Author Topic: Hose clips on front fender  (Read 3558 times)

Offline Bud

• Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Hose clips on front fender
« on: May 28, 2014, 03:57:00 am »
Not being able to remove the front fender prior to removing the tire is a pain which I doubt the Kawasaki designers and engineers have ever experienced or they would have used the type of clip designed to open and close.  Numerous members of this forum have complained about the added difficulty one experiences because of this oversight.  The picture below reveals my solution from NAPA Auto Parts.  It's inexpensive and allows one to remove the fender with the tire in place and then to easily put it all back together with new rubber installed.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 04:00:54 am by Bud »

Offline JPavlis_CA

• San Jose CA
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 2293
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Hose clips on front fender
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 04:29:43 am »
Great find, Bud.   :great:

Butt... I don't understand you saying you can't remove the fender without removing the clips. I've done three front tire changes without removing the clips from the fender. Just unbolt the fender and lift it to clear the wheel. Then let it hang from the brake hose. It weighs nothing so no big deal.

Yeah, not elegant I suppose, but it gets the job done.
All God's male children tend to be low-life, sleaze-ball, early apexers - Terry Earwood, Chief Instructor, Skip Barber Racing School.

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 09:45:46 am »
Excellent find. I will check for those next time I'm in Napa. When I installed the fender extender I had to wrestle with those little buggers but eventually got them off.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline Bud

• Moped
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 01:18:18 pm »
Great find, Bud.   :great:
Butt... I don't understand you saying you can't remove the fender without removing the clips. I've done three front tire changes without removing the clips from the fender. Just unbolt the fender and lift it to clear the wheel. Then let it hang from the brake hose. It weighs nothing so no big deal.
Yeah, not elegant I suppose, but it gets the job done.

Thanks for the wake up Jim.

I'm well aware of what you just explained and I have never actually removed the fender to change the tire either and should have stated as such.  What I wrote in the original post was poorly written for failing to explain this clearly.  What I should have written would have made this clear.  It's just that the removal of the tire and the installation of the tire is a pain in the a$$ with the fender still attached to the brake hoses as one has to raise the fender with one hand while manipulating the tire with the other.  Not much bother when removing the tire but plenty irksome when installing the tire.  It's just a whole lot easier if one can simply unclip the hoses and pull the fender out of there to get the tire off and then easily position the tire and wheel when installing it.  Then finish the job by sliding the fender in place, attaching it to the forks and finally clipping the hoses to it. 

I decided to do something about this a few days ago when I actually removed the fender by squeezing the clips with a pair of needle nose pliers from under fender when I installed Traxxion cartridges in the forks.  I also upgraded the rear shock with one from Penske.  When I put it all back together I decided to lower the bike a bit with longer links from Muzzys and by raising the forks in their triple clamps.  I have shrunk to 5'8" compared to 5"10" in my youth and at 73 am not as strong as I once was.  This bike is also a hell of a lot taller and heavier than anything available when I was taller and stronger.  It doesn't have to lean very far when stopped before it's just too damn tall and top heavy for an old phart to be able to keep it upright.  I had to wait a week for delivery of the Muzzy links so I left the clips detached for the week I rode the bike while waiting for the links to be delivered.  Removing the forks for the cartridge exchange or for raising the forks in the triple clamps can be done with the fender in place but is a whole lot easier with it the hell out of the way.  Yesterday when I installed the links and raised the forks I decided to look for clips that could be opened and closed for easy fender removal with the tire in place and found the NAPA clips.  Because people have complained about the stock clips in other threads I have read, I figured that it would be appropriate for me to share knowledge of this particular option and introduced this thread to the forum. 

After posting this thread but before actually finishing the job by plugging the clips in the fender and attaching them to the hoses I decided to remove the needless ridge from inside the clips.  I did so with a Dremel tool and a small grinding wheel turning at the slowest speed available.  The below pictures clearly show this to be an improvement.  With the ridge intact the NAPA clip will still have ample room to enclose the hose without interference.  I prefer it to be removed though as it then provides a wider and smoother surface for the hose to rest on.  The NAPA part number for the clips I bought is 784288.  However, if you choose to remove the ridge than I suggest purchasing the next smaller size clip, NAPA part number 784287.  Had I to do it again, knowing the ridge would be removed, I would get the smaller of the two examples described.

If you choose to utilize these clips that open and close, be certain to orient them in such a way as to be able to easily access the side that allows a small screwdriver to be inserted to pry them open.  If you look at the photo with the ridges in place you can see that this is the side that will not allow insertion of the screwdriver.  The last picture shows the side you want to be able to get to when the clip is installed and the hose is in place.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:49:58 pm by Bud »

Offline Bud

• Moped
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 01:42:44 pm »
Excellent find. I will check for those next time I'm in Napa. When I installed the fender extender I had to wrestle with those little buggers but eventually got them off.

I quite agree Charlie as the only time I have ever removed the fender was when I installed a fender extender nearly five years ago.  However, the term I used to describe them was a bit less polite than "little buggers". 

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 12:18:22 am »
I have taken the fender off several times or the hoses and I just grab the clips and pull. They always come out fine. Maybe they are a bit worn....

However, that looks great if you break one. Better than paying for the OEM part. And you can put it on without taking the brake lines off.

