Author Topic: 2008 engine heat - riding comfort solutions?  (Read 2855 times)

Offline Rob

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
2008 engine heat - riding comfort solutions?
« on: May 20, 2014, 05:17:55 pm »
I know this is a much debated subjective issue. Many owners don't have any difficulty with the heat output from the first two model years of the bikes. Others do.

So adding a comment about your experiences riding on the surface of the sun and finding no problem with the engine heat aren't particularly helpful. , But it's the internet; if you feel an uncontrollable need to assert this problem doesn't exist, or only exists for riders less experienced/manly than you are,  no one can stop you...  ???

I have a 2008 that I'm contemplating selling simply because once the weather heads toward summer temperatures, the heat from the engine is too much for me. Even when full of fuel the gas tank radiates more heat than I can comfortably handle. My preferred riding style is to have my knees in tight against the tank. I find it uncomfortable to try and change my riding position to avoid contact with the tank.

Are there any modifications to the 2008-9 model years that produce a noticeable reduction in heat?

I have tried searching the forum as I know this has been much discussed. It's difficult to find useful information in part because of the volume of posts  saying the either the problem doesn't exist or buy a 2010+ model.

So in the interest of saving everyone's valuable time, decreasing the signal to noise ratio, and avoiding any unnecessary contribution to global warming, glacier retreat, and over heated polar bears through unnecessary use of the internet I acknowledge that:

1) Anyone who does not notice engine heat in the 2008-9 models must be a far better motorcyclist than those who do, AND
2) An obvious solution is to spend thousands of dollars on purchasing a newer model.

With those formalities out of the way, let the useful discussion begin....  :motonoises:

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9735
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: 2008 engine heat - riding comfort solutions?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 05:44:09 pm »
Rob,
What other bikes have you had?
Where about's in the PNW do you live?
What do you usually wear when riding?

BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline Tremainiac

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 05:59:11 pm »
I ride with boots and armored britches most of the time.
I suspect the knee armor insulates my legs from the heat from the tank, and the armor in the front of the boots from the heat from the cowling.
Only notice the heat if riding in jeans in local traffic.
Sitting astride a 157 HP engine, I can expect it to generate some heat.
I don't find the heat to be any worse than other bikes I own.
09 Concours
03 Thunderbird Sport

Offline MrSkydriver

• When all else fails, read the instructions!
  • Road Bike
  • Gregg Hackett
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10363
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 06:27:20 pm »
I have an '08 with the heat shields.  They came on the bike so I don't know how bad it would be without them.  I wear boots and chaps all of the time and the heat does not bother me even in our 100+ weather in NorCal.  I did go for a ride once in the summer with jeans on and noticed it was a lot hotter.  I think the boots and chaps shield the heat quite well.   :motonoises:
Gregg Hackett
'08 Concours C14 ABS
Boerne, TX
COG #10363
Growing old is mandatory...Growing up is optional

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 08:59:27 pm »
I have a 2008 with over 161 HP and I have not noticed heat being a problem  from the bike..I too like to straddle the tank the same way I learned to ride horses. I have ridden in 120 degrees going out and back from last years Nationals but no issues with the bike. Riding in Florida is a little too much when its gets over 95 due to humidity but never due to the bike.
I have  the extra foam kit on mine plus I am told that  the over sized header pipes on my  AreaP maybe helping by moving the exhaust heat back further.
At least try the  foam kit.  How is there so much heat coming round the gas tank? Or is it the gas tank itself?  Maybe your bike is missing something in that area. Have you owned the bike since new?
Oh, maybe because I never wear mesh clothing anymore. I know this sounds weird but I find mesh too hot. I wear the same  Aerostich pants and jacket all year round hot or cold.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:04:13 pm by Daytona_Mike »
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Rob

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 09:21:08 pm »
I have these on my 08 and the heat is not an issue.
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-08-09-Concours-14-GTR-1400-Heat-Shields/281340602080?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222008%26algo%3DSIC.MOTORS%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107083349%26meid%3D7038744753921645150%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D20140107083349%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D281312103669
I also always wear high boots. In rush hour stop and go traffic heat is more noticeable. I ride in temps over 90 all the time.

I looked at those but the folks who have them installed them, as I understand it, to reduce heat on their feet and lower legs. I have read comments that this simply forces more heat out higher up on the fairing. Since that's where all the heat that's bothering me is coming from I suspect this would make things worse.

It's clearly a subjective issue - some don't even notice the heat and others, like me, cook. I think the fairing re-design by Kawasaki shows there were enough customers complaining that a change was made. Yamaha experienced the same complaints with the first generation FJR. I owned a sec gen FJR and didn't like the heat but found it tolerable.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 09:30:15 pm »
I agree Rob, that foam would make it worse at the tank. I wonder if it is your bike or all 1st gen C14's or maybe you,
Only one way to know. Come to the National Rally and test ride some other bikes.
2000 Red C10 1052 kit

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 09:30:26 pm »
I used a heat reflective fabric to line the underside of the tank back to the seat area to direct the rising heat away from the open fairing to tank seams. I had Zteve's heat blockers in both sides but removed the left side. This has proven the best solution for me.

