Author Topic: AST Highway Pegs  (Read 9710 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
AST Highway Pegs
« on: July 16, 2013, 02:31:02 pm »
I've only had the connie since May. I gotta admit, I was a little scared, but isn't everyone a bit terrified on their first time? All this started while doing the install of the new AST highway pegs. Part of the install requires the removal of the engine bolts and install a brace. Getting the bolt out wasn't too bad, but getting it back in seemed impossible. After a couple of hours banging my head against the wall I reluctantly removed the first piece of fairing.

The next thing I knew I was surrounded by plastic. The rest of the install went great. That is I till I began tightening the engine bolts back down to 44ft lbs. I stripped the threads out of the right side hole at about 40 ft lbs.

I was a bit nervous at first, but I got it all back together with no extra parts left over. BTW the pegs look/work great. If you have a gen1 c14 save yourself the time and just plan on stripping her down. Maybe someone else could get it done w/out plastic being removed but I couldn't get it done.

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
  • COG#: 10640
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: AST Highway Pegs
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 03:16:52 pm »

Offline Kenny

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 02:47:32 am »

Offline Hawkeye

• Tricycle
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 02:43:40 pm »
AHHH. You bastards.  :-[ I thought I might get that. Okay, here are a few pics.

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 03:43:11 pm »
You are going to wish you spent a bit more money and put hwy pegs on a set of Canyon Cages.  :-[

Offline Hawkeye

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 03:52:42 pm »
I considered the cages. I just couldn't bring myself to have these big ugly black bars surrounding the blue. I wanted to keep the clean look. I think I got that. I only have about 200 miles with the pegs on, but they do provide the ability to occasionally stretch out, which is all I really needed.

Offline PaleRider

• Street Cruiser
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 04:04:27 pm »
Hawkeye
The Canyon Cages are not near so ugly in real life. The picture don't help them out.
I went with the top block for that very reason.
Have Owned 2004 Honda VFR, 2004 Honda ST1300, 2000 Triumph Sprint ST.
Now 2012 ZG1400 in Pearl Arabian Red

Offline Zarticus

• Crotch Rocket
  • Fanboy, Sludge wearer, Proud Rotella user !
  • COG#: 10785
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 05:29:33 pm »
The canyon cages are great for protection & are a good place to mount pegs but they are not as comfortable as the AST Highway Pegs.  :motonoises:
2012 Kawasaki Concours, Arabian Red
1986 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1983 Honda V45 Sabre, Red

Offline X-UFO

• Bicycle
  • Just Ride
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11101
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 07:59:08 pm »
The canyon cages are great for protection & are a good place to mount pegs but they are not as comfortable as the AST Highway Pegs.  :motonoises:

How do you measure the comfort factor?  Lenth of the peg? Location of the pegs?  I just ordered pegs and the canyon cages, I don't understand the comment.  Thanks.

ps.  Pegs I ordered:

http://www.advdesigns.com/pralhipebl.html

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:16:02 pm by X-UFO »
2012 black Concours with two brothers Carbin black series slip on, LED Kit, Garnin GPS... And 1994 Honda CBR 1000F since New, Long Gone: 1984 Honda VFR 750 Intercepter, and yamaha DT-360 (two-stroke)  on/off.

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 08:21:23 pm »
How do you measure the comfort factor?  Length of the peg? Location of the pegs?

:popcorn:

Have you tried both on a C14?

Offline TJ

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 08:56:20 pm »

How do you measure the comfort factor?  Lenth of the peg? Location of the pegs?  I just ordered pegs and the canyon cages, I don't understand the comment.  Thanks.

ps.  Pegs I ordered:

http://www.advdesigns.com/pralhipebl.html

Those are a direct copy of the MFW Vario pegs sold by Twisted Throttle.   Which are great pegs 

Offline Zarticus

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 10:30:21 pm »
How do you measure the comfort factor?  Length of the peg? Location of the pegs?

:popcorn:

Have you tried both on a C14?
I've tried both. The AST are lower & let you stretch your legs out further. The area you can put pegs on the Canyon cages is much higher & put a lot more pressure on my hips & knees. I'm not knocking the Canyon Cages, They are very nice!!!!

Offline Hawkeye

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 10:46:57 pm »
I can't speak about the comfort added by pegs on canyon cages, but I really like the low placement of the AST pegs they do allow for full leg extension. Although to do that I have to place the back of my ankle on the peg. Pretty sure you could do that with pegs on canyon cages too.

By the way if comfort were measured by length of peg AST's would be winner for sure. Although I have heard that girth matters too, and canyon+pegs wins in that category.  :-\

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 11:09:16 pm »
Never thought about the length of the peg, and it may be a bit higher on the cages, but like Hawkeye says you're just throwing your ankles over the pegs. If I was in the birthing position, hmmm, I'd be all kinds of uncomfortable.  :-\ :truce: 

I guess I would have to test the difference, if I ever run into one of you with AST's we can swap bikes for a few miles of slabbin'.   :motonoises: <-that guy with a bored look on his face cause he is slabbn't  :D

Offline X-UFO

• Bicycle
  • Just Ride
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 02:24:37 am »
Never thought about the length of the peg, and it may be a bit higher on the cages, but like Hawkeye says you're just throwing your ankles over the pegs. If I was in the birthing position, hmmm, I'd be all kinds of uncomfortable.  :-\ :truce: 

I guess I would have to test the difference, if I ever run into one of you with AST's we can swap bikes for a few miles of slabbin'.   :motonoises: <-that guy with a bored look on his face cause he is slabbn't  :D

Great idea.  I may add a pair of stirrups to the cages.   :rotflmao: 
2012 black Concours with two brothers Carbin black series slip on, LED Kit, Garnin GPS... And 1994 Honda CBR 1000F since New, Long Gone: 1984 Honda VFR 750 Intercepter, and yamaha DT-360 (two-stroke)  on/off.

