Author Topic: 2015 C14 Windscreen  (Read 10901 times)

Offline sprintboy

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
2015 C14 Windscreen
« on: January 25, 2015, 11:06:18 pm »
Anyone know if the new C14 windscreen will fit on the previous years?  I assume it will since there didn't appear to be changes to the arms. I am also curious if the vent reduces buffeting as claimed...

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10640
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: 2015 C14 Windscreen
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 11:09:06 pm »
Yes, it will bolt right up.

Offline rmills944

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 12:40:58 am »
The one catch would be the trim. There are little trim pieces that look very different. The other question being is the flap assembly part of the window for the $265 price?

If it ain't fast and won't corner... Crome it.

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 01:19:07 am »
Parts diagram shows the windshield as individual parts. It also shows different part #s for the windshield assembly from 2014 to 2015 suggesting possible changes that would preclude a swap.

@gumby...do you know first hand they'll interchange? just curious.

2015 diagram... http://www.kawasaki.com/Parts/PartsDiagram/48317/2015/ZG1400EFF

Offline JC

• Moped
  • El Paso, TX USA
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 01:29:46 am »
If I had seen this thread yesterday, I'd have scrutinized the 2015 bike better. Saw one right out of the crate (damaged), which had no windscreen, and the mounting mechanism looked identical to the 2014. I could almost bet my house nothing changed this late in its model cycle except the windscreen itself, but could be wrong. Yes, you'd have to buy all the associated parts to do the swap. As a side comment, was pleasantly surprised the Connie comes fully assembled from the factory, except the windscreen and bags (in separate boxes). Oh, and a metal bracket threaded to the triple tree; that's all. Have a good one.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 06:48:01 pm by JC »
2015 Candy Lime Green Concours14
MODS: TBR black-series slip-on w/P1 insert, black/heavy Throttlemeister, Grip Puppies, FendaExtenda, radiator grille with fiberglass screening, billet black oil-filler/final-drive caps, CB MiniEuro tinted screen, LED city-lights/rear turn-signals/license-plate lights, no stickers, no reflectors, no badges.

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
  • COG#: 10640
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 01:55:19 am »
@gumby...do you know first hand they'll interchange? just curious.
At the Seattle IMS show the guys told me they were running older windscreens when they were out riding them so they would not scratch the new ones. Pretty sure that means they are a dire swap.

Offline rmills944

• Mini Bike
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 07:49:09 pm »
IT's a direct swap, but as we can see from the parts diagram there's probably 2 dozen parts you'd need. The figure I saw was $265 for the windhield. that didn't include anything else. I'll check it out as I'm intersted but I'm thinking it'll be well over $300 to do this. that's just unrealistic

IN looking at that diagram vs. the 2014 here's what I see
2014:
http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/kaw/52bc4e60f8700204783348fc/windshield
common parts: Windshield mechanism/motor, brakets on each side of the window, and a screw or 2.

This means you need all new screws, flap mechanism (about 10 pieces with screws), trim pieces (about 9 pieces), window, about 20 little bolts and washers. The best bet would be finding a used 2015 that someone switched out and that may be a while to find.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:47:32 pm by rmills944 »

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 06:54:32 am »
I bet by the time you get all the parts necessary, you are well into the $450 range. Rider mag says it doesn't provide any more wind coverage than the stock one on the pre-2015 bikes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline rodgard

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11429
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 10:20:27 pm »
Why not then just go with a CalSci, which has a vent, for abt $200 bucks?
Ride Well
Rodney
COG # 11429
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 - black of course!
1995 Ducati Monster 900

Offline JC

• Moped
  • El Paso, TX USA
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 07:24:18 pm »
The best bet would be finding a used 2015 that someone switched out and that may be a while to find.
I might selll mine as soon as I get the new CopperDawg sport screen, but the better question is how much to ask ;D.
MODS: TBR black-series slip-on w/P1 insert, black/heavy Throttlemeister, Grip Puppies, FendaExtenda, radiator grille with fiberglass screening, billet black oil-filler/final-drive caps, CB MiniEuro tinted screen, LED city-lights/rear turn-signals/license-plate lights, no stickers, no reflectors, no badges.

