Author Topic: 2012 C-14 winshield  (Read 400 times)

Offline Todd

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
2012 C-14 winshield
« on: April 15, 2018, 01:39:09 am »
Just wondering if you all have any advice for a windshield that is more scratch resistant than the stock windshield? I have been careful about cleaning the stock one but still have scratches. Thanks in advance!
2012 Concours 14
2014 vstrom 1000
2009 Electra Glide

Offline JDSCO

• Scooter
  • 2016 C14
  • COG#: 12593
Re: 2012 C-14 winshield
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 05:46:20 pm »
It's the "nature of the beast". The more I clean it just increases a chance of scratches I'll introduce to it.
I've never seen a windscreen, truthfully marketed as a "scratch-resistant" windscreen that is scratch-resistant.
I've never seen a plastic windscreen that's flawless except a new one.
Polycarbonate is pretty durable but scratches easily if not cared for.

RainX seems to fill my scratches well but my Go-To is Original Bike Spirits Cleaner/Polisher

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 05:56:29 pm by JDSCO »
"Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races!"
Jay Leno

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 06:59:48 pm »
Just wondering if you all have any advice for a windshield that is more scratch resistant than the stock windshield? I have been careful about cleaning the stock one but still have scratches. Thanks in advance!

I've found that Novus is great for retoring the original finish, as everything scratches sooner or later... inevitable...
https://www.novuspolish.com

Biggest mistake most people make is to use cleaners and polish with a paper towel... big mistake, even I can't say why it happens, but no matter wht brand you use, they all seem to create tyghose micro scratches...
I personally use microfiber hand towels, bought in bulk from an auto store, and prewash them all by hand with dishwashing soap, rinse well, and hang them to dry in a dust free area... then keep them clean in a ziplok bag for carry... and never use them on a dry or dirty windshield..
For cleaning I use a good quality dish soap, and cool water, in a tuperware bowl, and use enough detergent to creat a really frothy lather, and wash the windshield (make sure it isn't hot, do this in the shade, on a cool windshield) lathering it all up.. I let it sit for about 5 minutes, and rinse with cool water, lightly wiping it down with the microfiber I washed it with, rinsed free of soap, and let the plastic air dry, or wipe using a fresh pre cleaned dry microfiber towel.

I also find that soft, old, well worn tee shirts (without any artwork on them) turned inside out, can be as efficient and scratch free as a microfiber. I use them on my face shield, after washing with my fingers and dishsoap, and rinsing, to dry them.. seems to work for a longtime without scratches..

Many folks use Plexus, and other products, but the dish soap always seems to work for me...
Another benefit is if you wet our fingertips and shield with water, and place a dr of dishsoap on you fingers and wipe it on the inside surface, followed by buffing it off till dry with a tee shirt, it greatly resists fogging in cool wet weather...  downsde is, if you get caught in a torrential rain, and rain makes its way inside the shield, you may get a bit of soap in your eye from it.. but that's how I roll..

Best of luck

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Road Runner

• Mini Bike
  • Beep! Beep! ... yeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12399
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 12:30:03 am »

I've found that Novus is great for retoring the original finish, as everything scratches sooner or later... inevitable...
https://www.novuspolish.com

Biggest mistake most people make is to use cleaners and polish with a paper towel... big mistake, even I can't say why it happens, but no matter wht brand you use, they all seem to create tyghose micro scratches...
I personally use microfiber hand towels, bought in bulk from an auto store, and prewash them all by hand with dishwashing soap, rinse well, and hang them to dry in a dust free area... then keep them clean in a ziplok bag for carry... and never use them on a dry or dirty windshield..
For cleaning I use a good quality dish soap, and cool water, in a tuperware bowl, and use enough detergent to creat a really frothy lather, and wash the windshield (make sure it isn't hot, do this in the shade, on a cool windshield) lathering it all up.. I let it sit for about 5 minutes, and rinse with cool water, lightly wiping it down with the microfiber I washed it with, rinsed free of soap, and let the plastic air dry, or wipe using a fresh pre cleaned dry microfiber towel.

I also find that soft, old, well worn tee shirts (without any artwork on them) turned inside out, can be as efficient and scratch free as a microfiber. I use them on my face shield, after washing with my fingers and dishsoap, and rinsing, to dry them.. seems to work for a longtime without scratches..

Many folks use Plexus, and other products, but the dish soap always seems to work for me...
Another benefit is if you wet our fingertips and shield with water, and place a dr of dishsoap on you fingers and wipe it on the inside surface, followed by buffing it off till dry with a tee shirt, it greatly resists fogging in cool wet weather...  downsde is, if you get caught in a torrential rain, and rain makes its way inside the shield, you may get a bit of soap in your eye from it.. but that's how I roll..

Best of luck
+1 on everything MoB stated. I might also add that if you apply warm-to-hot water on the entire windshield before you ever put a microfiber towel on it will substantially ensure you don't cause any "micro" scratches from the dust/dirt it has collected. ... it also helps loosen up/remove the bugs too. I do this before I ever apply the soapy water and microfiber towels. But, that's just me and has worked. Even as MoB, nothing is fool-proof, that where the Novus will come in handy.
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline Vic

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 04:06:49 pm »
 I'm with Road Runner on this one. Best way to stop scratches before they begin: soften all that detrius and pollution with warm water. The hotter the better, and don't start too soon after. Let the heat do it's work on the dirt.

I also keep a bottle of diluted bike wash in the right saddle bag so it keeps a warmer temp on the solution. When I absolutely have to clean the windshield mid-ride, I can use this warmer solution to work on the windshield bugs. I try to save the major cleaning for home, with the hottest water possible.  Then polish up.

Offline Todd

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 10:55:14 pm »
Thanks for all the great advice. I think in my case I need to refrain from cleaning until I get home and let the windshield soak with a hot micro fiber. I will try some of the tricks mentioned to make the scratches that are already there less noticeable too. I always find the answers here! Thanks
2012 Concours 14
2014 vstrom 1000
2009 Electra Glide