Author Topic: ADVmonster 30 LEDs  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Doc

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12697
  • Membership Level: Active
ADVmonster 30 LEDs
« on: December 23, 2017, 11:11:29 pm »
Hi all - any mounting tips or suggestions for the 30s?  Thanks.

Offline bowtie39

• Road Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10014
Re: ADVmonster 30 LEDs
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 11:20:35 pm »
If you want them at the fender.....Denali makes a nice set of brackets for the C14
'16 Moondust Gray

Offline Gscott

• Bicycle
  • 09 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12413
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 01:10:01 pm »
Put mine under the mirrors with PCA brackets. 

Offline Sgt Mac

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12087
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 02:13:41 pm »
Mounted mine under the mirrors as well, used the little brackets that came with them. Have a flood on the right to light up more of the side of the road and a spot on the left.
Charlie

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 04:54:41 pm »
Do you have any tip-over bars of Top-Kick?
If you do, mount them on these, low, and as far apart as possible. Make the "Light Triangle" as large as possible so people will see you better. I know, we have dual headlights, so it's not really a triangle, but it gets the point across.
Here's the front view with them mounted in the Top-Kick bars. I've since upgraded to LED headlight and city lights, and looks better with all the same color.
Regardless of where you mount them, I believe you will be safer.

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 01:37:36 pm »
While I won't dissuade you from mounting those lights up higher on the bike, here's an alternative to a lower mount point utilizing the OEM reflector brackets.
Some say these brackets have broken under the weight (and vibration) of aux. lights, and recommend not using them in favor of other positions.  I mounted my MM10 lights here for over a year, and hadn't noticed any undue wear or stress on the brackets themselves.

However - I decided to move them higher on the fender using a longer bolt and washer stack for the main fender bolt, but got a little judicious with a lock washer and too much torque, and cracked my front fender -- BADLY.
Since I couldn't get enough tq. on that bolt to keep the light from moving around, I decided to go back to the reflector brackets, as they are a far more secure and stable mounting point, imho.

I had some carbon fibre mat, and repaired the fender from the inside to prevent further cracking (although it looks ghetto on the outside) and decided to reinforce the OEM brackets with the carbon fibre mat and epoxy.
It didn't turn out "pretty", but it was quite difficult to graft the CF to those brackets.  Needless to say, I'm confident now, those brackets will not crack or snap under the weight and stress of the MM10's now mounted there.

Eventually, I'll be mounting a larger set of LED Floods under the mirrors using the PCA pucks.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 01:43:15 pm by ghostrider990 »
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...