Author Topic: aftermarket seats  (Read 1556 times)

Offline scooter

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10551
  • Membership Level: Active
aftermarket seats
« on: November 15, 2012, 02:11:39 am »
been looking at some after market seats,think its between corbin and baldwin,realy like the corbin smuggler set up the best anybody have either of these that can give me any input on quality and performance? pics would be great too thanks
southern utah
2011 silver concours

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9735
Re: aftermarket seats
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 03:04:15 am »
Yep, have it and love it!  :great:

« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 03:06:00 am by ZG »
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline scooter

• Scooter
  • COG#: 10551
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 03:09:55 am »
love the smuggler corbin claims it comes ready to install,there web site shows how the front seat attaches but how does the rear smuggler attach? is it as bolt on as they say? there tellin me its a month out to get one as there built to order.not a big deal ,got plenty of time its winter here so time too farkle,can you fit much in it? there a little pricey but its worth it if it works thanks for the pics.
southern utah
2011 silver concours

Offline NuckaMan

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 03:23:56 am »
I've got the Sargent Modular System Version.

While I like the seat itself (I prefer a firm seat and it's pretty flat), the quality of the seat pan and the modular pod could be better. The seat pan plastic and storage pod has a cheap feel to it.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 03:52:08 am »
love the smuggler corbin claims it comes ready to install,there web site shows how the front seat attaches but how does the rear smuggler attach? is it as bolt on as they say? there tellin me its a month out to get one as there built to order.not a big deal ,got plenty of time its winter here so time too farkle,can you fit much in it? there a little pricey but its worth it if it works thanks for the pics.

Yep, the rear smuggler trunk (or rear seat) takes litterally seconds to take off.

3 to 4 weeks leadtime is pretty standard with them.

Yes they are totally worth the $ IMO, spend the extra $ for the heated option, I was on the fence about it but decided to do it and am so glad I did, it's like heated grips, never knew I needed em until I had em, will never go back now...  :great:

Offline notsluggo

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10187
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 04:51:24 am »
Took my stock seat to a local custom seat place.
They can do heat, or gel pads, or custom fit your seat to you.
All for less than an after-market seat.
Look in your area - or look up Bitchn Stitchn in Lakewood, co.
Ride safe(r).
- notsluggo
2011 Concours 14 - The Silver Bullet!
2014 KLR650 - Kelly
Parker, CO

Offline nando

• Transport C-14
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10454
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 05:52:30 am »
ZG,

Everytime I see your dual exhaust I drool all over myself. If I could use those pipes without having to get a commander, re-tuning, and bla, bla I would get a set. I don't think they will work well with stock setting though.

I come off a bad experience with aftermarket seats. I tried all the aftermarket seats ever mentioned under the Earth on my RT and the result was: The comfort ones make sit really high, cause they have a lot of material thus comfortable. The low models on all the brands are hard as a wooden chair. I 'll never spend a nickel on an aftermarket seat again.

The C14 has the most comfy stock seat I have ever used.

Be that said, If I had to chose a seat I would go with ZG's Corbin. I think they make the best seat in the market. Of all the seats I ever used, Corbin make the most sense for a motoring butt.

My beef is that, any one can make a comfy seat if you put 5 inches of stuff in it. I could use a couple of my pillows and seat comfortably on my bike. But then, I am 3 inches higher. Such is the case of the Sargent and the Russel DayLong. If you get their low version, you better wear foam underwear. And if you sit up straight cruiser style, even worse.

...gonna stick with stock seat.
I am voting for anyone who wasn't there during the government shut-down.

Offline Necron99

• Crotch Rocket
  • rise again....
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9384
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 01:00:32 pm »
I've owned a bunch of Corbin seats on various bikes.  The concours corbin is the first I hated.  I HIGHLY recommend sitting on someone's corbin seat before buying one.  It's REALLY not the seat for everyone.  Bigger (wider butt) people especially... And I'm not huge, and PhilipinTexas isn't big at all either.  He owns one and it makes him miserable on longer trips.  Just saying.  I love my Baldwin and I love my Russell Day Long.

Offline ProfessorKonk

• Street Cruiser
  • Best. Bike. Ever.
    • Hilson Creative LLC
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9466
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 02:10:14 pm »
My custom Baldwin and my a** are very happy together. 10.5 hours in the saddle at the Fall Foliage Rally, no butt pain, plenty of coccyx-comforting heat, great looks... win win win.
So many farkles, so little time.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 04:21:53 pm »
ZG,

Everytime I see your dual exhaust I drool all over myself.

:) Thanks bro!  :beerchug:

Offline klrider

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1887
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 05:49:32 pm »
I LOVE my Baldwin leather saddle on my Tiger 800 XC. Black, with "rust" stitching to pick up the intense orange colour.

First ride I didn't even move until the 180 mile gas stop; did 692 miles on that day.  :))  Went on for 4200 + miles for that trip, definitely a keeper! Makes this great bike a very nice LD machine.  :great:

The Skidmore's leather cream and waterproofing he sells works very well but smells a bit funky. So I did my gloves with it, too.  ;D
Pat  COG 1887 
IBA 5830  AMA LIFE  NRA LIFE  VSSA LIFE VCDL NTA FTA VTA, DRZ-400SM K9, YAMMIE KODIAK