Author Topic: Volthttps://www.allelectronics.com/index.php?page=seek&id%5Bm%5D=pattern&idmeter  (Read 1294 times)

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7122
  • Membership Level: Active
Here is a link to a cheap digital voltmeter. Sorry I don't know how to make
it an active link.

https://www.allelectronics.com/index.php?page=seek&id%5Bm%5D=pattern&id%5Bq%5D=pm-126

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
does this stay plugged in to your battery at all times.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
does this stay plugged in to your battery at all times.

unless you run it on a relay, pretty much...

never had much use for one, but...
if you go that route, maybe you would want to "mod" it, find a plastic 'bubble' like container that crews/nuts/washers, etc., comes in from the wall rack display, fill it up with silicone sealer, or epoxy, and press the unit into it to seal everything up and make the back waterproof... because it clearly isn't as it stands.. and twist the red and yellow wires together and run it directly to the battery THRU a switched relay, actuated by a switched circuit on the bike (key on/key off), or just wire it to the switched circuit itself..(but then you would see voltage drops/changes caused by turn signals, lights,engine rev's, etc. maybe..)

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
What MOB said.

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
I have seen batteries come with a small built in digital volt meters on them now. But there is no real use of those anyway. Never have I checked volts in a battery. If a battery is a few years old and won't recharge I just get a new one.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
I have seen batteries come with a small built in digital volt meters on them now. But there is no real use of those anyway. Never have I checked volts in a battery. If a battery is a few years old and won't recharge I just get a new one.

another idea...
you could run it right to the battery, but also just wire in a waterproof "momentary" DPST push button switch, right next to the display... and waterproof the connections on it also... now that would be the right idea... as 99.9999% of it's life it really just can sit there 'Until asked"... I hate having a red glaring extra light to constantly pull my attention from looking at the road... and I'm sure if it wa "on" all the time, it would make any normal person "OCD" for a month.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

hey $4...  :great: :great:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
Yes it's not prefect. But with a bit of effort it can be made to work.
I like volt meters because it allows me to watch the alternator and
rectifier work. It's easy to see if the battery and it's cables are working
the way I want them to.

Offline fred-houston

• Officer
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG Membership Officer
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9066
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 12:28:42 am by fred-houston »
Fred Boothe - COG Membership Officer
Missouri City, TeXaS
1999 C-10 EFI (Semi Naked)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere

Offline kkja13

• Mini Bike
  • Tyler, TX
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
2004 C10
2003 Suzuki SV650s
2000 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 (75mpg!)
1993 Suzuki DR350; 1984 Honda XR200R (RFVC); 1985 Yamaha PW80; 1975 Yamaha DT175;
1974 Honda ST90; 1973 Honda Z50 (first bike, still runs)

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
I like this style.  You get a voltmeter and 2 USB's.

https://www.amazon.com/YonHan-Charger-Waterproof-Aluminum-Voltmeter/dp/B07FXH5ZZK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=CYUWKU4170LF&keywords=usb+volt+meter&qid=1552068722&s=automotive&sprefix=usb+volt+%2Cautomotive%2C192&sr=1-3

I have one of those in my 66 galaxie, its in the old lighter location in the ashtray. works very well actually, and makes charging stuff a snap.

Offline rgmr250

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
another idea...
you could run it right to the battery, but also just wire in a waterproof "momentary" DPST push button switch, right next to the display... and waterproof the connections on it also... now that would be the right idea... as 99.9999% of it's life it really just can sit there 'Until asked"... I hate having a red glaring extra light to constantly pull my attention from looking at the road... and I'm sure if it wa "on" all the time, it would make any normal person "OCD" for a month.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

hey $4...  :great: :great:

I like that Idea. I got one of these, in white, and like it: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Car-Motorcycle-Digital-LED-Display-Voltage-Volt-Gauge-Voltmeter-Panel-Meter-AS/292883292132?hash=item4431345fe4:m:m0z_uOxJ_sWgWLCgvktNnlw

Having the momentary switch would be nice, so it's not always on, just press the button to see the voltage. I guess the only issue is you wouldn't see a voltage drop if there was a problem until you noticed something else and pushed the button - with it always on, you'd likely see a drop while riding and realize there was a problem.

I currently have the red wire going to the ignition box under the seat going to a relay, which then switches on power from the (always on) powered accessory lead on that same batch of wiring, running up to the dash (with a split for a cigarette lighter plug under the left pocket for the USB power for the GPS, and one split for a future USB charging plug), and to the display. It does seem to read a little lower voltage, though, than I get at the battery. Maybe if I took power directly from the battery (instead of the accessory wire) to the relay it would have less voltage drop?
1993 ZG1000

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
I have use a ,BlueFire Waterproof 5V/2.1A Dual USB Charger Socket Motorcycle handle bar clamping item.
It has a blue voltmeter and lite on/off switch. Got it off "Amazon.com" for $19.99
It seem to be working well and serving my needs on my KLR.
Sorry I can't provide an more description.

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
I have use a ,BlueFire Waterproof 5V/2.1A Dual USB Charger Socket Motorcycle handle bar clamping item.
It has a blue voltmeter and lite on/off switch. Got it off "Amazon.com" for $19.99
It seem to be working well and serving my needs on my KLR.
Sorry I can't provide an more description.
This?
https://www.amazon.com/BlueFire-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Cigarette/dp/B075D8C565
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket