Author Topic: A little buzzy after Area P Slip on  (Read 533 times)

Offline TJ

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
A little buzzy after Area P Slip on
« on: September 30, 2018, 10:31:20 pm »
I just installed my Area P slip on and did an initial 100 mile test ride. The bike was butter smooth prior to installing the Area P slip on. I have the mountain runner ECU flash.

I noticed almost immediately that the bike seemed a bit buzzy with the Area P. I don't see any part of the exhaust making contact anywhere except the rubber stop on the center stand.

Strange....perhaps it might be running a touch leaner now with the Are P, which might be the cause? If so will the ECU "learn"

Love the looks of the Area P, but this may be coming off the bike and putting the stock can back on.   

Offline khager01

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
Re: A little buzzy after Area P Slip on
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 03:22:08 pm »
I'll be anxiously watching this thread, same thing happened to me, bike was butter smooth as you say, installed a Delkevic slip on and now I have vibrations or more like buzzing starting at 4K but more pronounced at 5K rpms.  For one thing stock exhaust is a lot heavier 15 lbs worth and has an extra attachment point in the mid pipe that the Delkevic lacks.  Also I removed the baffle before installing so I never tried running it with the baffle in but honestly I don't think that has anything to do with it.  I love the looks and the sound of the Delkevic so needless to say the vibes aren't going to make me want to reinstall the stock exhaust.  It is slightly annoying when running through the rev range and I feel it more thru the footpegs than thru the hands, but I can't feel it at cruising speeds on the highway 3500 rpms.  If I cruise at 5K in top gear for too long I am probably going to jail!👮
2017 Concours 14
2012 V-Strom 650

Offline Gsled

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12448
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 06:22:00 pm »
 As long as that's the only thing that was done to your bike then it definitely is pipe related. Go back and loosen all the clamps and mounting points to see if anything is in a bind. Check the mid-pipe mount to see if the rubber mount is in correctly, make necessary adjustments and retighten then test ride.

Offline TJ

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 12:27:18 am »
I'll be anxiously watching this thread, same thing happened to me, bike was butter smooth as you say, installed a Delkevic slip on and now I have vibrations or more like buzzing starting at 4K but more pronounced at 5K rpms.  For one thing stock exhaust is a lot heavier 15 lbs worth and has an extra attachment point in the mid pipe that the Delkevic lacks.  Also I removed the baffle before installing so I never tried running it with the baffle in but honestly I don't think that has anything to do with it.  I love the looks and the sound of the Delkevic so needless to say the vibes aren't going to make me want to reinstall the stock exhaust.  It is slightly annoying when running through the rev range and I feel it more thru the footpegs than thru the hands, but I can't feel it at cruising speeds on the highway 3500 rpms.  If I cruise at 5K in top gear for too long I am probably going to jail!👮

Good to know it isn't just me that has noticed this. Losing an attachment point in the mid pipe is what I suspect as being the culprit.

Offline khager01

• Bicycle
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 01:27:36 pm »
Good to know it isn't just me that has noticed this. Losing an attachment point in the mid pipe is what I suspect as being the culprit.

That's what I am thinking too.  They welded a bracket on for the centerstand stop,  why couldn't they have welded one on to attach the mid-pipe to the frame?   I don't think anybody makes an aftermarket slip-on with that attachment point, but it is a simple angled bracket with a hole in it that is welded to the stock exhaust.  I am sure a good welder could take the bracket off and weld it to the mid-pipe of the slip-on maybe.  Either that or make a bracket to weld on, the location of it,  would make it hard to see if you did an ugly job. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 01:31:57 pm by khager01 »
2017 Concours 14
2012 V-Strom 650

Offline TJ

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 02:16:58 pm »

That's what I am thinking too.  They welded a bracket on for the centerstand stop,  why couldn't they have welded one on to attach the mid-pipe to the frame?   I don't think anybody makes an aftermarket slip-on with that attachment point, but it is a simple angled bracket with a hole in it that is welded to the stock exhaust.  I am sure a good welder could take the bracket off and weld it to the mid-pipe of the slip-on maybe.  Either that or make a bracket to weld on, the location of it,  would make it hard to see if you did an ugly job.

Might be worth a try to take it to an exhaust shop that does some custom work and have them make and weld a bracket up. 