Offline Rob

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 09:43:47 pm »
Rob,
1) What other bikes have you had?
2) Where about's in the PNW do you live?
3) What do you usually wear when riding?

1) A very long time ago I had Suzuki GS750 and 1100 bikes. Not as long ago I've ridden police Harley FLHTP and BMW RTP. On a hot day the Harley was brutal; it was like straddling a BBQ. The BMW wasn't nearly as bad. Most recently I had a 2008 FJR which was pretty similar to the BMW RT.

I know first gen FJR riders were putting a piece of self adhesive insulation with reflective material on the bottom of their gas tanks. I'm under the impression the Concours already has something like that.

2) I live in the rain forests of British Columbia, but I'm not a lumberjack or singing Mountie. 
 " Leaping from tree to tree! As they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia! With my best girl by my side! The Larch! The Pine! The Giant Redwood tree! The Sequoia! The Little Whopping Rule Tree! We'd sing! Sing! Sing! Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,I sleep all night and I work all day." [(I'm sure the average Concours rider is old enough to remember Monty Python. Thought I better get that in there before someone else does.)

3) I am generally ATGATT, but motorcycle specific pants are the item I'm most likely to leave behind. When I wear blue jeans the heat is pretty annoying. When i wear riding pants, the heat seems to come through the synthetic material even faster. I wear leather ankle boots - my feet and lower legs are warm but tolerable.

Offline ConnieFan

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 10:29:28 pm »
Rob, like you, when it gets warm, I notice it around the tank when I ride with my knees in tight. And of course, the heat at the ankles. Since I live in Phoenix though, I just pick my poison. Heat from the bike vs. heat from the sun.  It's all just heat to me.

You would have to search the COG site, but I read once that someone with the heat blockers had drilled some angled holes in the foam to reduced the heat pushed towards the tank. Sort of a compromise between full foam and none.

Perhaps those who have drilled their foam can chime in.

Any chance you can find someone near you with a 2010+ model to try out? A side by side test might be in order.

Sorry to hear it's too much for you. I hope you find a solution soon.

Joe

----------------------------------------------------------------
Every day above ground is a good day.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 10:50:08 pm »
Rob,
1) What other bikes have you had?
2) Where about's in the PNW do you live?
3) What do you usually wear when riding?

1) A very long time ago I had Suzuki GS750 and 1100 bikes. Not as long ago I've ridden police Harley FLHTP and BMW RTP. On a hot day the Harley was brutal; it was like straddling a BBQ. The BMW wasn't nearly as bad. Most recently I had a 2008 FJR which was pretty similar to the BMW RT.

I know first gen FJR riders were putting a piece of self adhesive insulation with reflective material on the bottom of their gas tanks. I'm under the impression the Concours already has something like that.

2) I live in the rain forests of British Columbia, but I'm not a lumberjack or singing Mountie. 
 " Leaping from tree to tree! As they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia! With my best girl by my side! The Larch! The Pine! The Giant Redwood tree! The Sequoia! The Little Whopping Rule Tree! We'd sing! Sing! Sing! Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,I sleep all night and I work all day." [(I'm sure the average Concours rider is old enough to remember Monty Python. Thought I better get that in there before someone else does.)

3) I am generally ATGATT, but motorcycle specific pants are the item I'm most likely to leave behind. When I wear blue jeans the heat is pretty annoying. When i wear riding pants, the heat seems to come through the synthetic material even faster. I wear leather ankle boots - my feet and lower legs are warm but tolerable.

Well welcome to the forum my neighbor to the north, I'm just down in Portland.  :beerchug:

I figured your weather (rain forest) was similar to what we have down here in Portland, pretty mild and rarely ever hot out?  ???

The Suzi GS's I'm familiar with, I had quite a few 80's oil cooled Suzi's, and they were all far more hot to ride than my Connie (I as well have a "first gen" 09).

Maybe there is something wrong/missing with your bike, sorry I can't help more, I've never thought that my 09 was too hot, I've seen others post about it but just figured they lived in the dessert somewhere hot?  ???

Good luck on your quest to cool it down a bit, but in the end if it truly is too hot for ya then I guess just sell it...  :(

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 11:34:35 pm »
the gas tank radiates more heat than I can comfortably handle. My preferred riding style is to have my knees in tight against the tank. I find it uncomfortable to try and change my riding position to avoid contact with the tank.

I just thought of another thing that would maybe help you, have you already put the TechSpec on the tank? If not, maybe that would help?  ???

http://techspec-usa.com/magento/index.php/motorcycles/kawasaki.html

Offline Rob

• Tricycle
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 11:50:01 pm »

I just thought of another thing that would maybe help you, have you already put the TechSpec on the tank? If not, maybe that would help?  ???

http://techspec-usa.com/magento/index.php/motorcycles/kawasaki.html
[/quote]

I have seen those in photographs but don't know anyone who owns them. I wonder if they make a difference?

They remind me of my BMW R75/5 toaster tank. I don't know if that would help or not. I believe they were developed to avoid unsightly wear of the paint. However adding unsightly rubber pads may not be an improvement...  ???

