Author Topic: Vent flaps for engine heat  (Read 6852 times)

Offline Gusto

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Vent flaps for engine heat
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2018, 02:09:02 am »
Dave thanks for all your research on all this stuff.  It gets real hot here in Texas and I’m going to make my flaps soon.  I wore ankle socks with my riding pants on a warm day and the hot air burned my left leg pretty good. Painful and red. Full length socks fixed the issue for now but it’s not July yet!!

Offline DaveSz

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11468
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2018, 09:36:43 pm »
For anybody having trouble keeping their top heat shield in place, I find it easy enough to check by just reaching in between the forks.  And easy enough to fasten in place with a wire tie on each corner.  Through the square holes in the top heat shield, and around the tabs and screws of the rad's protective screen.  Seems to be holding fine.  See photo of left side wire tie, on my Connie.  Camera held just between the forks for the photo. 

Dave
DaveSz
1993 C10 w/107K
1996 Honda CBR600F3
1987 Honda VFR F2
1985 Honda 650 Nighthawk

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2018, 12:33:16 am »
Good idea DaveSz. Looking at your photo that wire loom behind the radiator screw seems like one of those wires are getting chaffed. I gotta make me a pair of those shields for the warmer weather. Thanks for all the research that went into the design.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline DaveSz

• Tricycle
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2018, 11:54:36 am »
Thanks, Bob.  The wiring isn't so tidy, but has a bunch of that "liquid tape" on it, so should be OK.  But not pretty.  I recently soldered in a  temp sensor bypass switch on the radiator fan, so I could try a bit of "manual fan" when I'm caught in traffic.  Was reading about the "BMW Johnny Blanket", mentioned by Jacksdad, and one of the BMW guys on their forum mentioned using a manual fan switch in traffic.  Just thought I'd try it on Connie, when we finally get some heat this summer.   The vent flaps work pretty well when riding, but sitting and cooking in traffic is still an issue.

Dave

DaveSz
1993 C10 w/107K
1996 Honda CBR600F3
1987 Honda VFR F2
1985 Honda 650 Nighthawk

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2018, 01:04:12 pm »
Be carful with your fan bypass switch.
  Leaving it on accidentally {when you get off the bike}, will quickly drain the battery.
     {Don't ask me how  know this   :-[}

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 00 and 86 Connie's

To contribute to "OtP", DO IT NOW!!
It's EZ: Go to the top of the Forum and follow the steps.

Offline DaveSz

• Tricycle
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2018, 01:04:59 am »
Hi Ted,

The fan is on a 10 amp fuse on my Connie.  Was curious about the amps pulled, so tried a 5 amp fuse.  Blew in 5 seconds.  So somewhere between 6 and 9 amps?  Don't have a suitable meter for DC amps handy.  But for sure don't want to leave it on!   Fortunately, had a left-over switch with indicator light in my electrical junk drawer, and it is bright enough to be seen in daylight.  Also was tempted by a spare turn signal beeper, but I'm making too much noise as it is!

The BMW guys thought running the fan on manual was some help with heat when in traffic.  What do you think for the Connie?

Dave

DaveSz
1993 C10 w/107K
1996 Honda CBR600F3
1987 Honda VFR F2
1985 Honda 650 Nighthawk

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2018, 08:57:10 am »
It kept the engine cooler.
One drawback; It also {continuously} blows heat back on your leg.

In Houston stop and go,,, arghhhhhhhhh!!

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 00 and 86 Connie's

To contribute to "OtP", DO IT NOW!!
It's EZ: Go to the top of the Forum and follow the steps.

Offline DaveSz

• Tricycle
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2018, 12:55:16 am »
We finally had three warm days (70+ degF) to ride this week.  Screaming winds, but still much appreciated.  I wanted to measure the oil temps with/without the vent flaps.  Had gotten 160 degF sight glass/170 bottom of pan when riding without vent flaps on 40 degF ambient days.  Cooler than I expected. 

With the ambient at 70 - 75 degF, and no vent flaps, and checking after 20 miles at motorway speed, I had 190/200 degF (sight glass/bottom of pan) with the laser infrared temp sensor.   And for sure, hot legs. 

Then with the vent flaps on, and the same ambient temps, I found the engine oil temps to be lower after riding 20 miles.  180/190.  And for sure, I had cooler legs. 

But when I rode on to the next rest stop on the motorway, cool and comfortable with the vent flaps still on, and checked again, the oil temperatures had eventually risen to 190/200 degF.  Took a little longer to heat up, but as far as I can measure with the hand held sensor, the oil temp with vent flaps on ends up reaching the same temperature (as without vent flaps) after 40 miles at speed.   

Did several checks this week, with some small variation, but effectively the same results.   Will make another comparison when the temps get up in the 80s.  Am curious how hot the oil gets on Connie.   

Am thinking how to put a more accurate digital oil temp sensor on Connie full time.  Anyone do that?  So far, the only idea I've had is to drill out one of the oil drain plugs, and solder in an RTD temp sensor with digital display.  Suggestions?  Would be better than just the radiator temp for judging winter warmups!

Dave

DaveSz
1993 C10 w/107K
1996 Honda CBR600F3
1987 Honda VFR F2
1985 Honda 650 Nighthawk