Author Topic: corbin seat  (Read 4617 times)

Offline brutus

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
corbin seat
« on: July 19, 2014, 02:15:39 pm »
Okay..so lets all agree..the stock seat on the 14 sucks.  it pushes your family close to the tank..giving you the feeling your about to mate with it...secondly, that one inchs (32) makes a big difference.  Soooo..question..before investing in a corbin..does anyone know what the seat height on the corbin.
Also..any other suggestions would be helpful.  thanks. :)

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9735
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: corbin seat
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 02:35:35 pm »
does anyone know what the seat height on the corbin.

If memory serves correct I think their standard cut is about an inch lower than oem seat height, you can have them adjust that though, my Corbin is about two inches lower than oem seat height.

BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline brutus

• Bicycle
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 05:02:17 pm »
Hows the comfort?

Offline RS

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 9763
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 05:40:05 pm »
I think it's a great improvement, however, the seat will sort of reposition you a little farther rearward so you may want to prepare for pullback bar risers. I also use an Airhawk seat cushion on top. I'm a big fan of this combo.
YMMV
Richard

Offline brutus

• Bicycle
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 06:32:49 pm »
ive got gorilla arms so being pushed back is better then front.  i also have an airhawk.  great addition but its only good as the seat design.  thanks for the feedback!

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 10:48:07 pm »
Hows the comfort?

Great for me.  :great: :great:

Offline Bearmark12

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11582
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 11:11:10 am »
Never had a stock seat, bought my 2011 with a Baldwin GT which I traded for a Corbin. The bucket of the Baldwin was cut too far forward for my 34" inseam legs. I was too close to the tank and felt cramped in. The Corbin's bucket is approx. 2" farther back. Much better position for me. Plus I like the fact that the Corbin is a firmer seat making it easier to move around when riding aggressively. I use a sheepskin for touring. Sounds like an Airhawk is worth a try as well.   
2011 Concours (Silver- Doing Longer Road Trips)
2007 Suzuki RMZ450 (A Day in the Dirt)
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 (Kids out,Back to Riding)
1976 Suzuki TS 400 (Red - Great College Bike)
1974 Suzuki TS 125 ( Orange - 1st Love)

Offline brutus

• Bicycle
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 04:07:58 pm »
Ya..im gearing more towards the corbin..trying to find a used one..mission impossible thought :(   what about the Sargent low 2 up? 

Offline Picole

• Tricycle
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 03:49:16 pm »
I think it's a great improvement, however, the seat will sort of reposition you a little farther rearward so you may want to prepare for pullback bar risers. I also use an Airhawk seat cushion on top. I'm a big fan of this combo.
YMMV
Richard

Topic Hi-jack alert :threadjack::  which airhawk?  I went to their website and they have a $89 one and a $150 one and that's a big price delta.

Offline Bill

• Moped
  • RUBY 2012
  • COG#: 10540
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 04:01:36 pm »
Brutus, I went for a lowerr seat for getting my feet on the ground better. I now have a Sargent "low" version and that helps the vertically challenged. When I first sat on it iwas thinking "way too hard" but after a while I think that helps on the long hauls and like stated above you can slide on it when railing the twistys. I wish there was a dealer of some kind were you could actually demo all the aftermarkets out there. "everyones tush is different"

Good luck, Bill

Offline brutus

• Bicycle
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 04:32:49 pm »
i guess the main thing for me is finding a seat that wont have me kiss the tank like the stock does.  I welcome the hard seat!  much more comfortable then soft.  I have a hard corbin on my zzr12 and LOVE it.  if i can find a cheaper alternative to the corbin..i will take it.  i just want to make sure im not sliding forward.

If anyone out there has a sargent or other aftermarket seats please give me your feedback.  Thanks!

Offline RS

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 9763
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 09:25:20 am »
Russ, I think I was only trying to demonstrate how one modification can easily force others. However, I think my Airhawk was the Airhawk2 for $89. It's awesome on the Corbin, and I frequently ride 8-10 hour days with no discomfort. Keep on farkeling!
Richard

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
  • I prefer bikes with more horsepower than noise.
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 02:46:26 am »
I have a 2013 Connie and after the first ride in June of last year I knew I was going to get an aftermarket seat. The stock seat is so painful. I ordered the Corbin seat and while it's a very worthwhile improvement over the stock seat, it's not very comfortable for long rides. The passenger seat of the Corbin is very comfortable for my wife. The back rest was a great investment for her comfort, too. I've had the Corbin seat for about a year now. I'm glad I read this thread to learn about the Airhawk 2. That sounds like a great combination to add it to the Corbin. My Corbin is leather. If I were to do it over, I'd order one in vinyl because it's easier to care for and will probably be a bit grippier than leather.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
  • COG#: 9994
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 09:10:27 am »
I'm using the "Airhawk R" in conjunction with my Corbin. Works great.
For long rides, you can change the amount of air in it from time to time to give your rear a different set of pressure points.
The Pope
2011 Atomic Silver C-14 (aka TheImprovedSilverDammit)

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
  • I prefer bikes with more horsepower than noise.
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 06:27:42 pm »
For long rides, you can change the amount of air in it from time to time to give your rear a different set of pressure points.

OK Pope, you convinced me, along with several other good reviews of the Airhawk R. I just ordered one from Amazon for $153. Thanks for the suggestion!
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Offline brutus

• Bicycle
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 08:03:43 pm »
How much should one pay for a used corbin..in very good condition...?

Offline backoutonthehighway

• Road Bike
  • ATGMOTT/MOTGAOTT
    • Back Out On The Highway
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9952
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 02:57:47 am »
love my corbin, but they lie - it took 2000 miles to break in my butt, not the 800-1000 they said.  :motonoises:
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14
2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Clasic
2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline Canada-Dan

• Mini Bike
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 03:09:48 am »
Agreed.  I've got 2000 miles on my heated Corbins front and rear and they are starting to break in for me. 
If I go any great distance I'll sometimes use the gel pad.
I do love the heat   A great addition in my opinion. Sometimes just a few minutes with the heater on and it seems to take the fatigue away.  It does get really hot too.  I need to turn it off after a short while or it's too hot.

Offline backoutonthehighway

• Road Bike
  • ATGMOTT/MOTGAOTT
    • Back Out On The Highway
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9952
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 03:40:24 am »
Agreed.  I've got 2000 miles on my heated Corbins front and rear and they are starting to break in for me. 
If I go any great distance I'll sometimes use the gel pad.
I do love the heat   A great addition in my opinion. Sometimes just a few minutes with the heater on and it seems to take the fatigue away.  It does get really hot too.  I need to turn it off after a short while or it's too hot.

+10 on the heat :great:
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14
2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Clasic
2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
  • COG#: 9994
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 08:29:36 am »

OK Pope, you convinced me, along with several other good reviews of the Airhawk R. I just ordered one from Amazon for $153. Thanks for the suggestion!

:great:
The Pope
2011 Atomic Silver C-14 (aka TheImprovedSilverDammit)

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline landman

• Scooter
  • COG#: 11621
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 01:38:16 am »
I just attended a rally in Idaho where I won an airhawk r in the raffle.the ride home was 925 miles so I tried it out in conjunction with my Baldwin seat.once I got the air pressure right it was very comfy.
2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14- sold

Offline Fork

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10691
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 01:28:41 pm »

Anyone have a pillion rider regularly riding on the passenger portion of the Corbin seat. The pillion part of the saddle seems much narrower than the seat I presently have on the bike. Just wondering if I'm going to have complaints from behind about the pillion riders behind if I get a Corbin. 

Fork

Offline Canada-Dan

• Mini Bike
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 02:20:49 am »
I regularly ride with a passenger and the passenger loves it.  The rear seat is actually wider than the stocker.
The best improvement is the way the rear seat is shaped. It keeps the passenger in their own area and off of me which was always a problem with the stock seat.
Of course the back rest of my Corbin trunk turns the entire thing into Lazy Boy comfort
Dan

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 01:58:33 pm »
Mama loves her heated Corbin with backrest.  :great:

Offline Fork

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10691
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2014, 01:59:52 pm »

Thanks for the response. I have a custom seat of another brand and was thinking of trying a Corbin to get a little shorter seat height but noticed that the pillion seat was not as wide as my current seat so wondered if rider was going to be unhappy.

Fork