Author Topic: Custom Cruise Control Pad Mount  (Read 8640 times)

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
  • I prefer bikes with more horsepower than noise.
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Custom Cruise Control Pad Mount
« on: August 07, 2014, 09:43:26 pm »
I recently installed the Rostra cruise control on my Connie. I bought a mount for the control pad, but could only mount it on the throttle side of the handlebars. It was too awkward for me to engage the cruise and keep a steady speed with the same hand. I couldn't find a mount for the left handlebar, so I made one. I bought a Simpson Strongtie 66L angle bracket from Home Depot.

I cut it with a Rotozip RotoSaw with a metal cutting blade, bent it in a vise to get a good ergonomic angle for pushing the buttons with my left thumb, did some grinding to smooth out the rough edges and then painted it. I used the stock screw which secures the clutch lever and reservoir.

Here's what it looks like on the handlebar.

Here's a view facing the control pad.

And here's what the back of the mount looks like.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 02:31:04 am by Bigfoot_16 »
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Offline notsluggo

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10187
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Custom Cruise Control Pad Mount
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 10:21:23 pm »
Very nice.
If I only had the balls to install a Rostra...
Plus, I'm leaving on a 2500 mile ride in 3 weeks...
Ride safe(r).
- notsluggo
2011 Concours 14 - The Silver Bullet!
2014 KLR650 - Kelly
Parker, CO

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 02:02:47 am »
Wow, if I was going on a 2500 mile ride, I wouldn't do it without a CC. It makes a huge difference. Have a great trip!
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Offline notsluggo

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10187
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 02:15:38 am »
I've got a throttle lock (Omni-Cruise) and most of my ride will be in the mid-west so there's plenty of opps to rest the right hand/arm.
Ride safe(r).
- notsluggo
2011 Concours 14 - The Silver Bullet!
2014 KLR650 - Kelly
Parker, CO

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 02:28:30 am »
Glad to hear it. That's a lot better than a cramp buster. I tried one of those for a while and while it's better than nothing, I would still get a cramp after a while. It's all part of getting older, I guess.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 02:45:05 pm »
Bigfoot, you need to put one of Murph's urethane covers over your switch so it doesn't short out in the rain.

I've had one of the covers on for 2 years and its been through torrential rain and kept the switch dry.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 04:19:49 pm »
Bigfoot, you need to put one of Murph's urethane covers over your switch so it doesn't short out in the rain.

I've had one of the covers on for 2 years and its been through torrential rain and kept the switch dry.

Thanks, JR. I do have one and will put it on when it rains. I've sealed the back of the pad with silicone.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Offline rocknrod

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 09:01:17 pm »
That's freaky. I am building a bracket like that as we speak with similar material, with the holes in it and all. Now I don't feel so bad :)
2013 C14 Blue. Master Chief, US Navy, Retired.

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 11:05:47 am »
That's freaky. I am building a bracket like that as we speak with similar material, with the holes in it and all. Now I don't feel so bad :)

What can I say, Rod? Great minds think alike!
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 12:56:10 pm »
Rod, how did your CC mount turn out? Post some pics. I'd like to see how you did yours.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 07:59:30 pm »
Jim, Thanks for this.
 I am about to install a few Rostras on some friends and my bikes.
This is the solution I have been looking for to mount the controls.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit 100+HP  + way more torque.
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 01:30:59 am »
Jim, Thanks for this.
 I am about to install a few Rostras on some friends and my bikes.
This is the solution I have been looking for to mount the controls.

You're quite welcome, Mike. I really like it. I don't have to take my left hand off of the grip to operate the control pad.

I'm curious. Where do you mount the servo? On the left side next to the radiator like Brian does or another location? I like Brian's location for that. I mounted the brake relay in the right front and connected to the brake wires there instead of running wires to the back of the bike. That works great.

