Author Topic: 2010 C14 Horn  (Read 5989 times)

Offline Rich Wackett - Adventure Traveler Enjoying Life!

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7182
  • Membership Level: Active
2010 C14 Horn
« on: February 19, 2011, 03:59:59 pm »
I find the 2010 C14 horn totally inadequate ... too quiet! I'd appreciate any suggestions on a replacement. Want one that is loud, fits easily replacing the OEM horn, doesn't overload the electric system, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rich
"Adventure Traveler Enjoying Life"

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
Re: 2010 C14 Horn
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 05:12:33 pm »
The Stebel horns are a popular item. Although you will need a relay to run it. But it's a simple install. You can even get the wiring kit from Murph as well.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=130_133&products_id=356

Here's something on it (from the other site) if you would like to read!

http://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=57259
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 05:28:05 pm by Cap'n Bob »

Offline 3greens

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9178
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 06:02:28 pm »
installed the dual stebels  on my 09  and they work , gets the attention of most cagers!!   the install is  pretty easy an dwill not  req too many tools

Offline joe in calif

• Road Bike
  • If you are born once you will die twice,
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 02:09:11 pm »
If you are born once you will die twice.
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline 2011Blk

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 09:52:46 pm »
[quote ]
http://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=57259
[/quote]
I read this topic before I ordered my replacement horns but now I can't get to it. Anyone know where I can find this information? Is it on this site with a different number? Help ...  Thanks.
TJ
TJ
Colorado Springs & Las Cruces

2011 Concours - Fun ;D
08 KLR 650 - 11,000 miles ... sold
78 Yamaha XS-750E - 42,000 miles then gave it to a friend

Studies show that spending one sunny day alone on your motorcycle riding twisty mountain roads does more for your soul than mowing the lawn every Saturday morning for a decade.

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • COG#: 2170
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 10:47:45 pm »
I put a set of GoldWing horns on mine with a relay. I also had Fiamm Freeway blasters on my 08 and they worked well too.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/horns
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline 2011Blk

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 12:47:56 am »
Thanks Fred,
Nice install but I already bought the Stebel horns and wiring harness from Murph. The link had that exact install where the guy made a bracket out of the stuff in the package and installed it in the same place as the stock horn. Looked very good and easy to do. Unfortunately when the other site crashed the link to it no longer works. I was hoping the person who originally posted it would do a repost on the new site.
TJ
TJ

2011 Concours - Fun ;D

Studies show that spending one sunny day alone on your motorcycle riding twisty mountain roads does more for your soul than mowing the lawn every Saturday morning for a decade.

Offline Rusty

• Officer
  • Street Cruiser
  • Live to Ride, Ride to Live-2008 C14
  • COG#: 9585
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 03:15:00 am »
Have the Stebel Horn and it is huge improvement. Mine is under the lower right fairing. Bit of a hassle getting it in there but much better sound!

Offline 2011Blk

• Tricycle
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 02:46:14 am »
I started installing Murph's dual Stebel Horns tonight and so far it has been easy. Hardest thing was learning how to get the right-side fairing off so I could run the wires to the battery. I put them next to the original horn's location using the parts that came with the kit and I'll let you know if they fall off on the way to Wisconsin or on the way back.  ;)
TJ

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 02:28:12 pm by 2011Blk »
TJ

2011 Concours - Fun ;D

Offline 2011Blk

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 02:31:59 pm »
Update: project complete and I only lost one plastic rivet in the fairing somewhere.  >:( Sure wish one of the set of leads from the relay was about 3 inches longer as I had to move the relay down from the really nice place I put it as I couldn't make a right turn.  :-[ OBTW, the horns sound great.
TJ
TJ

2011 Concours - Fun ;D

Offline Tim Anderson

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 9470
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 04:35:08 pm »
Agree the stock horn just does not cut it...  I just completed putting dual tone FIAMM Freeway Blasters on mine, mounted them with small brackets off either side of the front fender, just behind the brake calipers.  This is the same setup I ran on my last two Honda VFRs for many years, works great, sounds awesome!  I also kept the stock horn in place so I have all 3 active.  The stock horn wires now drive the relay for the FIAMMs and I tied the stock horn into the relay output as well.  Cagers beware!!
2010 C14: Guhl reflash, Traxxion AK-20 Forks, Penske shock, Area P slip on, Debadged, Phil’s Rack, FIAMM Freeway Blasters, Laam Seat, Zumo 660, BarEnders, Heattroller, Hyperlites, PR3s, Fender Extender, StarCom Audio, Front running lights, Pinned bags, Vision +100 headlights.

Offline rdm197apd

• Mini Bike
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 11:22:50 pm »
I installed a "bad boy" horn from WOLO that i found at Autozone for @$39. Its much louder than the factory horn, and seems to fit well in the factory location with zero mod. 
Ricky Bobby

Offline fartymarty

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9712
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 01:32:40 pm »
Quote from: RoadKingX on the other forum
I just mounted a Stebel horn, but instead of mounting the whole horn, I separated the horn from the compressor.
The compressor is mounted under the right hand inner cover in front of the Rostra CC and the horn is mounted on the rear of the left front fork.
The horn is connected to the compressor by a length of plastic tube.
...here is where I got the original idea.
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/fz6-mods/343461-hidden-stebel-nautilus-horn-install.html
It's a bit of work to do but since space is a premium this gives you some options. Plus it gets the horn out from under the plastic.
I can detect no delay with the separated horn(the OEM horn is still operational) and it is LOUD!

