Author Topic: AST Highway Pegs  (Read 9703 times)

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10640
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: AST Highway Pegs
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 02:18:17 am »
I'd be nervous about accidentally leaving those down and hitting some twisties.  :-\

Offline X-UFO

• Bicycle
  • Just Ride
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11101
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 03:11:39 am »
I'd be nervous about accidentally leaving those down and hitting some twisties.  :-\

Not an issue.  They would fold up and back if the bike leans that far and the peg hits the ground.  Think "high way" pegs.  It was a great 6+ hours on the bike Saturday and being able to change positions was wonderful.  But I would not use them on twisties.  Shifting and using the rear brake require using the stock pegs.  I will use them on my way to VT on 87.
2012 black Concours with two brothers Carbin black series slip on, LED Kit, Garnin GPS... And 1994 Honda CBR 1000F since New, Long Gone: 1984 Honda VFR 750 Intercepter, and yamaha DT-360 (two-stroke)  on/off.

Offline RoadRocket

• Scooter
  • Carving Mountains in N.C.
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10781
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 11:33:48 am »
I think they will both bolt together okay, The one problem I see is that I think the AST pegs will hit the Canyon cages when the pegs are folded up not allowing tthem to go all the way up. Let us know if it works because I will get the Canyon Cages  :great:

I got the AST Highway Pegs installed by Rizzon Kawasaki in Middlesex NJ.  First, I could not have done the install myself without some good cutting tools to modify the AST mounting system to let it install with the Canyon Cages.  As you will see in the pictures. The bolt would hit the Bracket of the AST because of the angle of the mount.

Rizzon did a great job with the install.  As I was waiting Rick Rizzon let me take his C 14 for a ride to check out his risers. I am now on the market for a set.  What a big difference they make.  Much better riding position.  I think it will compliment the highway pegs.

I like the setup of having both on the bike (canyon Cage and the AST highway pegs).  But that being said I would have more leg room without the Canyon Cages.  I can put my legs on the pegs with the balls of my feet but my ankles are touching the bar of the canyon cage.  When I rest my foot on top of the pegs, I am near the tip of the peg because my leg needs to clear the canyon cage.

Photos:

:clap:
Is there any modification needed if you just install the AST Highway pegs. Do you have to take off any plastic?
2011 Kawasaki Concours
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa
2003 Honda Goldwing
2006 Yamaha Stratoliner
2005 Honda ST
2002 Yamaha Roadstar
2001 Suzuki Hayabusa
2000 Yamaha Royal Star
2003 Suzuki Volusia 800
1999 Suzuki Intruder
1995 Honda Magna
1985 Honda Nighthawk
1974 Harley Sportster

Email: Roadstar515@bellsouth.net

Offline X-UFO

• Bicycle
  • Just Ride
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2013, 12:08:03 pm »
No plastic was removed for the install.  But the dealer has good tools.
2012 black Concours with two brothers Carbin black series slip on, LED Kit, Garnin GPS... And 1994 Honda CBR 1000F since New, Long Gone: 1984 Honda VFR 750 Intercepter, and yamaha DT-360 (two-stroke)  on/off.

Offline Zarticus

• Crotch Rocket
  • Fanboy, Sludge wearer, Proud Rotella user !
  • COG#: 10785
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2013, 10:28:33 pm »
No plastics have to be removed if you have a 2010-2013, It's tight getting a couple bolts started on the cross brace inside the faring but doable. From what I understand on the 2008-2009 the lower fairings have to be removed to get to those same bolts.   
2012 Kawasaki Concours, Arabian Red
1986 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1983 Honda V45 Sabre, Red

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2013, 09:00:46 pm »
I've tried both. The AST are lower & let you stretch your legs out further. The area you can put pegs on the Canyon cages is much higher & put a lot more pressure on my hips & knees. I'm not knocking the Canyon Cages, They are very nice!!!!

If you use Kuryakyn offset mounts you end up being able to get pegs anywhere you want them pretty much. Want low like the AST? No problem....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline Zarticus

• Crotch Rocket
  • Fanboy, Sludge wearer, Proud Rotella user !
  • COG#: 10785
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2013, 01:08:02 am »
I've tried both. The AST are lower & let you stretch your legs out further. The area you can put pegs on the Canyon cages is much higher & put a lot more pressure on my hips & knees. I'm not knocking the Canyon Cages, They are very nice!!!!

If you use Kuryakyn offset mounts you end up being able to get pegs anywhere you want them pretty much. Want low like the AST? No problem....
Kuryakyn offset mounts give much adjustability & I have them mounted on the crash bars on both my V65 Magna's. I still do not think they would get as low when mounted to canyon cages. I have the longhorns on my Magna's so I'm not just blowing smoke. If they work for you that's all that matters  :beerchug:
2012 Kawasaki Concours, Arabian Red
1986 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1983 Honda V45 Sabre, Red

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2013, 03:19:28 am »
Well, they have 6" plus a bit of offset, so if you put them on the bottom horizontal of the cage, they will be very close to the ground, lol too close.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline X-UFO

• Bicycle
  • Just Ride
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2013, 11:34:56 am »
I will be at the Meet and Greet in NY this Saturday for anyone who is in the area that wants to check out the AST setup.  It is a leap of faith ordering stuff without putting your butt down and your legs up.