I'm really looking forward to some longer rides now with this CC installed. It's been great on some shorter ones recently.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Offline Big-Al

• Scooter
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 12:00:39 am »
And here is my bracket creation from my ~2 years ago Rostra install. A chrome 'L' bracket I found at Ace Hardware that was easily modified. Sure... not as nice as billet aluminum... but looks OK for about 3 dollars.
2012 Kawasaki Concours (Arabian Red) (1400cc)
2008 BMW K1200GT (1200cc)
2004 BMW K1200GT (1200cc)
1998 BMW K1200RS (1200cc)
1991 BMW K1 (1000cc)
1986 BMW K100 LT (1000cc)
1980 BMW R100 RT (1000cc)
1975 BMW R90/6 (900cc)
1972 BSA Lightning (750cc)
1970 Norton Commando (750cc)
1969 Triumph Bonneville (650cc)
1968 Harley Davidson Sprint (250cc)
1967 Honda Super Hawk (305cc)
1967 Honda Cub (65cc)

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 01:23:52 am »
And here is my bracket creation from my ~2 years ago Rostra install. A chrome 'L' bracket I found at Ace Hardware that was easily modified. Sure... not as nice as billet aluminum... but looks OK for about 3 dollars.

Very nice, Al. Very close to your thumb so it's easy to operate without taking your hand off of the grip. Billet aluminum is overrated anyway.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Offline Big-Al

• Scooter
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 01:23:03 pm »

Very nice, Al. Very close to your thumb so it's easy to operate without taking your hand off of the grip. Billet aluminum is overrated anyway.

Thanks... yes... works well. After seeing your modification, I wonder if the ergonomics would be a little better if I put some yaw on it like you did.
2012 Kawasaki Concours (Arabian Red) (1400cc)
2008 BMW K1200GT (1200cc)
2004 BMW K1200GT (1200cc)
1998 BMW K1200RS (1200cc)
1991 BMW K1 (1000cc)
1986 BMW K100 LT (1000cc)
1980 BMW R100 RT (1000cc)
1975 BMW R90/6 (900cc)
1972 BSA Lightning (750cc)
1970 Norton Commando (750cc)
1969 Triumph Bonneville (650cc)
1968 Harley Davidson Sprint (250cc)
1967 Honda Super Hawk (305cc)
1967 Honda Cub (65cc)

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 04:06:54 pm »

Thanks... yes... works well. After seeing your modification, I wonder if the ergonomics would be a little better if I put some yaw on it like you did.

Yaw, I think so.  :great:
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Offline JustinF

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 10:57:45 pm »
I mounted mine on the same side, but put it to the right of the controls instead of over it, and put a little bend to it and ended up painting it satin black.  Blends in well and with the location and bend you can't see the wiring either.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 12:36:13 am by JustinF »

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 02:08:41 am »
Very clean, Justin. Nice work!
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Offline RoadRocket

• Scooter
  • Carving Mountains in N.C.
  • COG#: 10781
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 12:19:54 pm »
I mounted mine on the same side, but put it to the right of the controls instead of over it, and put a little bend to it and ended up painting it satin black.  Blends in well and with the location and bend you can't see the wiring either.

Awesome job, Looks great!! Want to install mine (lol)
2011 Kawasaki Concours
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa
2003 Honda Goldwing
2006 Yamaha Stratoliner
2005 Honda ST
2002 Yamaha Roadstar
2001 Suzuki Hayabusa
2000 Yamaha Royal Star
2003 Suzuki Volusia 800
1999 Suzuki Intruder
1995 Honda Magna
1985 Honda Nighthawk
1974 Harley Sportster

Email: Roadstar515@bellsouth.net

Offline JustinF

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2014, 11:06:38 pm »
Awesome job, Looks great!! Want to install mine (lol)

Thank you.

I would love to help, just ride on over to Central California. :)

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 03:50:49 am »

Thanks, JR. I do have one and will put it on when it rains. I've sealed the back of the pad with silicone.

I sealed the back of mine too, and then put a bead of silicon adhesive around the mounting plate before pushing the switch down onto it. The buttons are not waterproof, which is why I use the cover and leave it on all the time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2014, 01:28:04 pm »
Very nice.

If I recall correctly, the Rostra is the servo-actuated cruise, right? (All electronic, not vacuum-actuated).

Those are pretty easy to install, compared to the vacuum - they're a little simpler. The biggest challenge is managing the wiring connections.

Isn't there a write-up around here for installing the Rostra, with locations/wire colors, etc?

I'm a big fan of configuring the wiring while on a bench - shorten as needed, add molex-style connectors, etc so when I actually install it's plug-and-play, rather than doing all that work directly on the bike.

