Author Topic: Clearwater or Denali Lights  (Read 251 times)

Offline richagpalmer

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Clearwater or Denali Lights
« on: August 20, 2019, 07:33:51 pm »
Has anyone had experience with Clearwater and/or Denali lights ?
Considering the aux lights for visibility and night time driving

Thanks

Offline ghostrider990

• Crotch Rocket
Re: Clearwater or Denali Lights
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 08:26:51 am »
Search is your friend.  :great: :beerchug:

gr
My Horns have Horns.

Offline Daboo

• Global Moderator
  • Scooter
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12797
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 04:49:15 pm »
Both are good lights.  Both are pretty expensive for what you get.  IMHO, you're buying a name, and if that's what you want, then go for it.

My current bike has Clearwater lights installed by the first owner.  One of the lights had some paint chipped off and the aluminum underneath had corroded.  The other light had the mounting bracket corroding also.  I had to twist the arm of the Clearwater representatives to get them to replace the items.  I understand them not honoring a warranty on the lights to a subsequent owner...but I felt that for that cost, and their name being prominently displayed on the lights, that they would want to replace them.

I've done a side-by-side test with a friend who has Denali lights on his bike, and the difference was like night and day.  The bike I had at the time was different and I'd mounted ADVMonster Model 30s.  https://stores.advmonster.com/model-30-led-off-road-spot-light/  Before we did this comparison, there was some discussion on the forum about how great Denali lights were and the Twisted Throttle rep said their lumens were better and brighter.  Well, they weren't.  The Model 30 at $40 a piece was far superior.

I used the ADVMonster Model 30 lights on two bikes and for about 30,000 miles each.  The lights performed flawlessly, and looked as good when I sold the bikes as they did when I installed them.

Before deciding whether to buy Clearwater or Denali lights, I'd ask yourself some questions.  You say you want them for daytime visibility and night time driving.  Will you be using them in traffic, or only in the country?  If in traffic, you'll want a tightly focused spot light that won't blind oncoming drivers.  If out in the country, a flood light style will work fine.

Then I'd look at where I would mount the lights.  Mounting them high, allows you to aim them out and down.  Mounting them low, means you have to dim them to about 10% of their output in traffic to keep from blinding oncoming drivers.

And I'd seriously recommend looking at ADVMonster's offerings.  If I were to replace my Clearwater lights, I'd probably get the Model 30 or Model 55.  The Model 55 puts out 3000 lumens in a 7 degree spot beam, with some spread to the sides designed into the reflector.

Chris

IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6

Offline richagpalmer

• Big Wheels
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 08:12:12 pm »
Thanks for your reply

Offline TireguyfromMA

• Tricycle
  • The second mouse gets the cheese
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12669
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 01:08:44 am »
I have the Clearwater Darla's (2000w each) mounted on the fork legs on my 2010.  Great lights. I keep them at ~50% with the amber lens covers on during the day to add some forward visibility to the bike.  I live in a tourist town with lots of people taking unexpected turns, not sure where they are going. I'm sure these lights have saved me more than a few times. The lens covers are great. Protects the lens from small rocks and I can change the color of the lens for night rides in 15 seconds.
2010 C14. ECU Flash by Shodabeen, Sargent seat, Pathfinder LED kit, Darla Clearwater driving lights on forks, bearings on shift lever.
2002 Honda ST1100
1998 Honda VFR800 with A&A Supercharger..yee ha
1975 Honda CB125S.  Restored. The "S" is for slow.