Author Topic: AST highway pegs  (Read 747 times)

Offline EZ

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11785
  • Membership Level: Active
AST highway pegs
« on: May 08, 2018, 05:42:27 pm »
Looking for opinions / feedback on these pegs, Preferably on first gen bikes but all input appreciated.   
Thank God you're alive every time you arrive!

Offline Hosspower

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12782
Re: AST highway pegs
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 06:36:45 pm »
I ended up deciding on the Ronnie Highway Pegs. Solid as a rock. I was concerned about install, mostly because you need to tap 4 holes. But it really wasn't too bad. In fact, I am sure the total install took less than an hour. I was trying to decide between the AST and Ronnie pegs. I am pretty sure you will get a lot more leg room with the AST's. The Ronnie pegs look almost stock though, not like an after thought. Plus the AST's were not available when I finally decided to pull the trigger.
Rob
2012 Kawasaki Concours C14 ABS - Kong

Offline EZ

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 12:14:17 am »
I ended up deciding on the Ronnie Highway Pegs. Solid as a rock. I was concerned about install, mostly because you need to tap 4 holes. But it really wasn't too bad. In fact, I am sure the total install took less than an hour. I was trying to decide between the AST and Ronnie pegs. I am pretty sure you will get a lot more leg room with the AST's. The Ronnie pegs look almost stock though, not like an after thought. Plus the AST's were not available when I finally decided to pull the trigger.
Rob

I have looked at several set ups including Ronnies but I don't believe they will allow enough change in position for my knee. I just cannot ride more than 80 miles at a whack anymore without standing up on the pegs for some relief.  Not sure I even like the design of the AST pegs. That with some of the horror stories I've read about AST....
Really hoping someone here has some personal knowledge but it ain't lookin good. Really trying to avoid the pegs on canyon cages but I have to do something! One knee is junk and the other one is following suit.

Offline Hosspower

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12782
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 01:18:21 am »
I got the Ronnie pegs because I had my ACL replaced in my right knee in early winter. The knee gets stiff using the regular pegs and I would have to stretch it out on longer rides. I was always concerned about coming to a stop and wondering how stiff my knee would be coming off the peg. I was concerned that the Ronnie pegs wouldn't have enough stretch but it is enough to make a difference.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 06:59:24 pm by Hosspower »
2012 Kawasaki Concours C14 ABS - Kong

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 03:40:17 am »
I just got AST pegs. They are great. The feet go out enough to get relief. That's why I didn't get Ronnies. The installation was not the best. I took the plastic off as with gen 1, you can't directly get to the mounting bolt. You need a universal and with the thread locker, I didn't want to try and get them loose. I had a couple problems with the cross bar and another part not fitting properly. I contacted Ryan at AST and he sent out replacement parts right away. I know some people had problems with him but he was great and very responsive to me. Overall, the quality is nice. Going to give them a workout at the Bun Cooler next weekend. :motonoises:

Offline EZ

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 11:01:53 am »
I just got AST pegs. They are great. The feet go out enough to get relief. That's why I didn't get Ronnies. The installation was not the best. I took the plastic off as with gen 1, you can't directly get to the mounting bolt. You need a universal and with the thread locker, I didn't want to try and get them loose. I had a couple problems with the cross bar and another part not fitting properly. I contacted Ryan at AST and he sent out replacement parts right away. I know some people had problems with him but he was great and very responsive to me. Overall, the quality is nice. Going to give them a workout at the Bun Cooler next weekend. :motonoises:

Appreciate it  :beerchug:

Offline Derek

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 11636
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 11:32:46 am »
I loved my KB fold out pegs on my C10... Helped my knees (osteoarthritis), between the RDL and these I could ride for hours.  When I got the C14 I looked for something similar and the AST fit the bill.  I had heard about AST and the  problems with orders but he answered all my emails (before and after) and I just happened to be going to Florida and within a hour of Hudson so I stopped by to pick up and pay.  They ain't the KB ones but a very close second... enough that they would be on the short list of must have farkles should I get different C14.
2010 C14 Concours
2004 C10 Concours (Lost a fight with a left turning car)
1983 Honda V45 Sabre (sold)
Ottawa, Ontario

Offline EZ

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 01:01:44 pm »
I loved my KB fold out pegs on my C10... Helped my knees (osteoarthritis), between the RDL and these I could ride for hours.  When I got the C14 I looked for something similar and the AST fit the bill.  I had heard about AST and the  problems with orders but he answered all my emails (before and after) and I just happened to be going to Florida and within a hour of Hudson so I stopped by to pick up and pay.  They ain't the KB ones but a very close second... enough that they would be on the short list of must have farkles should I get different C14.

:great: :beerchug:

Offline Jerry King

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 08:32:51 pm »
I have the AST pegs and love them.  Installation is a chore as you have to install a subframe for the pegs and not just the pegs, and some of the clearances for nuts and bolts are very tight.  Just take your time and eventually it all comes together.  Recommend removing the side plastic for the installation rather than screwing around with a univeral adapter.  Great adjustability to get the pegs exactly where you want them.  Just don't forget to fold them up when making tight turns.