesting, I'd love to hear more about a pump small enough to fit under the rear cover, that sounds like a great idea!

Right now, I only carry the OEM tool kit (had to get one off eBay).  It has most of what I'd need, and if I needed more, it's unlikely that I'd be able to fix it on the road.  Just a few electrical tools and feeler gauges besides that.

I like this idea about the stereo dash pocket behind the battery, I think I even have one laying around...
Portland, OR - '86 Concours "Big Bertha" - '13 Vulcan 900 Custom - '72 Lido 14' - COG #10224 - CDA #0421 - C10 Repair log

Offline Dukedinner

• Mini Bike
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 08:06:08 pm »
Interesting, I'd love to hear more about a pump small enough to fit under the rear cover, that sounds like a great idea!

It is a small hi-pressure (120psi) Mountain Bike pump from  Mountain Equipment Co-Op here in Canada (or REI etc in the US). Mounts with zip ties sideways just aft of the bar holding the seat clip apparatus. I have pumped up three tires with it over the years(slow though)..good for emergencies. I think a stripped down 12v pump like many carry on AdvRider bikes would also fit back there as well..
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:08:25 pm by Dukedinner »
2000 C10 / 2001 KLR650 /
COG# 10052   AdvRider