Separating the compressor is a great idea for this horn!

I separated mine as well and mounted the compressor (as many others have) under the right side cover in front of my Rostra CC. Taking a note from Fred H.'s inner fairing install of his Gold Wing horns, I found that the Stebel Nautilus plastic horn fit well in roughly the same spot. It's just an experiment for now so pardon the shoddy work. When the inner cover is attached the foam compresses and the horn is fairly stable but not rigidly mounted. Accordingly (not pictured) I put some foam between the horn and the right front turn signal wires to protect them from the pipe fittings. I used 12 gauge wire straight from the battery (using an inline 30 amp fuse close to the battery connection) to the relay and left the original horn in the circuit. The horn seems to work fine so far, nice and loud. After a month or so I'll go back in and tiddy things up and may actually seal the horn opening better with some closed cell foam. If all goes well I think I'll get a Harbor Freight version of the Stebel Nautilus and install it on the other side.

[/quote]

Offline domo

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 02:48:19 pm »
Dual Fiams will shatter the windshield and slap any text-messaging idiot silly.  LASO turned me on to them years ago... don't ever have a friend listen to the FIAMS.

Offline wally_games

• Moped
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 04:39:14 pm »
I installed a "bad boy" horn from WOLO that i found at Autozone for @$39. Its much louder than the factory horn, and seems to fit well in the factory location with zero mod.

Is this a "plug and play" horn that can just be put in place of the stocker? I want some more volume, but not really wanting to do all that wiring, driling, etc. Is there an easy way to get improvement without all the hassle?

Offline flying wasp

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 12:21:32 am »
I installed the Stebel Nautilus over the weekend. Thought it would be louder than what it is. It is still leaps and bounds over the stock kazoo. Bought the horn and harness from Twisted Throttle and installed per their install. Under the right side top cover. I'll give it a B+
Life is hard. It's even harder if you are stupid! Ride safe. Be seen!

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9715
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 11:38:50 am »
I chucked the stock Meep-Meep horn in favor of the Strebel Nautilus. It was a bit of work, but it was more fun than hassle to install.  It was like a scene from American Chopper as I fabricated some parts.

The first think I did was separate the plastic horn part from the compressor.  I then cut off the lower part of the half ring that snaps onto the compressor (side towards the Horn vents), and mounted the remaining top half to the existing horn bracket.  This puts the horn in basically the same location as the stock, and requires no fairing cutting.  The horn is larger than the stock, but it clears the fender with shocks under compression, and the radiator.

I then ran a clear plastic hose (found at the hardware store) to the compressor.  I located the compressor under the right fairing cover by mounting to the bracket that holds the rubber heat guard.  The Relay is mounted to that same bracket.  Murph's horn wiring kit made it a cinch to install.  You just intercept the leads going to the stock horn to power the relay, and run the fused power lead back to the Battery. 

The sound of the horn is powerful-as in Mac Truck.  I like the fact that you can give a lower powered short hoot by tapping the button, or a full on "get out of my" way blast.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline trailer_parks

• Tricycle
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 11:31:40 am »

Is this a "plug and play" horn that can just be put in place of the stocker? I want some more volume, but not really wanting to do all that wiring, driling, etc. Is there an easy way to get improvement without all the hassle?

There really isn't any way to upgrade to a truly loud horn without running a relay for the power. Your stock horn button isn't intended to flow enough current to push a good horn. If you wired up an air horn without the relay, you'd burn out the horn switch in short order.

The wiring isn't very difficult, though. On my last bike, I just wired up a hot lead through a relay, with the horn switch wired to actuate the relay. I can't remember if I ran a separate wire back to the negative terminal or used a chassis ground, but all in all, a pretty simple wiring job, and well worth the effort.

Offline RideBellChain

• I ride because I can...
  • Street Cruiser
  • Nothing like a good sweeper on an empty road...
    • RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10039
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 09:37:41 pm »
Can someone please post pictures of their install of the Wolo/Nautilous horn on the 2012 model?  I'm just having a tough time trying to decide how/where to tap in and route the battery wire.  I'd really appreciate it.  :)

Thanks,
Mark
Ride Safe!
Mark
http://www.RideBellChain.com

Road Captain SCRC 456 - West Palm Beach, FL
ROK ROK100028857

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • COG#: 2170
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 01:36:42 pm »
I separated mine as well and mounted the compressor (as many others have) under the right side cover in front of my Rostra CC. Taking a note from Fred H.'s inner fairing install of his Gold Wing horns, I found that the Stebel Nautilus plastic horn fit well in roughly the same spot.

There is a huge unused cavity behind those inner panels (under the turn signal lamps) just begging to be used for something. On the 2010-2012 bikes, it's even bigger due to the redesign of the fairing.  It's a little more work to install them this way, but the FIAM Freeway Blasters will fit in there nicely.

Here is a view looking in above the fender at the left fork leg area.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 01:48:04 pm by Fred_Harmon_TX »
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com