Author Topic: Cruise control  (Read 13338 times)

Offline Big-Al

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Cruise control
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2015, 08:50:55 pm »
Thanks, just figured that out, says "out of stock"  Hi ho, so it goes.  Another question, has anyone had the Audiovox type of CC install done by their dealer or mechanic?

I installed one on my friend's '99 Honda Valkrye.
Has less wiring, uses the pulses from one of the coils, and you have to make a vacuum reservoir and plumb vacuum lines. Overall, went smoothly, works perfectly.
Took me around 10 hrs., same as a Rostra.

The 100 costs a lot less than a Rostra.

I still say, if you have a carb'd bike, this works.
If you have an injected bike w/ a VSS, go with a Rostra.

10 hours to do a Rostra????

A reasonable amount of time. First install (my bike) took me about ~14 man-hours total. Second install (a friends bike), took ~10, as I knew exactly what to do. If you do enough of them, I can see it being "cookie-cutter" and taking about 4-6 hours.

Does your question mark mean you think it should take more or less time?
2012 Kawasaki Concours (Arabian Red) (1400cc)
2008 BMW K1200GT (1200cc)
2004 BMW K1200GT (1200cc)
1998 BMW K1200RS (1200cc)
1991 BMW K1 (1000cc)
1986 BMW K100 LT (1000cc)
1980 BMW R100 RT (1000cc)
1975 BMW R90/6 (900cc)
1972 BSA Lightning (750cc)
1970 Norton Commando (750cc)
1969 Triumph Bonneville (650cc)
1968 Harley Davidson Sprint (250cc)
1967 Honda Super Hawk (305cc)
1967 Honda Cub (65cc)

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11610
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2015, 12:21:35 pm »
I believe that it should take longer. But I suppose it all depends how much time someone takes to route the wires.
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline C14lvr

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2015, 12:28:29 pm »
Thanks, just figured that out, says "out of stock"  Hi ho, so it goes.  Another question, has anyone had the Audiovox type of CC install done by their dealer or mechanic?

I installed one on my friend's '99 Honda Valkrye.
Has less wiring, uses the pulses from one of the coils, and you have to make a vacuum reservoir and plumb vacuum lines. Overall, went smoothly, works perfectly.
Took me around 10 hrs., same as a Rostra.

The 100 costs a lot less than a Rostra.

I still say, if you have a carb'd bike, this works.
If you have an injected bike w/ a VSS, go with a Rostra.

10 hours to do a Rostra????

Yes. I can do one in that time frame on a C14.
I've done several of these installs, though.

I go to great lengths, and take extra pains to make sure the wiring install is neat, clean, safe, connections soldered, and looks factory installed.

It wouldn't take that long if it weren't for R&R'ing all the bodywork.
I do have a couple of other advantages, though... I hold ASE master certification, and I've also been an electrical contractor for many years. So, the wiring part is not the hard part for me.

The C14 is by far the easiest bike to install a Rostra on I've done.

The Audiovox 100 went well, too on a Valkrye.
One thing I discovered on those... If the Valkrye is all stock, and still has the EGR system installed, that gets tougher because of all the hoses and extra stuff in the way when trying to hook up the cruise cable to the throttle linkage.

So far, I've done 7 CC installs. BMW's are the toughest to do.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 12:41:05 pm by C14lvr »
2011 C14 ABS (current bike)
1982 Yamaha XJ1100J (sold)
1979 Yamaha XS11 (3200 original miles)
In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Offline Tom Morgan from Georgia

• Known to family as UNCLE SNAP
  • Tricycle
  • My life begins all over again each day I awake!
  • COG#: 8704
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2015, 01:40:00 am »
to C14lvr and others: A Murphs CCS-100 just completed on my new 2013 C14 (found new one still in a crate last month from a dealer out-of-business) .  I have a 1998 C10 with the same cruise mod and LUV'd it.  -but- when the new murph's kit came in, well... you know, the installation instructions was not for beginners... and, the wiring colors didn't match ANYBODY'S notes or the original murph's instructions!  After confirming the Servo color wiring, it should be noted (somewhere for you other guys) that if you have a RED wire from the servo connector and the audiovox manual indicates that the RED wire goes to "brake", ignore the error and connect the 'unfused' RED wire to the switched +12 source with a fuse!  Of course, the handlebar pad connector will not match the color chart either, and its RED fused wire is also to be connected to your +12 switch source.  Now, the servo engages as proclaimed! You guys might want to make a note of this to other unwary installers! I am also sending a note to murph's for an update on the newer audiovox cruise units!  Blayde's troubleshooter guide is the best but he made no mention about the RED unfused wire from the servo.     ....oh, thank you for all the posting on other installs.  Add this note to your knowledge base!   From: Happy Cruiser now.   ;)
God Bless You 'Connie riders!

Offline hlh1

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 548
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2015, 11:28:10 am »
Good to know that it's possible to install a C100 on the C14. 
06 WeeStrom, 09 C14 ABS, 83 GS1100ED,

Offline C14lvr

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2015, 01:40:40 am »
to C14lvr and others: A Murphs CCS-100 just completed on my new 2013 C14 (found new one still in a crate last month from a dealer out-of-business) .  I have a 1998 C10 with the same cruise mod and LUV'd it.  -but- when the new murph's kit came in, well... you know, the installation instructions was not for beginners... and, the wiring colors didn't match ANYBODY'S notes or the original murph's instructions!  After confirming the Servo color wiring, it should be noted (somewhere for you other guys) that if you have a RED wire from the servo connector and the audiovox manual indicates that the RED wire goes to "brake", ignore the error and connect the 'unfused' RED wire to the switched +12 source with a fuse!  Of course, the handlebar pad connector will not match the color chart either, and its RED fused wire is also to be connected to your +12 switch source.  Now, the servo engages as proclaimed! You guys might want to make a note of this to other unwary installers! I am also sending a note to murph's for an update on the newer audiovox cruise units!  Blayde's troubleshooter guide is the best but he made no mention about the RED unfused wire from the servo.     ....oh, thank you for all the posting on other installs.  Add this note to your knowledge base!   From: Happy Cruiser now.   ;)

You, by chance, didn't happen to take any pics during the install, did you? Interested in knowing what you made the vacuum reservoir out of and where you placed it... As well as where you chose to tap the vacuum source at?

On the Valkrye, I used a 6" long piece of 2" PVC, with caps on each end, then drilled and tapped holes in the side, and threaded tapered nipples in them.
Thanks!
Bob
2011 C14 ABS (current bike)
1982 Yamaha XJ1100J (sold)
1979 Yamaha XS11 (3200 original miles)
In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Offline Tom Morgan from Georgia

• Known to family as UNCLE SNAP
  • Tricycle
  • My life begins all over again each day I awake!
  • COG#: 8704
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2015, 01:23:13 am »
sorry for such a long time out of service.... in response to your question about the vacuum source, the 2013 had a large square canister under the lower right fairing and with an inline tee proceeded to connect the Murph's canister according to instructions.  The round canister was easily fitted under the right dash panel (under the right handlebar area) to run the control cable around behind the radiator.   Pictures of the install was made but later deleted them as no one made a reply to see them.  I installed the small button control panel on the right handlebar.  I later have seen some other installations since then that used the same layout and placement.  The audiovox on the concours bikes appears to be the least expensive and least intrusive cruise control system that I have investigated.  I especially like the fact that if I pull the clutch the unit disengages cruise immediately and keeps memory of the last settings.  Then, when I downshift and need a slower cruise speed, it will reset back to the rpm last used.  Hope this information helps. 
God Bless You 'Connie riders!