Author Topic: Airhawk R  (Read 2135 times)

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9735
  • Membership Level: Active
Airhawk R
« on: April 12, 2015, 10:16:00 pm »
Bought me an Airhawk R in preparation for the journey to the Nat in June, tested it out today on a long HWY ride, yep I think this is gonna give me some more comfy miles indeed!  :great: :beerchug:

BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Airhawk R
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 10:23:52 pm »
It took me a while to adjust it properly and like it. The key is to put in just enought air, which really isn't a whole lot. I just used it for a 1000 plus mile 3 day trip and it was great. More miles with smiles. No discomfort at all, and I still have the stock saddle.

It's also great for long cage trips and sitting on the front porch rocking chair and drinking a beer. Lots of uses.  :beerchug:
Silver 2011 C-14 and 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+.  Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Hiddenmickey

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12234
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 10:32:31 pm »
Why do you need that with the Corbin seat?  I'm just curious, as I only have about 800 miles on my new Corbin, and it feels like it is still breaking in.  I did a 100 mile ride on it and it was comphy all the way.  I do realize you are going to be riding a lot farther than that, but that's the longest trip I've had on the bike so far.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 10:38:38 pm »
Why do you need that with the Corbin seat?  I'm just curious, as I only have about 800 miles on my new Corbin, and it feels like it is still breaking in.  I did a 100 mile ride on it and it was comphy all the way.  I do realize you are going to be riding a lot farther than that, but that's the longest trip I've had on the bike so far.

Not needed for short rides HM, but for longer rides over many days like going to the Nat in June I wanted some extra comfy fer my arse...  ;) :) :beerchug:

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 10:42:14 pm »
It took me a while to adjust it properly and like it. The key is to put in just enought air, which really isn't a whole lot. I just used it for a 1000 plus mile 3 day trip and it was great. More miles with smiles. No discomfort at all, and I still have the stock saddle.

It's also great for long cage trips and sitting on the front porch rocking chair and drinking a beer. Lots of uses.  :beerchug:

Very true 4B, very little air at all seems to feel the best for me so far in my testing, just enough to barely even lift the points by a mm that are taking the majority of the weight on the seat and then it fills all the other gaps to make it feel like everything is touching, if that makes any sense... 
 ???

Online gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 11:03:15 pm »
With so little air does it change the seat to ground height?

Offline ghostrider990

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 11:09:51 pm »
I bought one of these for my 4k trip last fall.
Turned out, I never used it or even needed it.  My russel seat was more than enough to keep me from
getting a numb a** even on 500+ mile days.

My biggest reason for not using the airhawk (other than not needing it) was that I didn't want to be in a
higher seating position than I already was.
I'm 6'1", but even with the seat AND one of the tallest widest screen I can buy, I still feel like I need a lower seating
position in the saddle to stay out of the windstream.

I'm sure it'd be hella comfy, and I wish i could have kept it....who doesn't want a softer saddle???

gr
My Horns have Horns.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 11:20:43 pm »
With so little air does it change the seat to ground height?

Very ever so slightly GP, not much at all but I guess a tad bit... I'm running a 55 rear now but am going back to a 50 rear next month for my tires for the trip, so that should counter act any extra height IMO... And I'm only planning on running it for the slab days there and back, while there I'll pull it off most likely.

;)  :)

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director (Past)
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9932
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 11:24:58 pm »
Wait. Hold on just one damn second. Stop the train and back up the bus beep beep beep. Jay man, I need a definition of long day in the saddle.  :)) :)) :))
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby. Still in it to Win it.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 11:26:56 pm »
Wait. Hold on just one damn second. Stop the train and back up the bus beep beep beep. Jay man, I need a definition of long day in the saddle.  :)) :)) :))

500's about my max OMC...  :( :truce:

Then it's time to grab a hotel and drink!  ;D :beerchug:

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 12:10:48 am »
Nothing like a happy A$$  :celebrate:
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director (Past)
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9932
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 12:14:23 am »

Respectable Bud. Gumby told me you don't run more than 100 at a time.  :beerchug: :)
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby. Still in it to Win it.

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 12:23:47 am »
because of my airhawk R i was able to do 900+ days on knobbies and stock KLR seat

Of course its usually on my C14 when i do 1100+ miles days.....

KiPass!

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 01:20:14 am »

Respectable Bud. Gumby told me you don't run more than 100 at a time.  :beerchug: :)

He can barely remember his name some times, let alone how many miles I ride...  ;) :)         ;D :beerchug: