Author Topic: 2008 engine heat - riding comfort solutions?  (Read 2856 times)

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9735
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: 2008 engine heat - riding comfort solutions?
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2014, 03:42:05 pm »
So let me get this straight!  I do like the bike as well but the heat from it drives me nuts...

Options

A) buy a full system(area P).

B) get a header from a zx-14(06-07 pref since they have no cat on the header) but i know there is something about the piping being a bit smaller(something like that)

Now whatever i decide will that help me with getting rid of some of the heat coming from the bike?

Any cat-less full system should do the trick IMO, I run the Muzzys full dual system and have no issues with heat on my 09.  :great:

BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline ConnieFan

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2014, 03:08:23 am »
So let me get this straight!  I do like the bike as well but the heat from it drives me nuts...

Options

A) buy a full system(area P).

B) get a header from a zx-14(06-07 pref since they have no cat on the header) but i know there is something about the piping being a bit smaller(something like that)

Now whatever i decide will that help me with getting rid of some of the heat coming from the bike?

It should definitely get rid of some heat but whether that will eliminate your discomfort is not a guarantee. Before you drop the coin, perhaps you can ask around to find someone in your general area who has made the change and see if you can arrange a brief ride. It would be a shame for you to spend all that money and still not be content.

Of course, your bike would sound great and look way better. Oh, go dual exhaust. It looks waaaay better than a single. I love my VH CS1 dual set up.

joe
----------------------------------------------------------------
Every day above ground is a good day.

Offline SkipH76

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2014, 01:59:20 am »
I have an 09 and double insulated under the tank and side panels along with Zteve's heat shields.  The next thing I did was to wear Under Armour Heatgear tights as a base layer under riding pants - seems strange putting on MORE to stay cool but it works for me!   :)  My final mod was to cut down a windscreen to just above the instruments - more than 7 inches off the Calsci dark sport model.  My helmet is in mostly clean air and a big benefit is the air spills over into my lap moving some air around the knees.  NO air movement happens in this area with a taller shield - that's why you can stand up for a hundred yards or so and the tank area where your knees touch cools quickly - air is then pushed down and flows around this area.   This combo made a 108 degree ride possible last summer...

Hope you find a solution!  Oh yeah, I also have the Tech Spec knee grips but didn't notice a heat change but they're bound to help a little.