Offline JimH_PA

• Scooter
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 08:17:41 pm »
  Glad you finally got it worked out.  About the screen,  how about putting it out with the try a windshield for free so we can see if it works as advertised?  Just a thought......
Jim 2010 (fastest color)Concours ABS
94 Vmax Had for 17 years!
CX 650C,V45 Magna,CX 500C,KZ1000
GPZ550  1982 before they were Ninja's

Offline rmills944

• Mini Bike
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 08:30:15 pm »
The best bet would be finding a used 2015 that someone switched out and that may be a while to find.
I might selll mine as soon as I get the new CopperDawg sport screen, but the better question is how much to ask ;D.

The dealer price won't ever be had. The problem is as everyone stated you can get another windshield for less than $250. You MIGHT be able to get that if someone really wanted it.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 03:20:07 pm »
I have to say that my CalSci XL Wide has no wind turbulence except over the top of it when all the way down. Which is to be expected. And it has a vent. Can't open and close it like the 2015 OEM windscreen though. That's pretty cool.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Wyorider

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 10331
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 11:43:18 pm »
$700 for the assembly......500 is dealer cost!!!!! :beerchug:

Offline RideBellChain

• I ride because I can...
  • Street Cruiser
  • Nothing like a good sweeper on an empty road...
    • RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
  • COG#: 10039
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 09:15:19 pm »
It's an ugly shield, in my opinion...too bulky looking.

I went with Copperdawg myself, after trying it out a few weeks back.  Waiting for the weather up in central FL to warm up a bit so Pat can paint it, hopefully that happened yesterday or today because it's warm down South in Palm Beach County today.

Can't wait for the wind noise to go away!!!  The buffeting over the top on my VStream and stock OEM is making me deaf.  Unless the actual angle of the new OEM screen changes, there will still be turbulence over the top, and for that price there's so many better choices.
Ride Safe!
Mark
http://www.RideBellChain.com

Road Captain SCRC 456 - West Palm Beach, FL
ROK ROK100028857

Offline JC

• Moped
  • El Paso, TX USA
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 10:51:17 pm »
It's an ugly shield, in my opinion...too bulky looking.
Hey, you're going to insult some sensitive guys here with that :D (don't ask me how I know). Well, now I own a freaking 2015, and can legitimately say I fully agree with you ;D. And can also say the green is ugly because got one of those too :nananana:... but at least it's different, and most importantly for my wife, very visible (but I still ride like I'm invisible). Anyway, wanted to expand on the 'buffeting' vs 'noise' issue. I'm sick and tired of both too, and also ordered a CoppeDawg, but due to the stupid green being the first time in a Connie, he's taking his time making sure the color will be right (a good thing)... but it's going to take a lot longer, unfortunately. On my way back home from the dealer (35 miles), I experience no buffeting at speeds up to 90 (screen all the way down, and vent closed), but it was still too noisy for me, even with earplugs. Both are caused by turbulence, but buffeting is a kind of turbulence that shakes your head in a way you develop a headache in short order. And it's extremely fatiguing. Excessive noise comes from turbulence UNDER the helmet, and gets to your ears that way. But it causes no buffeting. And yes, you can have both, which is usually the case with some stock screens... but at more elevated speeds. With a low enough screen like on sport bikes, or the CopperDawg for our Connies, you eliminate both. And I MUCH prefer clean wind in my upper body even in winter. Finally, you can get rid of most of the excessive noise with a constricting helmet (like Schuberth), but I feel like I have my head in a sauna. Or with a helmet 'scarf', which I have, but causes immediate fogging if you don't have the helmet chin vents open, and wind hitting your helmet. Curious to hear your comments on the CopperDawg since you're going to get your first. And if somebody wants a brand-new 2015 screen with all the parts (I'll have to spend $60 to buy 2014 parts to fit the CopperDawg), it's yous for a paltry $400 + shipping ;D.

Offline RideBellChain

• I ride because I can...
  • Street Cruiser
  • Nothing like a good sweeper on an empty road...
    • RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
  • COG#: 10039
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 03:26:28 am »
LOVE the green!  Your wife has great taste...even thought I have a black one, had green been available...yep! I keep thinking that it would be cool to make a 2-tone bike.  I'd like to put the green middlle fairing on and see how that looked, along with subtle green pinstripe like the 2015 black one has.

I agree that visibility is important, and have a bright green Joe Rocket jacket...I also added lots of extra lighting.  I want to be seen!

If the windscreen gets rid of the vacuum (which is will with the vent) and the turbulence (??) then it's great. I actually had a full-dresser that I put a Goldwing vent into the windshield and it was great.
Ride Safe!
Mark
http://www.RideBellChain.com

Road Captain SCRC 456 - West Palm Beach, FL
ROK ROK100028857

Offline Ironjack

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 11848
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 04:09:57 am »
JR, I too went to a CalSci windshield - I have the CalSci large, and it is way better than stock. I kind of vetoed the wide as I thought it might interfere with the handle bars on a complete lock to lock turn.
2014 Concours 14
1981 BMW R100RT (restored by me)

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 06:10:48 pm »
JR, I too went to a CalSci windshield - I have the CalSci large, and it is way better than stock. I kind of vetoed the wide as I thought it might interfere with the handle bars on a complete lock to lock turn.

Naw, it doesn't get close to blocking the handlebars at any point.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 01:04:17 am »
As a 2015 owner, I think the mail-slot was a good feature. I have not been at 70MPH highway speeds yet, but on 45-50mph roads I opened it and immediately noticed less wind buffeting.

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2015, 05:45:32 pm »
"I have not been at 70MPH highway speeds yet"

Patience is a virtue? :o Delayed gratification? :o You live next door to the dealer and bought it this morning? :o  - just kidding around

"And I MUCH prefer clean wind in my upper body even in winter"

As soon as I see a CopperDawg in person I think I'll be looking for the money to buy one! The nostrils are off-putting in pics - but I'm sure in real life I will love it. 'Even in winter' is tough stuff - but we generally have good gear on and a windshield is still a windshield - some have none. Looks at the very least like a great summer screen. I can cut the stocker all i want but I can't achieve that angle.

1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2015, 09:35:52 pm »
HA! SMART-a**. :nananana:

I've been BUSY DANGIT.  I have a life.  So far all I have done is ride it HOME from the dealer!

Tuesday I go back for the accessories to be installed, does that count?

And yes, I dont have to hit 45 MPH, so I am pretty  close to next-door.

"I have not been at 70MPH highway speeds yet"

Patience is a virtue? :o Delayed gratification? :o You live next door to the dealer and bought it this morning? :o  - just kidding around

"And I MUCH prefer clean wind in my upper body even in winter"

As soon as I see a CopperDawg in person I think I'll be looking for the money to buy one! The nostrils are off-putting in pics - but I'm sure in real life I will love it. 'Even in winter' is tough stuff - but we generally have good gear on and a windshield is still a windshield - some have none. Looks at the very least like a great summer screen. I can cut the stocker all i want but I can't achieve that angle.

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2015, 10:28:00 pm »
Hey, you gotta work hard to be lucky. Lucky enough to have a new bike. A Connie!

:beerchug:

It will do amazing things in 1st gear - then there are five more, just fyi :D

:great: :motonoises:

I think many of us look forward to more reports on the new screen. I'll cut the crap:-)
1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2015, 10:31:02 pm »

I have at least 2-3 weeks before my hugger comes in and the radiator guard.  Not going to do much highway until I get those in/on.

Hey, you gotta work hard to be lucky. Lucky enough to have a new bike. A Connie!

:beerchug:

It will do amazing things in 1st gear - then there are five more, just fyi :D

:great: :motonoises:

I think many of us look forward to more reports on the new screen. I'll cut the crap:-)

Offline JC

• Moped
  • El Paso, TX USA
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2015, 04:29:17 am »
I have at least 2-3 weeks before my hugger comes in and the radiator guard.  Not going to do much highway until I get those in/on.
Same here. But my wait will be longer than that. Oh well. All I can say is up to 90 mph, I don't feel my screen is any worse or better than previous bikes. Most stock screens are turbulent right around my neck, where the noise is amplified. Hence the CopperDawg solution. Yeah, might not be the prettiest screen, but looks aggressive, fully integrated, body-colored, and will do exactly what I want. And still can raise it if necessary.