Regarding the silicone covers - they seem like a great idea, though I've ridden in downpours with no problem without them. Of course, I glued the base of the button pad to the circuit board and sealed the whole control unit too. GOOP is the stuff among glues!

Nice work guys - those are pretty smart mounts! Making me rethink mine (Murph mount on the left on my C10). It's a touch awkward - seems logical to me that a thumb control should be even with or below the grip, not above!

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2014, 10:01:48 pm »
Very nice.

If I recall correctly, the Rostra is the servo-actuated cruise, right? (All electronic, not vacuum-actuated).

Those are pretty easy to install, compared to the vacuum - they're a little simpler. The biggest challenge is managing the wiring connections.

Isn't there a write-up around here for installing the Rostra, with locations/wire colors, etc?

I'm a big fan of configuring the wiring while on a bench - shorten as needed, add molex-style connectors, etc so when I actually install it's plug-and-play, rather than doing all that work directly on the bike.

Regarding the silicone covers - they seem like a great idea, though I've ridden in downpours with no problem without them. Of course, I glued the base of the button pad to the circuit board and sealed the whole control unit too. GOOP is the stuff among glues!

Nice work guys - those are pretty smart mounts! Making me rethink mine (Murph mount on the left on my C10). It's a touch awkward - seems logical to me that a thumb control should be even with or below the grip, not above!

JimBob, you're correct. The Rostra unit is purely mechanical and does not use vacuum for its operation. It's nice that you don't have find space to add a vacuum reservoir.

The wiring isn't too bad if you just take your time and fully understand what needs to be connected to what before you actually make the connections. Having a service manual was great for me. Otherwise, I could not have accurately identified the correct wires.

Go to Murph's web site, www.murphskits.com, look for the Rostra cruise control, and you'll find an excellent write-up by Brian Felice on how to install the Rostra on a C14. There may be a write-up for the C10 there, too. I haven't looked for that though.

I cut my wires to length as I did the installation. I put my own bullet connectors on where needed and wrapped the wiring in black electrician's tape to give it a neater look. You can do your wiring on a bench first, as you suggest, but you may have more wiring to collect and zip tie than I did. I took it easy and just did one wire at a time. I like the neatness of how I did it cutting each wire to the specific length I needed it.

Having my control pad above my left handlebar button console is a very comfortable reach for my left thumb. I don't have to take my hand off of the grip at all to operate the buttons.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 08:31:07 pm »
Very nice.

JimBob, you're correct. The Rostra unit is purely mechanical and does not use vacuum for its operation. It's nice that you don't have find space to add a vacuum reservoir.

The wiring isn't too bad if you just take your time and fully understand what needs to be connected to what before you actually make the connections. Having a service manual was great for me. Otherwise, I could not have accurately identified the correct wires.

Go to Murph's web site, www.murphskits.com, look for the Rostra cruise control, and you'll find an excellent write-up by Brian Felice on how to install the Rostra on a C14. There may be a write-up for the C10 there, too. I haven't looked for that though.

I cut my wires to length as I did the installation. I put my own bullet connectors on where needed and wrapped the wiring in black electrician's tape to give it a neater look. You can do your wiring on a bench first, as you suggest, but you may have more wiring to collect and zip tie than I did. I took it easy and just did one wire at a time. I like the neatness of how I did it cutting each wire to the specific length I needed it.

Having my control pad above my left handlebar button console is a very comfortable reach for my left thumb. I don't have to take my hand off of the grip at all to operate the buttons.

I think from a wiring standpooint we're talking about the same thing - modifying it so it fits neatly and simply on the bike.

For example, the Audiovox uses 2 or 3 power wires, making for a less-clean install. I consolidated all power connections into one, with the handlebar controls getting power from the harness that goes to the servo, rather than a separate wire off to a fuse up front. This enabled me to make a single harness for the controls with a molex connection at the servo. There were a couple other changes (I seem to recall having to add a wire in one of the harnesses) so the connections to the bike were minimized/cleaner, also making for fewer/consolidated failure points.

Offline ghostrider990

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 01:26:45 am »
Nice work guys!  :beerchug:

I wish so very very badly I had this installed on my recent 3400 mile trip, but there just wasn't time.  :'(

This is first-up on my winter farkle list. <subscribed>

thanks for the post-ups.

gr
My Horns have Horns.