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 04:44:32 pm »
My Area P has a brace welded on it, that the center-stand rest's against that brace.
You have to install the original rubber {center stand} stop in the hole on the brace.
   Did you install that rubber stop?

I'm not familiar with the Delkevic so can't say if it has the stop brace or not..
If no, the CS may be resting against your rear shock, rocker, or other.
Look for that contact area and install a rubber damper..

Here is a simple rubber vibration damper from a simple mind. 
          Locate the point the center stand hits the brace/suspension/other.
            {Compress the suspension to see if that position chnages}...
          Secure the center stand down so that it is not in contact with that point...
            ie; put the bike on the center stand..
           Clean the contact area, and put a "blob" {technical term} of silicone rubber on the contact location and let it dry.
             That blob will dampen the vibrations and last for years...

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline JDSCO

• Road Bike
  • 2016 C14
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 07:22:46 pm »
I installed a Delkevic 18" Oval 20k miles ago
It has a welded brace on the mid-pipe for the centerstand contact point when retracted
That brace has a rubber contact, for the centerstand, that came with the Delkevic
The Delkevis attaches at the collector and the can, no mid-point attach needed
I've never experienced any "buzz" or "vibration"
"Everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the mouth"
Mike Tyson

Offline khager01

• Bicycle
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 09:16:15 pm »
Mine is the 18" CF oval also.  Yes it has the rubber stopper on it and it is oriented correctly!  I still must be doing something wrong!
2017 Concours 14
2012 V-Strom 650

Offline JDSCO

• Road Bike
  • 2016 C14
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 10:09:13 pm »
Maybe this is helpful

I'm just trying to be helpful

I trial fit to see if I'm close, of course

I "ring" the midpipe to collector so  the midpipe is same centerline to the collector before I snug that clamp
I "ring" the can to the midpipe so the can is on same centerline to the midpipe before I snug that clamp with the goo Delkevic supplies
My clamp is at forward extent of the can to midpipe
Wherever that can likes to live, where it hangs, is pretty much how I shape the can-band clamp to fit without contorting anything
Snug the can-band to the frame
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 10:12:35 pm by JDSCO »
Mike Tyson

Offline khager01

• Bicycle
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 12:51:23 am »
The only difference I can see is my clamp is much further aft, maybe I will try moving it forward. 
2017 Concours 14
2012 V-Strom 650

Offline Lee Ving

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 12:40:43 am »
You might investigate a flash that is tuned for the slip on. Tune could contribute.
 Consider also that there is a whole lot less mass down there with the Area P, and less mounting points than stock. Mechanically there is less mass to  damp the vibes that might have been there all along.

Offline Clip67

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 08:45:02 pm »
Interesting. I'm actually having the same problem after mounting a 14" CF Delkevic slip on... The pipe is hanging where it seemed to settle in at, and the rubber stopper is correctly oriented to meet the center stand.

I had the ECU flash done and rode it with the stock pipe. Vibrations were cut in half over what they were when stock, and the ECU was programmed for a slip on pipe, so I know it is not the re-flash...

Any thoughts? Also curious to know what everyone did with the used attachment point bolt and rubber grommet piece? I left mine in and added two washers to take up the slack...

I guess I can try loosening the entire set up and try the process again....

Offline JDSCO

• Road Bike
  • 2016 C14
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 09:32:59 pm »
Also curious to know what everyone did with the used attachment point bolt and rubber grommet piece? I left mine in and added two washers to take up the slack...

I removed all of "that" hardware, resulting in the 20mm through-hole where the grommet was.
Lighter.
Grams are grams.

I wish I knew what several of you identify as "buzzing"
I installed my Delkevic weeks after I took delivery on a new C14. It was the first thing I did. It was 8 months until I did a MR Flash. There was no notable difference before or after with regard to exhaust vibration/buzz. There was none. I don't correlate ecu flash with what's being discussed.

I can provide any install pics if it would be helpful.
Mike Tyson

Offline Clip67

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 03:13:15 am »
I'm curious to see if anyone got any positive changes with this...

I ended up with a very significant reduction in the vibes by loosening all of the mounts and simply retightening the assembly.

I did notice that it was fairly easy to "twist" the hanger around the can when tightening if not being careful to keep things aligned. The second time around I paid closer attention to this... I'm assuming this was a source of vibration as the felt vibes are now greatly reduced...

:)