Author Topic: Auxiliary Light mounts  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Jeffrey

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12338
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Auxiliary Light mounts
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2019, 10:51:26 am »
I test fitted them last night.  They fit my 2015 just fine and I am completely happy with my purchase.  I have privately offered my petty nitpicks to Peter, but they are cosmetic in nature.  Since I have not purchased auxiliary lights yet, no pictures of my install.  And since I am taking a trip to Texas in the next few weeks, and I never violate the 'add stuff to or modify your bike and take off on a 2000 mile trip the next day'.  Let's face it...selling products can be difficult on this forum because we are a tough crowd.  So if I was you, I'd buy a set NOW while you can get them!
2015 Candy Green C14.  Two Bros slip on.  Steve's 2017 EVO flash. Phil's rack. Front & Back Canyon Cages - already paid for themselves! MCcruise, Traxxion AK20 & Penske.

Offline Chuck

• Certified Curmudgeon
  • Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2019, 08:50:56 pm »
Managed to test fit mine tonight.

The perches are mounted, but it is still too cold to be removing plastics to wire up the lights.

On my 2016 model, I had to use longer bolts on the outboard screws: 2.25" (~57mm). Other than that, they bolted right up.

As soon as it is warm enough to fiddle with plastics, I'll get my lights and relay all wired up.

2016 ZG1400 Black
Corbin seat; V&H CS One exhaust; T-Rex lowering links, forks raised 1"; Murph's risers, wedges, fender extender and rear hugger; Bunch 'o RAM mounts

Offline PeterL

• Tricycle
  • Keep that platypus away from me!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 13031
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2019, 10:48:59 pm »
UPDATE- March 25
============

I've just suspended the eBay link once again. One of my customers found the fit on his 2012 C14 to be significantly off level when attached to the mirror base. Obviously, this is not what was promised nor what I wish to deliver. I'm running off a modified set of mounts for him, but am having to just eyeball the needed correction. It will be next week before he can receive and install, so there will be no further sales until he (and I) are satisfied.

Anyone who encounters anything similar can get either a new, revised set (once vetted), or an immediate refund.

Thank you all,

Peter
Mine all mine: 2008 C14 ABS (aka "Thunder")
projects: 1982 cb750F (project "Ichigo"), 1983 VF750S (x2) (I named the first one "SabreOne" just so's I could name the second one "SabreTwo-th")
just gifted: 2003 BMW K1200RS, 2018 Multistrada 950, 2019 Yamaha Tracer GT (Nice. But I'd still rather have my friend than his bikes, y'know?)

Offline Jeffrey

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12338
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2019, 12:07:50 pm »
Peter,
Are you saying that these should be level in two planes - meaning "side to side" as well as "front to back"?
Thanks,
Jeffrey
2015 Candy Green C14.  Two Bros slip on.  Steve's 2017 EVO flash. Phil's rack. Front & Back Canyon Cages - already paid for themselves! MCcruise, Traxxion AK20 & Penske.

Offline PeterL

• Tricycle
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2019, 11:19:18 pm »
Side to side should be essentially level. I left the front-rear axis alone, as the mirror base had a slight downward slope here which seemed to work well for aiming lights. It would not be a huge trick to eliminate that as well. My testbeds were only 2 bikes, so I rather figured that I'd be making revisions. It's the inexplicable  works-on-one-doesn't-work on-another reports that have me perplexed. But I am firmly devoted to making sure everyone gets a product they are happy with. I'm still hoping for more feedback from purchasers, either here or by PM, before I open this up on eBay again. I need to know what is right or wrong with the design as seen through other's eyes.

The photos here I took today, doing a test mount of my new V2 prototype. Shot #1 shows the angle measured atop the gas cap, with my bike on the centerstand. Less than 3 degrees off level. Shot#2 shows the side-to-side angle of the Kawi mirror base- 25 degrees was the angle I used for my design. Shot#3 is of the prototype with screws (2x45mm & 1x40mm) which gives between 17 to 19 mm of exposed thread, which was more than sufficient to secure with room to spare, at least on my 2008. And last- shot#4 shows the puck in place, showing a side-to-side angle basically identical to the gas cap reference point.

This geometry is the same as on the V1. Changes made were to reduce the side-to-side length by about 5mm to reduce the amount the original extended past the mirror base. I'm working on modeling the curvature that Kawi  put there for some reason, I'm just not there yet.  I also increased the depth of the recess for the mounting bolts by a few mm, in response to a request to allow use of allen cap bolts. And I shrunk the diameter of the locating nubs by .5mm, as I had one purchaser that found the original would not work on his 2014. Only one such report, but it doesn't affect the function of the nubs, which is to simply insure a  repeatable and rotation-proof locating key, and I want these to work for ANY C14.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 11:56:54 pm by PeterL, Reason: spelling error »
projects: 1982 cb750F (project "Ichigo"), 1983 VF750S (x2) (I named the first one "SabreOne" just so's I could name the second one "SabreTwo-th")
just gifted: 2003 BMW K1200RS, 2018 Multistrada 950, 2019 Yamaha Tracer GT (Nice. But I'd still rather have my friend than his bikes, y'know?)

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Road Bike
  • COG#: 12840
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2019, 12:58:37 am »
Great customer service, Peter!     :PDT_Armataz_01_37: :sign0098:
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!

Offline PeterL

• Tricycle
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2019, 10:19:58 pm »
And.. we're seemingly open for business once again.

I've now sent out V2 Pod Perches to 3 purchasers. All 3 had issues, DIFFERENT issues (!) mind you, with the V1.  In all cases the replacements went on cleanly and everyone seems satisfied. (I hope I didn't just jinx myself)

I've reposted on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123747985664
with marginally better photographs.

I did up the price by $5, sorry. It's either that or somehow convince "She Who Manages The Budget" that our last electrical bill was a deliberate fiscal attack by Eco-extremists. After 35 years with me, she doesn't convince all that easily anymore...

Thanks for all the kind words and support from everyone,

Peter
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 07:16:39 pm by PeterL, Reason: updated URL »

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Road Bike
  • COG#: 12840
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2019, 12:59:21 am »
Not a customer, but GREAT service and attention to your customers! Well done!     :PDT_Armataz_01_37:   :sign0098:
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!

Offline freebird6

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11012
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2019, 06:09:36 pm »
NOW...I am curious after reading....kudos to you for the perfection...but curiosity has me wondering if the mirrors on the 2008 you have picture will have the same geometry as my current 13.

EDIT. NVM I am going to order a pair of these and wire everything up now that the weather is better. Pics are really good ....THANKS
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 02:55:36 pm by freebird6 »

Offline greenbiker

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2019, 08:47:05 pm »
Hi

I ordered a set Tuesday night.
I’ll post up some pics after the install.
1973 RD 350 Yamaha project
1996 ZX 7R Ninja
2008 ZX 6R Ninja
2018 KTM XCW 300
2015 ZG 1400 Concours

Offline Chuck

• Certified Curmudgeon
  • Tricycle
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2019, 07:50:53 pm »
Great service and support from Peter on these.

I have a pair of the v1.0 perches that didn't fit too well on my 2016. Mainly the angle was off and there was a gap between the perch and the mirror surface.

Peter sent me the updated version 2.0 perches and they are much improved. There is no appreciable gap between it and the mirror and the angle is level. They will be staying on the bike.  :13:

Attached are pics of a pair of 2" round LED light pods from superbrightleds.com mounted, but not really aimed yet.

Chuck
2016 ZG1400 Black
Corbin seat; V&H CS One exhaust; T-Rex lowering links, forks raised 1"; Murph's risers, wedges, fender extender and rear hugger; Bunch 'o RAM mounts

Offline PeterL

• Tricycle
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2019, 04:16:28 pm »
UPDATE- April 29 2019

I've now sent out a dozen sets of the V2 Pod Perches. Everything I've heard back has been positive, which I appreciate, but I really do want to hear of any issues or suggestions for improvements.  Also- Chuck has graciously allowed me to cross-post one of his photos to my listing on eBay. I wanted to let folks see how they work on newer, shiner C14's. Also he's demonstrably a much better photographer than myself, and having only 3 pictures on the page was just sad.  Thanks Chuck!

UPDATE Redux:

The first **6MM** version of the Pod Perch just rolled off the line. Printer. Whatever. I'll  make up a formal listing for these once I figure out why eBay won't let me make a 'pick list' option unless I give them $$$ monthly for the privilege. For now I'm just putting in a 'By Request' note on the existing listing.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 08:49:12 pm by PeterL »

Offline greenbiker

• Tricycle
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2019, 04:44:40 am »
Finally got my auxiliary lights mounted.
I had a small problem with the heads of the supplied screws being a little to big for the holes.
Easily remedied with a bench grinder. See attached pictures.
1996 ZX 7R Ninja
2008 ZX 6R Ninja
2018 KTM XCW 300
2015 ZG 1400 Concours

Offline ghostrider990

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2019, 05:32:15 pm »
After four years of wanting a set of these (pCA's) I just ordered a set from Peter!  :great:
Immediate response and shipping, thanks Peter!

Trying to decide which lights to get, but leaning towards Denali D4's with Amber Kit.

I'll post up when I'm done with the install....but it may take a week or two.

GREENBIKER:
Which lites are those??
Can you dump a link on the thread please??

Thanks,
gr
My Horns have Horns.

Offline greenbiker

• Tricycle
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2019, 04:15:14 pm »
Bought these lights from Amazon.ca
I am very happy with the light pattern, strength and especially the value.
These might be replaced with something costing more in a couple of years but I am satisfied with the performance.

Here is the link

Flush Mount Led Pod Lights 48W Pencil Beam Offroad Driving Fog LED Light Bar Truck Lights Daytime Running Light for SUV UTV Jeep Tacoma Bumper Boat LED Work Light 2PCS https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07HKV8YMQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_w2NaDbDDKGNJ7

1996 ZX 7R Ninja
2008 ZX 6R Ninja
2018 KTM XCW 300
2015 ZG 1400 Concours

Offline Gixerhp

• Industry Member
  • Street Cruiser
  • The Lighting Guy!
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12189
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2019, 12:32:33 pm »
Very nice
Well since the competition has closed shop, you have a special product here.
You may want to ask about becoming an industry support here on the site, if your going to keep making these.

Great Item!
No Replacement for Displacement
Bikes are my passion and my hobbie,,
If you need help, and are close,, PM me

Offline ghostrider990

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2019, 10:35:24 am »
Thought I'd finally post some pics of my install with Peter's Pucks, and my new Denali DR1 lights.

I too have offered my nit-picks to Peter, and he has been most gracious and accomodating!
Very nice product, and so thoughtfully crafted. Can't say enough about his demeanor and responsiveness.
This is a great option for safely and firmly mounting a set of aux. light to the front of your C14.

Not the best pics, but here's how it turned out:

My Horns have Horns.