Author Topic: Corbin trunk?  (Read 9579 times)

Offline Kinetic1

• Moped
  • I have the best wife EVER.
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Corbin trunk?
« on: December 03, 2011, 02:20:30 pm »
Has anyone got experience with the Corbin trunk/backrest? The big 68 liter one. At $899 it is certainly expensive but looks like the best thing I've found.

"I never did mind much about the little things"

Offline Larry

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9359
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Corbin trunk?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 02:28:41 pm »
I don't personally have one, but I believe there are some on the forum that do.  Definitely nice, and I thought about it when purchasing my heated Corbin seats, but couldn't justify the money.  My Givi E55NT Tech case is fine for what my wife and I need.  Much less expensive.
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline Kinetic1

• Moped
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 02:54:50 pm »
Thanks Larry. I looked at the Givi as well. It appeared the backrest would be more comfy on the Corbin and I figured the extra storage wouldn't hurt. I have not seen pricing on the Givi as they don't have it on their web site. I am guessing it is significantly cheaper.

Offline Larry

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9359
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 02:56:04 pm »
Yes, if memory serves me right, it was about $400 for the box, and the Admore Lighting kit.
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline Kinetic1

• Moped
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 03:11:26 pm »
That sounds like a MUCH less painful option. Thanks again.

Offline Jeremy

• Road Bike
  • I put on my pants for this?!
  • COG#: 9899
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 03:45:32 pm »
I bought an E52 Maxia off of ebay for about $225.  It was a closeout item from a motorcycle shop.  I also added my own LEDs for about $80 since I didn't want to pay the $150 for the GIVI or AdMore kits.

Kick the tires and light the fires

Offline Kinetic1

• Moped
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 07:15:20 pm »
WOW that's bright. The LED's look great.

Offline anthony - Sacramento

• live to ride
  • Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10001
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 07:29:05 pm »
i dont like the trunk storage , if i need more storage i use a tank bag , reasons 1st is better weight balance with a tank bag , 2nd with that big a** box on the back of the bike , WOW even more weight on the rear tire and suspension , the rear tire wears out so fast already , why put more weight back there , 3rd wind drag , the 2 side bags are plenty   ,
love my concours 1400 , im trying to keep it stock :) hahaha

Offline Kinetic1

• Moped
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 07:41:36 pm »
I was figuring on only having the trunk back there on long trips (in additon to my tank bag) when I need the extra storage and pulling it off for daily use.
This leads me to my next question which is, does anyone make a backrest for the passenger that works with the stock seat?

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 11:50:39 pm »
I had one for a while. It is really heavy - over 40 lbs. empty. It is fiberglass. I rode with it solo and hardly knew it was there. When I rode two up, it was too much. I am only 145 lbs. with a 30" inseam so flat foot is hard. The box is top quality.

Offline EnsoniqDude

• Road Bike
  • Running Down a Dream
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 02:59:15 am »
I went with the factory 47L box and to me, that one looks huge on the back.  The Corbin looks massive and the weight issue certainly has to be factored in.

My wife liked the back rest on the factory box.  Felt it was enough for her on a long ride.
2010 C14 - "Neptune Blue" - All praise be unto the blessed color!
2007 Ural Tourist
1997 ZX-11
1984 Nighthawk S
1976 CB750
1965 Dream

"Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear and when I do, its usually something strange and unusual."

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9735
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 03:04:22 am »
A buddy of mine has the large Corbin trunk, it's not a quick disconnect like many other trunks, so that's a downside IMO...
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline Jeremy

• Road Bike
  • I put on my pants for this?!
  • COG#: 9899
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 05:29:27 am »
A buddy of mine has the large Corbin trunk, it's not a quick disconnect like many other trunks, so that's a downside IMO...

An upside would be how easy the front wheel comes up since you have roughly half a ton hanging behind the rear tire.   ;D
Kick the tires and light the fires

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 08:22:34 am »

No not at all. The Corbin is a direct bolt on top case. It is kind of a permanent mount. Yes it can be removed. But it's an involved process of un-installing it. It's meant to be left on the C14 all the time.

Offline Kinetic1

• Moped
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 06:31:14 pm »
I appreciate the input guys. Maybe I'll just get her a backrest and buy a trailer. ;D

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 02:10:56 am »
It's really not bad to take on and off. You don't take it into the hotel at night, but you can put it on for a trip in just a few minutes. The tail light has a plug and there four bolts. Have to take the rack off too.

Offline backoutonthehighway

• Road Bike
  • ATGMOTT/MOTGAOTT
    • Back Out On The Highway
  • COG#: 9952
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 12:21:40 am »
I had one for a while. It is really heavy - over 40 lbs. empty. It is fiberglass. I rode with it solo and hardly knew it was there. When I rode two up, it was too much. I am only 145 lbs. with a 30" inseam so flat foot is hard. The box is top quality.

