Author Topic: Cruise control  (Read 7352 times)

Offline Terry

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10290
  • Membership Level: Active
Cruise control
« on: June 06, 2013, 09:35:17 pm »
I would appreciate any information regarding recommendations related to aftermarket cruise control products for '12 C14's.

Thanks,

Terry Wilensky

Offline Roger M.

• Crotch Rocket
    • www.ratcycles.com
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8867
Re: Cruise control
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 10:38:20 pm »
Hey terry, I was looking into electronic cruise control but found the price way too high & decided to go with the throttle meister from advance sport touring and love it!! It is a throttle lock and not REAL cruise control. Machined really nice and add a great accent to the bike as well. They replace the handlebar weights & come in black, chrome or billet. They are very well made and affordable as well. Hope this helps.  :beerchug:

AMA#2993745

Now servicing all bikes. www.ratcycles.com

Offline cklamer

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10495
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 12:30:41 am »
You can get the Rostra from Murphs and there are a couple of people that have very detailed installation instructions on the forum and on Murphs. Don't know anyone that will install these since they are actually car cruise control.

If you have never done anything like this it will probably take a weekend.

But the only one really made for motorcycles is the McCruise the really expensive one from Australia.
Unless Kawasaki comes out with something in the future.

But most of the items are manual like the Throttlemeister.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 07:01:27 am »
Here's a past thread on CC's.

My opinion: If you install a real CC, I seriously doubt you'll ever regret it. They work so much better than throttle locks, that they're worth the price. Throttle locks are easy to install and use. But they can really be a pain having to constantly change the throttle position to keep a constant speed. Again, just my opinion. I also think that any motorcycle that is classified as a tour bike in anyway, should have a factory installed CC.

Offline Roger M.

• Crotch Rocket
    • www.ratcycles.com
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 08:58:22 am »
any motorcycle that is classified as a tour bike in anyway, should have a factory installed CC.
+1!!!!!

AMA#2993745

Offline Brass

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 09:05:39 am »
any motorcycle that is classified as a tour bike in anyway, should have a factory installed CC.
+1!!!!!

Opinions vary on this

If I wanted a gold wing I would have gotten a gold wing
Shaun - Collegeville PA
2017 Yamaha FZ-07

Offline Roger M.

• Crotch Rocket
    • www.ratcycles.com
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 09:15:46 am »
True, but cruise control on a concours doesn't turn the performance of the bike down. Just gives someone the ability to give the right hand a brake on the long trips.

AMA#2993745

Offline Nerfarm

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 12:42:22 pm »
I have a Rostra cruise fitted to my 2011 1400, works like a charm, has never given me any trouble in the 18 months it's been fitted. Would not be without it. :)
Stu
Out on the Road 02-06-2013
Nerfarm
Charlton Vic Australia
GTR-AUS #224
FarRiders #206
IBA #55200

Offline Egodriver71

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'm in here somewhere
  • COG#: 8321
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 12:59:18 pm »
Having had the AudioVox on my C10 and a ThrottleMeister on my C14 V1.0, I would spend the money on a REAL cruise control anyday!!!! :motonoises:
Thomas Mann
Jacksonville, FL

COG #8321

1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)(still in the garage)
1986 Yamaha Radian (the first modern bike)(Sold)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD (the wife's first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator (Wife's)
1999 Kawasaki Concours (The Warbird)
2006 Kawasaki Vuclan 900 (Wife's)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Totaled)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 04:02:12 pm »
+1!!!!!

Opinions vary on this

Then IMO, your still on the wrong bike. You bought a bike with a semi keyless ignition, TPS and other luxury items that are not needed on the bike. That's part of the appease of purchasing a sport tour. Luxuries for touring. If you only wanted sport, you should be on another bike. Your right, opinions vary.  ;)

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 05:52:53 pm »
I have a Rostra cruise fitted to my 2011 1400, works like a charm, has never given me any trouble in the 18 months it's been fitted. Would not be without it. :)
Stu
Out on the Road 02-06-2013

Your on the wrong side of the road. :)
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline dixie

• whatcom
  • Bicycle
  • whatcom
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 06:57:38 pm »
I paid about $230 total and one weekend installing the Rostra on my 2012 two months ago, it is a very nice option, makes ownership much more pleasant.

Offline Brass

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 09:54:27 pm »
+1!!!!!

Opinions vary on this

Then IMO, your still on the wrong bike. You bought a bike with a semi keyless ignition, TPS and other luxury items that are not needed on the bike. That's part of the appease of purchasing a sport tour. Luxuries for touring. If you only wanted sport, you should be on another bike. Your right, opinions vary.  ;)

I wanted sporty bike with hard luggage, and this was the only one that fit the bill, the extra crap on the bike besides ABS is just junk that raises the price.  Looked at the FJR but damn it's an ugly bike
Shaun - Collegeville PA
2017 Yamaha FZ-07

Offline Raymond

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 8125
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 10:39:56 pm »
Love my McCruise... Expensive? Yes... But I think it's worth it. It's plug 'n play and no cutting or splicing into the bike's wiring harness. And Tony's support is amazing. Especially when you consider that he's in Australia!
RayK                                                                 COG# 8125  CDA# 0273  '08 ZG 1400

Offline lonekazoo

• Tricycle
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 02:55:35 am »
I've used a couple of different throttle locks (Throttlemeister, etc), but the problem is that I travel with other riders who DO have cruise control, and the locks just don't work well to stay "syncronized."  On the plus side, I usually get to ride in the back of the pack.

I'm not convinced I can do it myself yet, but I see a real one in my future.
2008 C14
2001 C10
2006 DRZ400

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 01:59:24 pm »
+1 on the Rostra. Installed with actuator on right side laying on top of the ram air tube under the cover.

Mine has been flawless. Even holds cruise steady at 40 mph and I've tried 30 too but it jerks a little. At 45 or above, smooth as glass, holds up steep hills, doesn't run away downhill, works better than my car's cc.

Having tested it going from western Maryland to NW Arkansas for the 2012 National, it would have been a much less enjoyable trip without the Rostra.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline Roger M.

• Crotch Rocket
    • www.ratcycles.com
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 02:18:03 pm »
+1 on the Rostra. Installed with actuator on right side laying on top of the ram air tube under the cover.

Mine has been flawless. Even holds cruise steady at 40 mph and I've tried 30 too but it jerks a little. At 45 or above, smooth as glass, holds up steep hills, doesn't run away downhill, works better than my car's cc.

Having tested it going from western Maryland to NW Arkansas for the 2012 National, it would have been a much less enjoyable trip without the Rostra.

How difficult was the install?? After all the rave reviews on REAL cruise control, reconsidering going with electronic.

AMA#2993745

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 8442
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 01:29:42 pm »
Love my McCruise... Expensive? Yes... But I think it's worth it. It's plug 'n play and no cutting or splicing into the bike's wiring harness. And Tony's support is amazing. Especially when you consider that he's in Australia!

+1  I've had a McCruise on 2 bikes now and I would do it again in a heartbeat if I got another bike.

the support is fantastic, the installation instructions are top notch and IMHO it's just safer then hacking a car Cruise control onto a motorcycle...  YMMV
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline Superdave

• Bicycle
  • Upgraded from a 2000 to a 2011. No regrets.
  • COG#: 10511
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 02:41:20 pm »
Although it is very low tech, I have a big O-Ring on my end bar that I roll into the gap between it and the grip.  I just use it long enough to rest my hand occasionally.  With a little practice, I have learned how to roll it on and off without having to look at it or changing speed to much.

Just holds with enough force to hold my speed, and easy to overcome.
2011 Silver C14
1980 Goldwing Standard
1981 Goldwing Interstate
Looking for an older bike to "cafe"

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
  • COG#: 9994
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 08:53:17 am »
I wanted sporty bike with hard luggage, and this was the only one that fit the bill, the extra crap on the bike besides ABS is just junk that raises the price.  Looked at the FJR but damn it's an ugly bike

You could have gone this route.
The Pope
2011 Atomic Silver C-14 (aka TheImprovedSilverDammit)

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 09:00:19 am »
I came into the club on that ZX14 route, but minus all the decals and bling. Just pure carbon fiber, LSL handlebar conversion, heated grips, Givi bags and top-case, etc. But I should have just started with a C14.

Re: how hard is a Rostra to install? Using Brian Felice's instructions, and putting it on the right side sitting on the ram air tube, and having read the numerous posts here about the Rostra, I'd say the first time will take you a weekend unless you are really use to that stuff. Just follow Brian's instructions paragraph by paragraph, and it will work first time.

Last one I did took me about 4 hours. Back when I could stand up that long. Stupid knees.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Roger M.

• Crotch Rocket
    • www.ratcycles.com
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 09:17:12 am »
Thanx for the info jr, going to look into it. I'll wait till we have a rainy weekend on Long Island to install it!!  :beerchug:

AMA#2993745

Offline Brass

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 11:45:24 am »

You could have gone this route.

That bike does nothing for me, it's just plain ugly

I like the lines of the Concours gen 2 more the gen 1
Shaun - Collegeville PA
2017 Yamaha FZ-07

Offline JW

• Mini Bike
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 07:39:32 pm »
+1!!!!!

I could not have said it better.  Even the BMW1200GS has a factory cruise.  Kawasaki really missed it on this one.   If you dont want to use the cruise...dont.  But for long halls it would really relieve wrist pressure.  Why do the sport riders feel they have to be so basic.  This bike is for touring and for long hauls a CC would be awesome.   Just saying!

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 09:04:15 am »
+1!!!!!

I could not have said it better.  Even the BMW1200GS has a factory cruise.  Kawasaki really missed it on this one.   If you dont want to use the cruise...dont.  But for long halls it would really relieve wrist pressure.  Why do the sport riders feel they have to be so basic.  This bike is for touring and for long hauls a CC would be awesome.   Just saying!

Well, to be fair, the K1200 and new K1600 cost so much, they better put a cruise control on it.

I was torn between a K1600 and the C14 in 2012, and realized I could buy a C14 and spend half the difference in price and end up with more of a bike like I wanted, including cruise control.

If the C14 costs a couple thousand more, you'd expect it to have cruise control, but K wants to keep the price down, it is one of their strengths in the market.

And C14s are not touring bikes. If you want to know what a touring bike looks like I'm sure someone can post some pictures. Which is not to say you can't go on long trips with it, many of us do. Heck, I know ZX14 guys which think nothing of 2,000 mile trips.