Author Topic: Anyone using a driver's backrest?  (Read 781 times)

Offline Jacquelyn

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Anyone using a driver's backrest?
« on: January 09, 2019, 12:16:40 am »
Having a Russel seat built, and was curious if anyone hear has a driver's backrest. If so, can you share any ergo related mods such as bar risers, seat type, etc and how you like the backrest? I have an operated back and was thinking this might be a useful feature. 

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Anyone using a driver's backrest?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 07:23:26 pm »
So yes I have made a couple driver back rests and also had a Russel DL with driver back rest option.  I play drum, ride a bike, do volleyball and all kinds of bad things to my back.  I found proper support helps extend my day.  I go from about 500 mikes to over 800 in the same conditions. 

The reason I am NOT using it anymore...  1. I sold the c10 and the RDL seat with it.  2.  After taking a long trip my back, hip and leg hurt for 3 months.  Seems my lowest disk(60yo) is pushing on the nerve on one side.   This is why I say PROPER setup. 

My trip the back rest was too soft.  I started to slump when tired.  If the back rest is firm your back feels better but there is a higher chance it will hurt YOU in an accident.  The best answer is of course the hardest to swallow.  Build your core strength to the point it will properly support your back for the distances you go.   

PS:Still I loved it when I added my backrest to the C10 that cost me $12 in walmart parts.   I actually used it most, for about two years.  One blue camp pad split long ways, rolled in two rolls and put into a stuff sack.  The rolls and sack bungied to the passenger grab rails.  The trunk held it in place in the aft.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Jacquelyn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 12:09:54 am »
Great reply! Thanks!

Offline CaffeineMan

• Road Bike
  • In the shadow of the Valley of Death
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 7763
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 07:55:44 pm »
Yes, thanks for the reply.

I risk getting back spasms if I ride more than 500 miles in a day on my C10, or too many days in a row, even with my Russell.  I have a C14 now and am considering seat options and was wondering about a back rest.  I have no disc or spine issues, I'm just an out of shape middle aged person.  In my case your advice is probably right:  get in shape rather than getting a back rest.   :(

I will be getting a custom seat at some point, however.
"You put antiseize on those, right?"
17 C-14 Candy Imperial Blue ("Baby Blue")
01 C-10 Sonic Blue ("Old Blue") - Decommissioned, in storage.

Offline Jacquelyn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 04:50:05 pm »
Yes, thanks for the reply.

I risk getting back spasms if I ride more than 500 miles in a day on my C10, or too many days in a row, even with my Russell.  I have a C14 now and am considering seat options and was wondering about a back rest.  I have no disc or spine issues, I'm just an out of shape middle aged person.  In my case your advice is probably right:  get in shape rather than getting a back rest.   :(

I will be getting a custom seat at some point, however.

Amazing how much physical conditioning can contribute toward comfort and capacity to ride longer distances. That's part of the reason I'm still a gym rat at 51.

Offline Always Dirty C14

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: 12787
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 03:15:28 am »
I use a Back-A-Line support belt and have found it to help a lot. It's more than an old school kidney belt. It's more like the lumbar adjustment in your car, but you wear it instead of it being part of the seat. It has bulges on the surface that kind of force you to sit with a straighter lower back, if that makes sense. I bought mine several years ago. I just went to their web-site and now see that they offer something marketed specifically for M/C use. I do not have that one. The one they label as their Sport Brace looks most like the one I have. It works for me anyway. 

Offline SilverConnieRider

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11953
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 05:18:15 pm »
Yes