Author Topic: C14 windshield options  (Read 1455 times)

Offline DanZX14

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
C14 windshield options
« on: September 05, 2017, 02:04:14 pm »
I just bought a C14 2012.
It was suppose to come with the V-Stream installed as per the pics in the dealer's ad but when I finally closed the deal I noticed that the V-Stream has been sold and they replaced it with a stock screen but the Gen 1.
My salesman was not aware that one of his co-worker swapped screens.

So now I ended up with a Gen 1 windshield on my 2012 and it's VERY, VERY not a useful screen.
I simply don't even understand why the Gen 1 came with those on???

Anyway, So I would like your opinions on the following options that I found.

- Stock Gen 2
- V-Stream
- Cee Bailey Ultra Tour
- Givi DS Profile

I'm 6'1 and live in Montreal, Qc, Canada so we do get warm weather but cold too :)
Even tho swapping screen is not hard, I would probably prefer sticking with just one.

Yes I did read a lot on the V-Stream and the Ultra Tour but didn't find much on the stock Gen 2 and nada on the Givi DS Profile for the C14.
I did try a 2017 C14 for a short ride and found that the top of the screen seemed to move a lot at highway speed but never had bikes with tall or taller windshield.  Had 2x ZX11 and 1x ZX14.  So no movement from the screen at all even at high speed :)
So I am guessing some movements are normal with the screen on a C14 ??

Thanks for sharing your experience

Offline d04011

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
Re: C14 windshield options
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 03:11:10 pm »
I can only speak to what I have, a stock screen.  In 2015 the C-14 screen changed and has an adjustable vent in it to relieve back pressure.  It works fine for me but many folks prefer aftermarket windscreens, especially those with the earlier windscreens.

FYI - I don't always stick with stock windscreens - changed to a Zero Gravity Corsa on my ZX-14R and a lower one on my Corbin batwing fairing on my Rocket 3.
2016 ZX-14R SE
2015 C-14 Concours
2014 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
2012 H-D Fat Bob
2011 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 04:38:11 pm »
I went to a MRA Vario.
It's a short shield,, but the wind protection is amazing.
Far better than a stock shield...

I understand your need for a tall/warmer shield in Canada though.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10376
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 10:41:53 pm »
Not sure if will work for you, maybe take a look.
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=914.0

BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline DanZX14

• Big Wheels
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 04:35:13 pm »
Thanks a lot Deepsea

Even tho a lot of these guys opinions were similar there was always at least one person that felt the complete opposite about the tested windshield.  Seems a lot like a personal feeling even when comparing two person with the same height ;)

The only thing I am dead sure is that the 2008 - 2009 stock windshield is not working for me.
I could probably live with it for solo ride but with a passenger it's not a good option.
And I am pretty sure that I wont like a tall windshield that I must look thru it while riding.

So I guess I will need to find one that doesn't give the protection but the noise is lowered and least back pressure minimized and that should do the trick for me.
May try to find a stock 2010+ as 2015+ won't fit on my 2012 as I recall ?

Anyone tried a Givi DS Profile?
And thank you VERY much to the people that post picture with screen on top of each other while one is mounted on the bike.
It really give a GOOD idea of the difference on the size and the look.

Any more comments are welcome :)

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 04:58:05 pm »
I use the VStream and like it. I'm 6'2". The idea behind the link I sent was you get to try several different ones for just the cost of sending them on the the next person.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline DanZX14

• Big Wheels
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 05:45:07 pm »
Ya I got the idea but me living in canada and I had the "pleasure" to deal with customs before and trying to order within canada since then :)

Lots of C14 for sale around here so hopefully will see one that has an aftermarket windshield and just test drive it for free !!!

I may just get an Original 2012 from Kawi as they go for about $120 US and got a $80 gift card from the dealer.
Will probably be an upgrade from the Gen 1 that I have on the bike and it will be cheap.