Seriously looking at this as an option, but I never ride two up. Are those arm rests removable by any chance?
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14
2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Clasic
2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline Quickwilly

• Tricycle
  • Meh
  • COG#: 9846
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 01:10:11 am »
I have one and really like it.

and yes the armrests do come off but that leaves 4 holes in the trunk 

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 03:04:44 am »

Seriously looking at this as an option, but I never ride two up. Are those arm rests removable by any chance?
If you don't ride two up, you won't need the extra room!

Offline scgoan

• Tricycle
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2011, 04:22:52 pm »

[/quote]

I have had the Corbin trunk for two years and I don't think I could live without it. My initial reason for purchasing this large trunk was the nice backrest for my wife. Which she really does appreciate, although, she hardly ever rides with me. However, now it has come to be a very handy convenience. I use the trunk for everything from storing all of my riding gear while at work, to going grocery shopping at Costco. It is amazing how much stuff fits in all of my bags. While agree that you won't "need" the extra room unless you ride two up, it sure is nice to have the extra space when you need it. Now for the bad, the paint/fiberglass job leaves something to be desired. The paint had some drips, but I wasn't willing to send it back because it wasn't noticeable unless you looked at it in a certain light. Then about 8 months after I purchased it, I noticed some cosmetic flaws in the fiberglass. The fiberglass or maybe it is the paint that is cracking in a couple of places. I'm planning on taking in to a professional to diagnose what is causing the cracks so that I can send it back to Corbin.     

• Road Bike
  • ATGMOTT/MOTGAOTT
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2011, 09:31:35 pm »
I have one and really like it.

and yes the armrests do come off but that leaves 4 holes in the trunk

Thanks! I'm thinking it would be an excellent place for some hooks to use for tie-downs.

• Road Bike
  • ATGMOTT/MOTGAOTT
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2011, 10:05:34 pm »

Here's a shot of my Vulcan on a recent 4-week trip. By the time I get hot and cold riding gear, camping gear, photography gear, and my laptop so I can work from the road - trust me, I need a big trunk! ;)

Offline dirt_biker

• Best bike I've ever road.
  • Bicycle
  • The only way to ride and I Love it! (C14)
  • COG#: 9307
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 05:41:41 am »
I do have one, looks great, don't know it's on when I ride 1 or 2 up, my wife love it and great storage, I only put lite things it and heavy things in the bags. I would buy one again, very happy with it. :)
2015 C14,  Full AreaP, and 2" Risers, Garmin GPS, Rosta CC, PR3's, These are the other rides I have now. 76 KZ900, 98 KX500, 06 CR450R, 75 CR250M, 04 Vforce 700, 09 KFX450r

556ALPHA

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 01:20:35 pm »
I do have one, looks great, don't know it's on when I ride 1 or 2 up, my wife love it and great storage, I only put lite things it and heavy things in the bags. I would buy one again, very happy with it. :)

Do you possibly have any pics that you can share?  tks.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 03:12:57 pm »
 My opinion, for what it's worth. Although Corbin tends to make nice products of good quality. I find the looks to be a love hate relationship. The Corbin is the only top case designed to match the C14 with the looks of the bike in mind. And it does match the C14 nicely. But in my opinion, it looks a little too big on the back of the C14 and (for me) takes away from the C14's  sportiness. Plus the 40 pounds high and rear and the (semi permanent) mounting, misses the mark for me.
 My friend and COG/forum member did buy one and mount it on his bike. The carpeted inside was very nice. But I personally didn't like  the latching systems design. And neither did he when I told him that the latch didn't work and his lid was popping open over bumps. It had to go back to Corbin. There are mixed feelings over Corbin's customer service. I found it to be good, but others have had some stories. My point isn't to start a lets knock Corbin's service thread out of this either. So please lets not.
 My point of this post was to point out some of the attributes of the Corbin top case. So here are the pros of getting a Corbin. It's the biggest case allowing you more room to take things along. It has by far the biggest back rest area for a passenger. It also is designed to match the C14's OEM side cases. And in is nicely lined with carpet.
 The down side (again, IMO). It's a little too big and heavy making the C14 a much higher/rear center of gravity, compared to other (smaller) top cases. Also like I had said, I don't like the latching/hinging system on the Corbin. It kind of reminds me of kitchen cabinet hardware. Then there's the fact that it would be much more involved to simply install/remove the top case to use as removable luggage.
 So IMO, I think it may be a better option to buy the 52 or 55 liter Givi, or 50 liter Shad for a lot less money. You can probably get a fully decked out deluxe 55 liter Givi and a Phil's or Premier rack for hundreds of dollars less than the Corbin trunk by itself. That extra money goes a long way towards other farkles. The fact is that I could have installed the Shad SH46 that I had on my C14 (it came with a steel mounting plate). And I could also pretty much buy a Corbin seat (front only heated) with the difference in price between the SH46 and the Corbin. And basically, I'm not kidding. Because that's what I did!  ;)