Offline Bud

• Moped
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 12:44:27 am »
I have taken the fender off several times or the hoses and I just grab the clips and pull. They always come out fine. Maybe they are a bit worn....

However, that looks great if you break one. Better than paying for the OEM part. And you can put it on without taking the brake lines off.

The OEM part is split and can be removed or replaced without taking the brake line off.

Offline JPavlis_CA

• San Jose CA
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 2293
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 01:36:55 am »
Bud - I understand that when doing major work as you have, it's best to get the fender out of the way completely. But for pulling just the wheel I've never really thought about it or found it to be a problem. And if the fender was in my way, I'd probably just grab a couple of bungie cords to hold the fender up while putting the wheel in place. I guess I've been wrenching so long I look for short cuts where possible, and deal with assemblies, not piece parts wherever possible. I've been to a lot of wrench sessions where guys take three times longer to do the job because they take off each individual piece rather than the whole assembly at once. C10 coils are a good example. I've seen guys take the spark plug wires off the coils before removing the coils from the frame. Why?  I just shake my head and have another beer.
All God's male children tend to be low-life, sleaze-ball, early apexers - Terry Earwood, Chief Instructor, Skip Barber Racing School.

Offline C14lvr

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 01:42:28 am »
Bud,
Thanks for posting this.
I've been putting up with one I broke on the right side ever since I pulled the wheel the first time.
I'll give those a shot.
Bob
2011 C14 ABS (current bike)
1982 Yamaha XJ1100J (sold)
1979 Yamaha XS11 (3200 original miles)
In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Offline SWOJO95

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 190
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 01:49:44 am »
Just an FYI, but the OEM clips are different depending on what year you have.  I have a 2012 and the OEM clip looks nothing like what you posted although my brothers 2011 has the same split clip you posted.  I found this out the hard way when I was trying to remove my fender to add the fender extender. I had read on the forums that if you could get in under the fender and sqeeze the clip you could push it out. Someone also mentioned that you coud use a 6mm socket and push it over the end of the clip to get it out.  After screwing around with mine for 1/2 an hour, I cut them off.  Once I got the cut piece out I could easily see it was not made to be squeezed together.  I ended up ordering some clips (got spares) from Partzilla for $1.78 ea.  Later I helped my brother with his fender extender on his 2011 and, low and behold, his clips were different, the "split" OEM design that you posted.  The clips I had also opened up like the Napa ones you posted.

It's hard to explain, but the clips on my bike have a small taper with a raise ridge around it.  Once you push them through the hole, that sucker is in there.  You may be able to pull them out, but I put a lot of pull on mine and gave up not wanting to damage the fender.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 01:56:30 am by SWOJO95 »

Offline Bud

• Moped
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 03:23:12 am »
Just an FYI, but the OEM clips are different depending on what year you have.  I have a 2012 and the OEM clip looks nothing like what you posted although my brothers 2011 has the same split clip you posted.  I found this out the hard way when I was trying to remove my fender to add the fender extender. I had read on the forums that if you could get in under the fender and sqeeze the clip you could push it out. Someone also mentioned that you coud use a 6mm socket and push it over the end of the clip to get it out.  After screwing around with mine for 1/2 an hour, I cut them off.  Once I got the cut piece out I could easily see it was not made to be squeezed together.  I ended up ordering some clips (got spares) from Partzilla for $1.78 ea.  Later I helped my brother with his fender extender on his 2011 and, low and behold, his clips were different, the "split" OEM design that you posted.  The clips I had also opened up like the Napa ones you posted.

It's hard to explain, but the clips on my bike have a small taper with a raise ridge around it.  Once you push them through the hole, that sucker is in there.  You may be able to pull them out, but I put a lot of pull on mine and gave up not wanting to damage the fender.

Thanks for the information.  I just assumed that such a simple part that is part of a fender assembly that appears to be the same on all models would all be the same.  To all who are interested in this topic I can only suggest you check to see what you have and determine whether my suggestion will work with your C14.  In other words, "Your mileage may vary"

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 03:57:13 am »

The OEM part is split and can be removed or replaced without taking the brake line off.

Oh, yeah. Forgot that part! I do remember the first time taking them out it was hard. Easier now.

Offline Boomer

• Crotch Rocket
  • Me dwarfing Vivian
    • Boomers GTR Site
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 06:15:46 am »
I just put a piece of 2x4 under the centre-stand and jack up the front until the rear tyre hits the ground.
This makes getting the front wheel out a piece of cake with the fender in situ.
Refitting it is easy as i just let the jack down until it's at the right height,.. after positioning the wheel of course.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK
CDA-007

Offline SWOJO95

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 190
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 09:19:32 am »

Thanks for the information.  I just assumed that such a simple part that is part of a fender assembly that appears to be the same on all models would all be the same.  To all who are interested in this topic I can only suggest you check to see what you have and determine whether my suggestion will work with your C14.  In other words, "Your mileage may vary"

Bud, I was just pointing out the differences in the OEM clips so someone else doesn't spend time trying to squeeze a clip reaching under a raised fender, all in futility.  I would think the clips you provided should work for all years. When I had ordered OEM clips from Partzilla, I ordered spares and when it came time to help my brother on his 2011, we just cut the clips off and replaced them with the new clips and they fit fine.