Then I will get some driving experience in the cold (this year) and some more next summer in the heat.
That way I will know if I need a BIG shield for cold condition and go back to the original for warmer days or maybe the gen 2 will be a good overall choice that I will keep on all the time.

Thanks a lot

Offline Martin165

• Training Wheels
  • 2012 C14
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11426
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 06:43:05 pm »
I am about 6'1". In my younger days, I was 6'2". I have a 2012 stock windscreen. For me it is ok. Protects me well enough, however, it puts a lot of down force on the front forks. I will be looking for a shorter screen (and hopefully a quieter one as well). A lot of wind noise/buffeting. If you raise the screen it does go away, however, I do not like looking through the screen when driving. Holding a line when turning (hard and fast with some wind) is challenging.

Hope this helps.

Martin
2012 C14
Calgary, AB

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 01:03:48 am »
I don't mind switching windshields around. For the really hot season, I like the stock shield the 09 came with. I do feel a little back pressure and it blows the back of my T shirt up if staying local. When I first got the bike I didn't like the small shield putting bugs right smack dab in the middle of my face shield. I won a fair amount of a percentage off on ant Kawasaki product at a semi local dealer. I thought hmm the gen 2 windshield is 4 inches taller and should move the bugs over the top of my helmet. That didn't pan out and the gen 2 shield moved the bug impacts about a 1/4 to 1/2 an inch to the top of my face shield. Noted back pressure stopped or at least not so noticeable. I got a Cee Bailey from another member which is another 4 inches or so taller than the Gen 2 stock shield. Works great in cold weather but does move the mounts around a bit more than I personally like. When full up the Cee Bailey has a spot with clean air and no noise in the helmet if I duck down a little. No good cooling air on a hot day even full down.  If I where to have to stick with one shield it would be something similar to the Gen 2 windshield. Fair protection, puts the rain over the top of the helmet, goes low enough to get some air on the hot days. 

Right now I'm running the stock short wind shield because it's been warm. But using it also reminds my why I like the Gen 2 shield.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 11:46:47 am »
Dan, maybe consider a medium Cal-Sci for cool weather. It's pretty quiet for me if I duck just a bit.  In warm weather I run a gen 1 shield with a Vario-style airfoil.

If you'd like to try a tall CB I have one for sale in the emporium for the price of a stock gen 2. It's real tall though so your looking through it.

Also, I'd be interested in your gen 1 shield to experiment with for a fair price. I'd like to try a very short summer screen with the Vario airfoil.

Good luck

Offline flashback50

• Scooter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 05:06:40 pm »
I have the Vstream and love it. It is very quiet and doesn't catch as much wind as some of the larger shields. I think a few had trouble with the Cee Bailey ultra domes breaking the support brackets but can't remember for sure.

Offline Vader

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 07:03:10 pm »
I have had a 2" taller than stock Cee Bailey Euro Tour for 3 years and love it. It has a flat cut top instead of the dome. I am 5'-10" and keep it about 1/2 to 2/3 up on auto rise so I am looking just over the top. It drastically cut down on the turbulence over the stock, although it is shaped virtually the same. When it's hot, I put her down and get a good blast of air. When it rains, I raise it all the way and look through it. On the interstate running......fast....I raise it all the way and it blocks the wind and I don't notice very much back-pressure.

Offline daigs

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12259
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 07:10:40 pm »
Same as Vader, great protection on the highway, don't really use it in town.

Offline Rony6ble

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12513
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 01:48:25 am »
I have
- V-Stream
- Cee Bailey

Like both but Cee Bailey offers different H's
Concours 14 2011
Concours 14 2009 RIP
GPZ 400 & Ninja 250
IBA# 57875 COG# 12513

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11887
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 12:08:26 pm »
Cee Bailey. Construction is top notch with polished edges, I have the Euro Tour and it's perfect- I'm 5'11". I've seen/used the Cal-Sci x-large and its big/protective but not as nice a product- especially for all year riding.
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750
1983 Honda CB1000 Custom
1990 Kawasaki EX500

Offline Akumu

• Training Wheels
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 04:50:41 pm »
Keep in mind, guys. CeeBailey doesn't do motorcycle screens any more. I got the last one... (XT currently being shipped)

(Talked to one of their guys about it, and even they were surprised.)

Offline Deanc

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 10429
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 02:52:01 pm »
Greetings,
I had a VStream and found there to be too much back pressure; I"m 5'11".
Sold the VStream and went with an 08 stock shield and MadStad brackets.
Even though the 08 stock shield is small, it works well with the MadStad brackets to provide enough wind protection without the back pressure.
At least, that has been my experience...HTH
2011 C14 Silver, Canyon Cages, Leo Vince SBK exhaust, Sargent seat, SISF Evolution Flash, etc.
Sold: 2006 C10, 2 MM, SISF torque cams, Overflow Tubes, Murph Tip over bars & pegs, Rifle, Spencer Seat,  etc...  COG#: 10429

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11887
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 04:31:29 pm »
Keep in mind, guys. CeeBailey doesn't do motorcycle screens any more. I got the last one... (XT currently being shipped)

(Talked to one of their guys about it, and even they were surprised.)

Damn...I went online looking for a link to paste and couldn't find dookie...I guess that explains it. That's really too bad, their product was really top notch
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750
1983 Honda CB1000 Custom
1990 Kawasaki EX500

Offline Akumu

• Training Wheels
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 10:34:45 pm »
Just got that CeeBailey XT screen today, and it sure feels top knotch. Tall as hell. Won't be able to test it out for a few days, but it looks good and thick.

That said it did take 3 whole weeks to get the damned thing...

Offline NovaC10

• Tricycle
  • Let's ride!
  • COG#: 12198
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2017, 09:24:05 pm »
Are there any 5’ 8’’ riders with Vstream? I want to know if you’re looking over the windshield at the lowest setting.

Update:
I bought the vstream and it works fine. If there are other 5’ 8” riders out there like me, you will see over the windshield.  :beerchug:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 01:00:07 am by NovaC10 »
2010 Concours 1400
2015 Harley Ultra Limited

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2017, 11:19:01 am »
This isn't a flame....but windshield threads are nearly as subjective as oil threads, just with fewer options.  :truce:
There are alot of older threads on this topic.

That said -- I have an  XL Calsci Wide, and I don't think this brand was mentioned in the posts previous?
https://calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Concoursprod.html

There's lots of good pictures, comments, comparisons, and links to COG posts talking about these screens on their site. 
To me, one of the downsides to screen discussions is that people fail to mention particular information about their size, stature, seat, helmet, and overall setup.  There are ALOT of variables, and truly the only way to know if a screen is going to work for you, is to try it.

I am AMAZED that guys taller than me, have screens shorter than mine, and claim to have a quiet, buffet-free
ride when I can NOT find it.  :-[  Sure, if I duck down I can find that "pocket of bliss", but that's not the point.
To me, I should be able to sit in my normal riding position, and find that quiet, turbulence free zone.
Isn't that the point?
In full up position, I do have to look through the top 1-2" of the screen(which is also not ideal), but the air stream still hits the top of my helmet, and causes buffeting and excessive noise.  I don't blame the screen, but again - not ideal for ME.

I'm 6'1", 32" inseam, riding on a Baldwin saddle, AST pullback risers, Arai Signet helmet.
Even in the tallest setting, I still do not have a quiet unbuffeted pocket of air with this shield.
I have long been tempted to try a taller screen, but most recently, I'm interested in trying the MRA Vario.
One thing I do notice, is that there is a significant amount of back pressure when I fully raise the Calsci screen.
Personal observation.  Their website claims otherwise.
Simply stated, I do like this screen, but I do not have experience with others.  Overall quality is good, but it is
starting to show some signs of marring on the edges, and slight cracking at the mount holes (over tightening?).
Also, i did scratch the inner surface a little too easily by placing my helmet against it.

In the warmer months, I do switch out screens to the OEM, and I actually LIKE it 6-8 months out of the year.

If you truly want year round comfort, its' just like having summer/winter riding gear: you gotta adapt to the riding conditions!

Hope this helps.

gr
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 11:43:42 am by ghostrider990 »
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline smooth_operator

• government isn't the solution to our problems. government is the problem!
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10773
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 12:29:52 am »
I've got the Cee Bailey Ultra Dome Tour. I like it. But don't go over 110mph with the shield fully up or you'll break the shield suppoprt bracket :-[
75 MT 125 Esinore   73 CB 360T  82 Virago 920  08 Metropolitan II "step through"  2012 C14  Candy Arabian Red

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties that standing armies.
--Thomas Jefferson
 CDA 553                               END THE FED!!

Offline OKC14

• Mini Bike
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 06:56:05 pm »
I picked up the Slipscreen sport screen a few months ago, and love it. Fit and finish is much better than the Calsci shorty, looks factory. Also available in ton of colors and tints. I went with the dark smoke for the murdered look. In the full up position its the same height as the stocker in the down spot. Clean air, no buffeting really at all. I'm 6 foot and wear the AGV lid in the photo. Not so good for cold weather riding, but with my heated gear its not a big deal either way.

Offline copdocpvd

• Training Wheels
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 07:51:45 pm »
I have a cee baileys euro tour, wasn't terribly impressed.  Got an XL cal-sci that I love in cold weather, and a V-Stream that is by far the best I've owned for any motorcycle in 15 years of riding.

when life throws you a curve, lean into it

Offline C14lvr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 01:16:12 pm »
I've got the Cee Bailey Ultra Dome Tour. I like it. But don't go over 110mph with the shield fully up or you'll break the shield suppoprt bracket :-[

+1.

One earlier post mentioned seeing movement at the top of the screen, and asked if that's normal...

Yes, a small amount is normal. Large amounts may be a clue that the large brown Y bracket may be breaking or damaged.

I love the CB high dome ultra tour. Works great. Then, for shorter rides when temps pass 90 degrees F, I have a Copperdawg summer sport screen. Love it, but unless you're used to touring on a sport bike, (which I'm not,) the constant push against my chest at highway speeds and the increased roar of wind noise wears me out. So, I don't use it for longer trips, even though it's hot.

As I've said before, if you choose to use the CB HDUT, it's a much heavier, thicker, and taller/wider windscreen.

Mine worked great for 4 years, and then one day while riding in windy conditions at around 70 mph, I found out how weak the Kawasaki Y bracket and rail system on the mechanism really is.
It's very thin and weakly made where the Y bracket wraps around the back of the rail.
This small space that's engineered and necessary to allow the mechanism to ride up and down on the rail is where the movement at the top of the screen comes from. As wind pressure, either from increased speeds and/or buffeting wind pressures (say from passing semis, etc.,) pushes against the top of the screen. This puts pressure on this thin point of the Y bracket and can snap it off. It's made out of a cast aluminum material. Very thin, and very weak. So, beware. If it breaks, the top of the screen will suddenly move back towards you about 6", and will funnel the wind straight at your helmet!
The day mine did it, it was in July, I was in Kansas, it was 102 degrees, and I had my clear helmet visor opened and up, with my interior sun visor down. All that sudden rush of wind hit that open helmet, my head snapped back and all I could see was sky, and it was almost impossible to lower my head back down until I dropped enough speed. Freaked me out!

The entire mechanism, motor and all, is the only way Kawasaki sells it, for like $750.
I've never seen a good used one for sale, yet. FYI, FWIW.
Bob

2011 C14 ABS (current bike)
1982 Yamaha XJ1100J (sold)
1979 Yamaha XS11 (3200 original miles)
In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."