Offline Zarticus

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 09:30:11 am »

I sometimes put my ankles over the pegs if I want my legs straight but with my feet on the pegs my knees are only slightly bent & I'm 6,1 !!. The adjustability of the AST pegs is awesome!.

Offline X-UFO

• Bicycle
  • Just Ride
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 12:42:13 am »
I can't speak about the comfort added by pegs on canyon cages, but I really like the low placement of the AST pegs they do allow for full leg extension. Although to do that I have to place the back of my ankle on the peg. Pretty sure you could do that with pegs on canyon cages too.

By the way if comfort were measured by length of peg AST's would be winner for sure. Although I have heard that girth matters too, and canyon+pegs wins in that category.  :-\

I took my first ride with the pegs on the canyon cage.  I may move them forward.  My first impression of my set up is that the pegs are too high and not forward enough.  If I move them forward on the bar I may not  be able to reach them because of the angle of the bars.  Also the pegs that I selected are metal and were not very comfortable to rest my ankles on being so high up.  The pegs are also mounted about an inch above the lower bar because of the bracket included.  That makes the top of the peg even higher.  Now I understand how the AST pegs could be more comfortable being lower. 

I wonder if I can mount the AST with the canyon cages.  I like the way the canyon cages look and provide protection.  The bars may be a good place to mount lights in the future.  For now I may play with the placement of the pegs on the lower bar to see if it helps.  Maybe a foam pool noodle to cover the pegs will make it feel better.

Offline Hawkeye

• Tricycle
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 01:11:47 am »
Wow good question. I think both systems mount to the engine bolts. I'd be curious to hear the answer to that too.

Offline CW

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 01:29:02 am »
There's no doubt...Gumby has the best avatar anywhere!

Gumby: did you actually take that photo?
2010 Neptune blue C-14
2009 KLR
2103 DR-Z400S

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9735
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 01:58:00 am »
There's no doubt...Gumby has the best avatar anywhere!

+1...

Gumby: did you actually take that photo?

Do you mean with a camera timer?  :017:

That's a pic of Gumby.  ;D
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline X-UFO

• Bicycle
  • Just Ride
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 07:34:01 pm »
Wow good question. I think both systems mount to the engine bolts. I'd be curious to hear the answer to that too.

Ryan at Advanced Sport Touring answered the question after looking at a bunch of photos of my canyon cages. 

"Larry,
Based on the photos I have high hopes that they'll mount together.  The reason I say this is because my bracket that mounts to the engine bolt has the tube mounted below the bolt and this system mounts above the bolt.  It does look to me like the canyon bars will need to be bolted on top of my bracket...not before for proper alignment of both systems."

With that I ordered the AST today, and am returning the nice foot pegs I just got.   More $$$ gone, but well spent IMO.

I will agree with:

Posted by: Hawkeye
« on: July 17, 2013, 04:46:57 PM » Insert Quote

Offline Zarticus

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 10:56:25 pm »
I think they will both bolt together okay, The one problem I see is that I think the AST pegs will hit the Canyon cages when the pegs are folded up not allowing tthem to go all the way up. Let us know if it works because I will get the Canyon Cages  :great:

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11111
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 11:17:40 pm »
^  Me too.
'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.

Offline X-UFO

• Bicycle
  • Just Ride
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 12:05:47 am »
I think they will both bolt together okay, The one problem I see is that I think the AST pegs will hit the Canyon cages when the pegs are folded up not allowing tthem to go all the way up. Let us know if it works because I will get the Canyon Cages  :great:

I was thinking about that also.  The pegs on the Canyon Cages that I am returning also hit the top bar so they would not fold up all the way.  I will let you guys know if with all the AST adjustments I can get them to fit me and at the same time fit on the bike with the Canyon Cages. 

Offline X-UFO

• Bicycle
  • Just Ride
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 12:52:59 am »

I got the AST Highway Pegs installed by Rizzon Kawasaki in Middlesex NJ.  First, I could not have done the install myself without some good cutting tools to modify the AST mounting system to let it install with the Canyon Cages.  As you will see in the pictures. The bolt would hit the Bracket of the AST because of the angle of the mount.

Rizzon did a great job with the install.  As I was waiting Rick Rizzon let me take his C 14 for a ride to check out his risers. I am now on the market for a set.  What a big difference they make.  Much better riding position.  I think it will compliment the highway pegs.

I like the setup of having both on the bike (canyon Cage and the AST highway pegs).  But that being said I would have more leg room without the Canyon Cages.  I can put my legs on the pegs with the balls of my feet but my ankles are touching the bar of the canyon cage.  When I rest my foot on top of the pegs, I am near the tip of the peg because my leg needs to clear the canyon cage.

Photos:

:clap:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:57:31 am by X-UFO »