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 01:01:28 am »
It's dirt cheap to try em, if it doesn't work peel em off and toss in the trash. I was only trying to help you, but I can tell from your posts that might not happen, so I'll move on. Good luck.

Offline ConnieFan

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 02:56:43 am »

I have seen those in photographs but don't know anyone who owns them. I wonder if they make a difference?

They remind me of my BMW R75/5 toaster tank. I don't know if that would help or not. I believe they were developed to avoid unsightly wear of the paint. However adding unsightly rubber pads may not be an improvement...  ???

Unsightly? I like the contrast they add. As for helping with heat, I did notice that my knees were a tiny bit cooler than without them.

Tech Specs +  heat blockers + engine heat shield (or whatever the hell that foil cover thingy is) probably totals less than $100 and some of your time. Not a bad investment to see if you can be comfortable. If that does not work, time to upgrade to a 2014, or wait for the 2015.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Every day above ground is a good day.

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 03:14:06 am »
Sounds like you should sell it.

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 10:32:11 am »
I have these on my 08 and the heat is not an issue.
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-08-09-Concours-14-GTR-1400-Heat-Shields/281340602080?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222008%26algo%3DSIC.MOTORS%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107083349%26meid%3D7038744753921645150%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D20140107083349%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D281312103669
I also always wear high boots. In rush hour stop and go traffic heat is more noticeable. I ride in temps over 90 all the time.

I looked at those but the folks who have them installed them, as I understand it, to reduce heat on their feet and lower legs. I have read comments that this simply forces more heat out higher up on the fairing. Since that's where all the heat that's bothering me is coming from I suspect this would make things worse.

It's clearly a subjective issue - some don't even notice the heat and others, like me, cook. I think the fairing re-design by Kawasaki shows there were enough customers complaining that a change was made. Yamaha experienced the same complaints with the first generation FJR. I owned a sec gen FJR and didn't like the heat but found it tolerable.

Different windshields and adjusting windshield height can make a big difference as to the amount of heat that comes up from the engine.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline Junior

• Tricycle
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 07:56:12 pm »
I have an 08 model, bought it completely stalk slightly used. Previous owner said it was too hot. It can get up to 110 on summer days where I live so eventually I found the bike friggin hot. I first installed the bubble wrap under the tank but finally resorted to going to a full Area P exhaust. Best thing I ever did. Just add money and heat begone!

Offline Rob

• Tricycle
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 10:32:18 pm »
I have an 08 model, bought it completely stalk slightly used. Previous owner said it was too hot. It can get up to 110 on summer days where I live so eventually I found the bike friggin hot. I first installed the bubble wrap under the tank but finally resorted to going to a full Area P exhaust. Best thing I ever did. Just add money and heat begone!

What do you think was responsible for the heat reduction? I'm wondering if the catalytic convertor may be responsible for much of the exhaust heat. I would also expect that since there's so much air movement under the bike, the exhaust wouldn't be a major contributor to heat.

A friend also has a 2008 with similar mileage. We traded bikes for a 40 minute ride. The temperature gauge on my bike - which obviously isn't super accurate - was often one bar higher than his and was never lower.

The original owner installed plexi wind deflectors that fit between the mirrors and the windshield. After riding my friend's bike, I was surprised to find how much air movement they were blocking. I have since taken them off for the summer. Aside from the additional air movement, I didn't notice any difference in engine heat between his bike and mine. It was a cooler day.

My friend thought the lower pegs on my bike made his feet and shins feel hotter. Overall he said my bike was noticeably warmer than his, but still within his comfort range.

I have purchased some adhesive foil that's sold as heat shielding for engine firewalls. I plan to add some to the bottom of the fuel tank to see if it helps. All the factory shielding seems to be in place on my fairing.

Offline Rob

• Tricycle
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 10:34:37 pm »
Sounds like you should sell it.

That's very helpful; thanks for taking the time to contribute your expertise and opinion.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 10:59:20 pm »
I went for a ride yesterday in shorts and  sneakers- not a long long ride but enough to say - I dont have any heat issues.
It so happens I have a Full AreaP as well.  That must be it.
2000 Red C10 1052 kit

Offline Junior

• Tricycle
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2014, 11:37:23 pm »
The heat is most definitely from the catalytic converters in the stock exhaust. You can see them in the header pipe when it is removed. I should of taken a pic before I stored them away. 

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2014, 11:00:03 am »
Too bad there wasnt a way to install a 'test pipe'  in place of the converter once it is cut off. It really stuffs up the engine and creates a lot of heat.
2000 Red C10 1052 kit

Offline Squid4life

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11499
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2014, 01:31:21 pm »
So let me get this straight!  I do like the bike as well but the heat from it drives me nuts...

Options

A) buy a full system(area P).

B) get a header from a zx-14(06-07 pref since they have no cat on the header) but i know there is something about the piping being a bit smaller(something like that)

Now whatever i decide will that help me with getting rid of some of the heat coming from the bike?
I Read More than I Post!!!