Author Topic: Corbin seat for 2010 Concours ZG14  (Read 5590 times)

Offline Dayrunner

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9781
  • Membership Level: Active
Corbin seat for 2010 Concours ZG14
« on: June 25, 2011, 06:34:21 pm »
I am thinking of purchasing a Corbin two piece seat w/backrest for my 2010 ZG14. Has anyone purchased this seat? and if so what do you think? I have a couple questions on width and length; Corbin says 15 inch's long, but picture shows overlap or passenger seat? Corbin also says 12" wide, is this at the widest portion of the seat? I have measured my current stock seat (hate it) and I come up with about 32 1/2" from ground, the Corbin says 31 1/4", which is great, because I have shorter legs.
The total cost of the Corbin seat is about $750.00, is there anyone else out there with a great seat and maybe a little less cash?

I appreciate any input in order to make an informed decision!

Thanks,
Tony (aka Sarge) Ret USARMY
"I can not control what happens in my life, but I can control how I react"

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
Re: Corbin seat for 2010 Concours ZG14
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 08:27:20 pm »
 I had the Corbin on my C14. It does lower you almost an inch. It gives you much more room to move around than any seat I've sat on for a C14. The Sargent made me feel crowded and the OEM seat just sucked! The Kawasaki gel wasn't bad for moving around though.
 I don't have measurements for the Corbin since I don't have the bike anymore. It was a quality seat that of course is also firm. I used an Alaskan sheep skin over it for extra comfort. The seat with the sheep skin was an excellent combination! I had the heated option and highly recommend it. The down side of a Corbin is that it takes a while to break in. So figure on giving it some good saddle time before it's shaped well to your butt! But it's a great seat.

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 01:15:42 am »
Dayrunner,
 I put the same Corbin on my C14 at 2,000 mi. and rode it to 35,000 mi. Could not take anymore so I broke down and spent another 750.00 on a Russell Day Long, now with 9,500 mi. on it all I can say is wow I love it! (The wife loves it too.) Russell makes Happy a**!  :) The firmness was not really the problem, its the sweet spot in the seat was to far back causing the reach to the bars to be way to far. That in turn caused me to sit on the front of the seat, I'm 5'11" with longish arms.  Hope this helps.
Cliff
Cliff
2008 Concours, 225,000 miles & counting. 
2014 1000 V Strom

Offline Dayrunner

• Tricycle
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 10:15:04 pm »
 :)Just Cliff,

Thanks, that does give me another option and I like the seat. A consideration I also must make is the height of the seat, since I am only 5'9" with a 29" inseam. Like I said the stock seat is 32 1/4" from ground to top in rest mode.
Having had this seat for a period of time, is it the same height as the stock or higher? I would give up on lowering the seat for riding comfort since it only matters on seat height when stoped or moving the bike while parking. I also have to consider the riding position due to short arm reach and I have already put extensions on 2' up 3/4" back (Helibars).

I really appreciate your help!

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 12:26:17 pm »
Dayrunner,
 I personally think the Corbin you are consireding is better suited for bigger people, say 6'2" 225 lbs. because of where the comfy spot is. I say that only because when my Corbin was on & larger people sat on my bike it just fit them much better than I. When I put the Russell on it did take some getting used to when stopping because of the wings on the seat, you have to scoot forward to put your feet down. Once you get accustomed to it all is good, the support & comfort come from the wings. Just came off a seven day ride with wife & no issues at all, even though we only averaged  about 350 mi. a day. Get on the Russell website & read about it, they are very clear about the wings & putting your feet down. You can send it back & they will lower it at no charge but want guarantee comfort. To me the comfort out weighs any stopping or parking issues, if you haven't noticed I just love this seat! My seat height is 32 1/4" but yours will be different because the seat is built for your size & weight. Hope this helps!
Cliff
Cliff
2008 Concours, 225,000 miles & counting. 
2014 1000 V Strom

Offline Dayrunner

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 11:13:49 pm »
Thanks Cliff,

I did go on there website, it looks comfy! I will be ordering one in the next week, its says at least three weeks for delivery. I have even thought about making an appointment and riding down since I am about 350 mi North. They say they can make it same day, with appointment. I had never heard of Russell, so I really appreciate your help! I will let you know after I have a few miles with it, I know the wife is going to love the wider saddle support.

Offline bob

• Tricycle
  • No Pics means No Post
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 11:56:11 pm »
well here is mines. received it yesterday. had them add more form, 1 1/2. since their standard concours seat is cut about  1" lower than stock, i needed more. they didn't quite build it the extra 1/2". it feels good but a little slick, newness i guess. here is pics.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 12:09:18 am by bob »
2011 silver
kawasaki top trunk
Larrys peg lowers
Givi E55 trunk

Offline Jagman

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9631
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 01:40:17 am »
I think you just sold me on which seat to buy Bob :)  That looks great!

Offline GT

• Tricycle
  • It's all about the ride
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 11:40:35 am »
How much did they charge you for the extra foam?
1979 KD100, 1972  SL250, 1975 Z1 900, 1983 V65 Magna, 1992 ST1100A, 2010 C14

Offline Cboothe

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 02:53:59 am »
If you want a different seat for much less money.I had my seat re done at a local fab shop for about  $ 200 its great my wife loves it
Had it lowered about 1/2 inch and same day service here in utah car concept does a great job with leather

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9735
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 02:56:18 am »

Corbin makes every seat to order, there is no extra charge for taller, standard, or lower, price is the same...
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 07:45:36 am »

Corbin makes every seat to order, there is no extra charge for taller, standard, or lower, price is the same...

If you order directly from the factory. They do(did) make seats they have sold through outside vendors as well. Whether it was a drop ship deal or not, I don't remember. But I have ordered Corbin's this way. And they came in days. So I'm thinking it was from the vendor. But I could be wrong.