Author Topic: Throttlemeister setting itself  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Throttlemeister setting itself
« on: April 06, 2017, 10:43:48 am »
I have the Throttlemeister throttle lock and recently it has begun turning on it's own.  This is only occurring when I'm cruising down the highway with RPM's between 4K and 5K (peak vibration range).  It won't lock the throttle to the point I can't release it, but it's a little unnerving to see the knob twisting on it's own.  Otherwise, operation is very smooth with only a slight resistance while turning until it starts to engage.  Anyone else had this issue?

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
Re: Throttlemeister setting itself
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 02:37:02 pm »
No.
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline MichiGlenn

• Road Bike
  • "Wherever you are, be all there" Jim Elliot
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10892
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 03:19:49 pm »
Mine tends to turn on it's own at times too. It also doesn't hold strongly when engaged. Not sure I got all the parts on my used fleabay unit.
I mostly use a caterpillar o-ring.
2001 C-10
1977 Honda CB750K Sold
1978 Honda CB750K Long Gone
1972 Honda CL175 Ancient History
Heald Super Tryke 8hp, Wards T555 Trike

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 03:55:13 pm »
Hi,
        I bought a Throttlemiester  used and wasn't happy how it worked (or didn't!)

Sent it back to Throttlemiester and all good!

Nice people and they want you happy with their product! ;D ;

http://throttlemeister.com/
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline beaucephus

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12214
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 12:40:01 am »
Check the install instructions.  Mine is missing the sleeve that goes over the grip.  I have Murph's grips, and I'm guessing they didn't all play well together.  Mine doesn't hold well enough to work so It's currently disengaged.   I got a throttle rocker and haven't missed it yet.  Been thinking about cruise control...

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 09:51:43 am »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll pull it apart and check to see if all the parts are there.  It came with the bike and has worked fine for 4 years. 

Offline angelo

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 06:18:54 pm »
Check the install instructions.  Mine is missing the sleeve that goes over the grip.  I have Murph's grips, and I'm guessing they didn't all play well together.  Mine doesn't hold well enough to work so It's currently disengaged.   I got a throttle rocker and haven't missed it yet.  Been thinking about cruise control...

Bingo.  Same throttlemeister came with my C10, moved it to a 919 (needed different mounting hardware from them) then to my C14.  Plastic sleeve is key.  Once right, perfect function for each bike.  Somewhere in there, I think I went to Ace for some additional / different sized washers.  Only thing I can imagine happening over time is the plastic sleeve "setting in" further. 

I love them for a throttle lock. 

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 10:24:33 am »
Problem fixed.  There are 2 o-rings which prevent the lubricant on the threaded insert from seeping out and apply the friction to keep the knob from rotating by itself.  The larger of the 2 o-rings had lost it's elasticity.  Replaced it and now the knob has slightly firm, smooth operation when twisted.

Offline beaucephus

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12214
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 01:39:33 am »
Update:  A call to Throttlemeister / Marker Machine got me the missing sleeve and some extra washers.  Hold is 100% now.  If you're having trouble, call them.  Real people answer.